YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
For those interested in Restaurant Depot without a business license, you can join the KCBS.
One of the benefits of membership are day passes to Restaurant Depot.
Just go to the customer service desk, show your KCBS membership card and they'll issue you a pass.
You'll have to show your card and get a new pass each time, but there are no limit to the amount of times you can go.
Membership to the KCBS is $35 a year.

http://www.kcbs.us/

Hover your mouse over the join/renew tab on the top right of the screen and the member privileges should appear.

Thanks, Dom.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #4742
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Thanks, Dom.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #4743
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Mike, I do see your prices for choice brisket which is much better than Costco, at least the last time I visited. My above question was overall how you think, if you know, their prices compare to a Costco. Thanks.
It's a little tricky to pull their flyer up but here's a link to March 2015 flyer for your region. This gives an idea of some of their items but is far from all of them.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/Branc..._midstates.pdf

I don't regularly shop at Costco but my wife does shop and Sam's Club. She is amazing at knowing which stores sell each item at the cheapest. She tells me that while not everything is cheaper at RD, most items are, especially meat, cheese, SPICES, cooking oil and flour. Given my love of BBQ and my wife's baking business we rip through certain things. Flour she goes through over 50 lbs/month and if busy it can be over 100 lbs. Most condiments, sauces, garnishes, and other items like that are far cheaper. Produce is about a wash but since they only sell bulk size containers for produce, we don't buy much of it there as it will spoil before getting used. The meat selection is amazing, they have nearly everything. The cooler is probably 30,000 sq ft. for the location by me. Bring a jacket, hat, and gloves as you'll want to spend time in there. Deli meat at 1/3 the price of most places but it's unsliced. For that reason I'm looking into a commercial grade slicer. They sell whole lambs for $2.99/lb. They have Choice grade Angus top round for $3.19/lb, 81/19 ground chuck for $2.99/lb (sold in 10 lb tubes), pork spare ribs are $2.08/lb. Cheeses of every sort, including exotics/imports, for half what you pay at Kroger & much cheaper than Sams.

My wife still gets household items like paper plates, napkins, Windex, etc at Walmart, most produce at Kroger, and a few odds and ends at Sams.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #4744
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
For those interested in Restaurant Depot without a business license, you can join the KCBS.
One of the benefits of membership are day passes to Restaurant Depot.
Just go to the customer service desk, show your KCBS membership card and they'll issue you a pass.
You'll have to show your card and get a new pass each time, but there are no limit to the amount of times you can go.
Membership to the KCBS is $35 a year.

http://www.kcbs.us/

Hover your mouse over the join/renew tab on the top right of the screen and the member privileges should appear.
Very cool Dom. Thanks for the info. I may just have to look into that membership too.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #4745
Will herf for food

VR

Wow, finding the events list on KCBS website is solid gold. I'll be planning a few weekend trips to some of the local events. I think we should even plan a herf around one.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #4746
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Dixieline (a San Diego county home improvement chain) has a sale going onthis week for Traeger pellets. 20 pound bags are $11.99! All 8 varieties. No limit. They are regularly $16.99. And ~$14.50 at Costco - and usually only hickory and mesquite.

I bought 8 bags today.
Score.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #4747
Will herf for food

VR

Nice Peter. I broke out the UDS Monday for the first time this year. I did two pork butts that had been cut in half horizontally. I tried OLS's method of creating more surface area and thus more bark on my PP. It seems to have worked well. Moisture and flavor were very good and there was definitely more bark to go around. I only got a before pic as the after would have had to been taken pretty early in the morning Tuesday.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #4748
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Nice Peter. I broke out the UDS Monday for the first time this year. I did two pork butts that had been cut in half horizontally. I tried OLS's method of creating more surface area and thus more bark on my PP. It seems to have worked well. Moisture and flavor were very good and there was definitely more bark to go around. I only got a before pic as the after would have had to been taken pretty early in the morning Tuesday.
Did cutting it in half reduce cooking time significantly?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #4749
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Did cutting it in half reduce cooking time significantly?
Posted via Mobile Device
It did reduce time but not in half. Maybe a 1/3 or so less time. I picked a bad night for smoking meat as the temps plunged in the early AM hours which threw my timing off a bit. My UDS holds temp very well when ambient temps are above 25 but that night it dipped down around 15 until the sun came up.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #4750
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
It did reduce time but not in half. Maybe a 1/3 or so less time. I picked a bad night for smoking meat as the temps plunged in the early AM hours which threw my timing off a bit. My UDS holds temp very well when ambient temps are above 25 but that night it dipped down around 15 until the sun came up.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #4751
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'm in KC this week, so all things BBQ. Talking to one of the new guys at the plant, says he spends time with regulars at the KC American Royal competition. Mentioned how these guys use a UDS, but with a vertical charcoal feeder. Reading up on it, sounds like an adaptation of a Stubbs smoker, but on a UDS. Uses a 6" steel pipe, capped, with the fire box on the bottom and a PID controlled fan to heat the UDS. I haven't been able to find a link or image online yet, but look up a Stubbs smoker for an idea of how it works. Sounds pretty cool. Load it up and let the PID take over.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #4752
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Do you know when the Dixieland sale is over Peter?

EDIT: Just looked it up...29th of this month
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #4753
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Do you know when the Dixieland sale is over Peter?

EDIT: Just looked it up...29th of this month
Yep. Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #4754
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I've got some St. Louis ribs rubbed with Memphis Dust getting ready to go on the WSM in a bit. Going to smoke with one chunk hickory, one apple. No pictures as they'll look the same as the ones on the previous page.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #4755
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I have been in need of a new grill for a few years now. About 4 years ago my charcoal grill crapped out so I started using the propane grill my wife's grandparents gave us when we got married. 2 years ago, the internals of that grill rusted out so I gutted it and turned it into a charcoal grill. The issue with that is that there are so many holes in a propane grill that the charcoal would heat up so quickly and burn out so quickly that I only got about 15 minutes of cook time. Well this year my mom gave me $300 for my birthday so I went out and bought a new grill.

It has an infared burner, propane grill, charcoal grill, and a smoker box. I broke it in today by cooking a pineapple brat, a new york strip, and a bone in ribeye.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #4756
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #4757
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Cool pit.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #4758
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Cool pit.

That is cool, and a neat use of an old 1/2bbl keg, although it looks to be more of a chimenea than a cooking apparatus.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #4759
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
That is cool, and a neat use of an old 1/2bbl keg, although it looks to be more of a chimenea than a cooking apparatus.
True. The place that makes these is calling it a fire pit. So definitely more like a chimenea.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #4760
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
True. The place that makes these is calling it a fire pit. So definitely more like a chimenea.
You can actually buy these? Too cool.

BTW - wasn't knocking you or it about it being a firepit, just making a comment.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote