Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #201
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gin Thread!

I have seen some make your own gin kits. That sounded exciting but I fear I would totally screw it up.
The idea of taking an existing gin and tweeking it sounds fun. I may have to try this out. what brand of earl grey is he using?
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #202
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Found this gem the other day while browsing my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.smoothambler.com/category/products/
Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #203
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Found this gem the other day while browsing my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

I'll pass.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #204
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Found this gem the other day at my local liquor store. Makes a not so great dirty martini but a great G&T. Only $20 a bottle in Columbus, Ohio.

It runs almost $40.00 out here in Cali at bevmo. Thought it was ok but wasnt for me especially at almost $40.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #205
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
Trading: (0)
TFed is on a distinguished road

He is using Rishi loose leaf earl grey tea. They sell it at Wegman's but i'm sure that there are other places to get it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #206
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Grabbed a bottle of citadel the other day.
Hello old friend. I still say top 3 $U20 gins for the G&T crowd.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #207
raisin
Still Watching My Back

raisin has disabled reputation

Jeez guys, if you were real gin drinkers you would know there is only one bottle you really need:

http://www.winechateau.com/sku137185...-DRY-GIN-750ML

Always with Fentiman's and it don't need no lime...
raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #208
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Does Fever Tree really make that big of a difference? I normally drink Schweppes, but at the moment I'm drinking Giant's store brand tonic out of a can. People on here often say it's a waste of good gin to put it in a GnT, and to use run of the mill cheap stuff in there. But I don't agree at all, I only drink high end Gin (Hendricks and Sapphire, and hope to get some more boutique stuff soon) and think better Gin makes a better GnT no matter what citrus I accent the drink with. With that being said does the better Tonic make the GnT that much better?? Going to Total Wine this week and might buy a bottle or 2 of Fever Tree or maybe Q Tonic and wanted your honest opinions, thanks guys!
Also was eyeing Bloom? Any thoughts on that?
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #209
pnoon
YNWA

RA

I'm not knowledgeable about tonic beyond Schweppes and Canada Dry but I do like Bloom gin. Like cigars, try as many as you can and find out what pleases your palate most.
I would buy Bloom again.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #210
pnoon
YNWA

RA

So I stumbled upon Bulldog gin and Fever Tree tonic. Outstanding G&T. Can't see spending the coin on Fever Tree all the time but it IS very good.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #211
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Peter, I usually start my night with a Hendricks, then switch to my 1.75 ml Sapphire bottle. I bought a 4 bottle pack if fever tree that I'll use with my Hendricks, maybe my next GnT if theres any left over, then switch to the Giant store brand tonic. Had a huge list for my party this weekend and ended up passing on the Bloom (money is somewhat tight and I can't justify owning 3 bottles of gin), was also eyeing up Bulldog, Deaths Door, and Counter, so many decisions!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #212
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Saw this in a store today, was their last bottle, had to have it!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #213
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Saw this in a store today, was their last bottle, had to have it!!!

Let me know how you like it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #214
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Oh... As a follow up. I did try the Bombay East, both as a martini, and in G&Ts (brought the bottle over to the neighbors a few weeks ago.)

Evidently I ~really~ enjoyed the G&T's, as my wife reminded me how much of an idiot I turned into. And between 2.5 of us, the bottle disappeared fairly quickly. It is now available locally, and we also have a Total Wine that just opened here... Holy cow is that store dangerous. See you in rehab.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #215
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Oh... As a follow up. I did try the Bombay East, both as a martini, and in G&Ts (brought the bottle over to the neighbors a few weeks ago.)

Evidently I ~really~ enjoyed the G&T's, as my wife reminded me how much of an idiot I turned into. And between 2.5 of us, the bottle disappeared fairly quickly. It is now available locally, and we also have a Total Wine that just opened here... Holy cow is that store dangerous. See you in rehab.
No kidding!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #216
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Had the Uncle Val's and fever tree tonic! Wow, fantastic found another store that has a couple bottles this is my new go-to Gin!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #217
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin View Post
Jeez guys, if you were real gin drinkers you would know there is only one bottle you really need:

http://www.winechateau.com/sku137185...-DRY-GIN-750ML

Always with Fentiman's and it don't need no lime...
Had Bulldog a few weeks ago. Bevmo is carrying it at a out $22 a bottle. Solid Gin at that price point. Would buy a bottle.

Currently playing with a bottle of Genius Gin out of Austin Texas. 114 proof but very easy to drink. Got a bunch of Gins we have tried I need to post about. I swear we are going to hit the end of the rainbow soon but we keep finding new Gins.

Forgot to give my dont ever buy notice on a gin. Beefeater Wet! Dont ever buy this horrid mess. I paid $8 and firmly believe I should have been paid $8 to take this. Imagine if you will rubbing alcohol with essence of Peach on top. Who ever made this should be kicked sqaw in the nuts multiple times. Crap!

Last edited by Ahbroody; 04-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #218
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

We will never hit the end of the rainbow, Monkey 47 (Black Forest in Germany) just broke a deal with an importer and will soon be sold in the states, I've looked at websites that sell it in the UK and it seems crazy expensive though but is rated very high like $45 for 500 ml, also never heard of anyone trying Williams Chase Elegant Crisp Gin (UK) also crazy expensive both are on my bucket list! If anyone has tried these do tell I'd like to hear your opinions! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #219
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Just finished a bottle if Taquerey 10, would always start my nights with a better Gin, all I can say it that it was smooth but not in a good way more of a Vodka kinda way. Smelled like a little bit of Gin and mostly nail polish remover, not enough of a juniper/botanical flavor that I crave in my Gin, would never spend money on it I'd take Sapphire or even Citadelle any day of the week for an intermediate Gin!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #220
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Chimneyfish is on a distinguished road

Awesome! there's a great ol' Gin thread!
hard to find these nowadays as people think you're a sad old man who just lost their great-grand daughters if you even touch gin.

Botanist is still my preferred drink of choice. cheap and very flowery. compliments a lot of cigars that are all floral and earthy, too! but i haven't paired gin with it for a while....... summer's here... soon.

any other good recommendations on Gins? i've also taken a shining to Plymouth.
Chimneyfish is offline   Reply With Quote