Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Omar Ortez Original toro

Hey, all. I picked up a fiver of these on the devil site a few months ago. Took the first one out for a spin the other day, without a camera, sadly. Here's how it went down.

Nutritional information:
Vitola: 6x54 toro
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Humi time: 4 months

The marketing:

CI: A powerful Nicaraguan puro. Omar Ortez Originals are Nicaraguan-made puros with a nice balance of flavor and strength. Dressed in a toothy, dark Nicaraguan wrapper, Omar Ortez Originals combine a bold mixture of Nicaraguan long-leaf tobaccos and hearty Nicaraguan binder. The result is a robust smoke that’s rich in character with satisfying flavors.

Omar Ortez Originals are packed bandless in Spanish cedar cabinets of 60. The lid of each cabinet lifts to grab a few smokes or flip the front facing down for a sneak peek at the feet of these dark, ligero-laced handmades.

Omar Ortez Originals received a very nice rating of ’90’ points, which noted:
"Covered in a rich, dark wrapper, this toasty cigar is full of woody, leathery flavors punctuated by nutty, earthy notes before a sweet cocoa finish. Medium to full bodied"

Altadis: True “originals” in every sense of the word, Omar Ortez Originals are rustic in appearance, robust in flavor and are packaged in unique wooden boxes. Certain to satisfy the lover of fuller-bodied cigars, these “puros” are handmade in Nicaragua with ultra rich Nicaraguan wrapper, binder and long filler tobaccos.

Prelight: Simple in presentation, with a dark, dry, veiny wrapper, bandless and rustic. This large RG toro felt very heavy in the hand. Earth and compost on the nose and cold draw. The head sliced cleanly, but the draw gave a bit of resistance.

Burn: Excellent. It lit easily, burned straight and smooth, and generated a lot of cool smoke. I didn't find any heat on the smoke even as it started to nub. The ash was very white -- pretty against the dark wrapper -- and damn firm. 90+ mins of smoking at a relaxed pace.

Flavor: The flavor was very full, rich, and smooth. It opened with wood, earth, wood, and more wood, with virtually no pepper or spice. The core flavors stay pretty consistent and balanced throughout; not a lot of dynamism, but some pleasant bitterness like coffee, dark chocolate, and stout shows up in the middle, and then some hints of sweetness in the last third.

I'm a fan of fuller-bodied fare and have developed quite a high tolerance for nicotine. But holy crap! This cigar kicked my a$$ -- the first time that has happened in a long, long time. By the time I hit the last third, I was reeling a bit and feeling the power in my gut, knees, and head. Wow. This is no morning cigar, but one to smoke after a hearty meal.

Just make sure you're sitting down.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Omar Ortez Original toro

Thanks for the review. I love the OOO.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Omar Ortez Original toro

Very Nice Review

This is a staple in my humi. Very good smoke and you really can't beat the price. When I start running low I head to the devil site and 3-4 five packs at $13-$15/Per. This is a real sleeper cigar.

Thanks for the review of these.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
MithShrike

I used to get these when I was short on cash. My B&M had them for about $3.00 a stick. After I smoked through them that was it. The Omar Ortez line just didn't sell for them.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review. One of may favorites. If they didn't come in boxes of 60, it'd make it a little easier.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. I have smoked a few of these and really enjoyed them as well. I think I got mine from Tampa Humidor at a pretty good price.

$18.00 for six in any size or shape.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
robertw1249

hi all atlanticcigars has any 5er for 12.95
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Think I picked up my 5pk on CBid for $11 some months ago
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review, been wondering about these for a while now...
Col. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote