Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
kzm007

Default A few questions about the 1960s culture?

So, watching my bootlegged episodes of The Wonder Years, which chronicled the fictitious life of Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) from 1968 to 1973, I've come across two questions:

1) In the second episode, sex ed was said to start in public high schools in 1968. Is this true? In addition, the textbook shown as being used was "Health and Human Sexuality." Was this an actual book students were used, and does anyone know by whom it was written?

2) Were these classes originally taught by the respective genders' gym teachers?

Lastly, my high school history teacher mentioned a few years ago that near the end of his life, LBJ felt exhausted by the tug of the Vietnam conflict, between the 'hawks' and the 'doves;' those for and against the war, respectively. He further noted that there was a poster/photograph he recalled seeing of President Johnson near the end of his life with long hair and the caption along the lines of "If you can't be 'em, join 'em."

3) Can anyone verify this picture's existence, preferably with an image link?

Thanks for any help, folks. That last question has particularly intrigued me for the past six years.

Kegan
Old 04-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A few questions about the 1960s culture?

I recall in Jr high school (73, 74, 75) that "Health" class was taught by my gym teacher. Sex ed was only one portion of the total class. It also included things like first aid, nutrition, drug/alcohol education, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
kzm007

Naturally . We had our school nurse come into every classroom at set times in 6th grade. This would've been 2000, if I recall, since the Towers fell a year later, by which time I was in Jr. High.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

FWIW, I found this picture of LBJ from December 1971. Not "long" hair per se, but certainly more in the style of the 1970's, and longer than during his presidency. LBJ died 13 months after this picture was taken, so I would doubt that he "went native" with long hair.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

This doesn't answer your question at all, but I had sex ed in 6th grade. And it was taught by our school chaplain. He did a damn good job, too. The course was called "Life Skills" and our text was a small paperback called "Love and Sex in Plain Language."
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
kzm007

Chaplain did a damn good job, eh? Good to know. I think I've heard of that book, oddly enough.

All we had was a health textbook...I honestly believe the same book was used in eighth grade health class for the same subject. My health teacher drew the female anatomy and likened the art as looking like Angelica Pickles. from a then-current children's show known as "Rugrats" on Nickelodeon.

Her pigtails were the ovaries, her face was the...rest of the picture you tell me:

Terrifying thing to tell high-schoolers, truly
Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Depends what you consider long hair.

As far as sex ed, I was in high school in '68 and everything we learned was self taught.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
kzm007

Oh rub it in I've been single since tenth grade...tragic.

Damn hippies
Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

I think I stayed stoned through the 60's...someone wanna tell me what I missed?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Interesting questions, sonny. Sex ed, 6th grade, 1965, taught by my male 6th grade teacher using a film strip (look it up). The girls got their own class taught by a female teacher. BTW, I would expect this to be very regionally dependent. For reference, I was in San Diego. You have to understand what was considered long hair. "Normal" hair was very short. Look in the Apollo 11 thread on this site. That is a sampling of some fairly conservative guy's haircuts in 1969. Now December, 1971 is not much later that that, but the picture from Blackdog shows what I would consider a fairly radical haircut for LBJ. You see, back then, you either got a crew cut or a flat top, i.e. a very short haircut, e.g., Buck Owens, or you got a hair cut that was "long on top" and tapered down the neck or a box cut. A box cut actually had the barber "squaring off the cut" and finishing the job with hot lather and a straight razor. It was a very "sharp" looking " "do". In 1971, I would call LBJ's cut "fashionably" long, maybe even "hip" or "with it". As far as Ashcan Bill's picture of LBJ, that would be considered very long hair for any time in this era. Even Hunter S. Thompson probably didn't have hair much longer that this. Hair that long was a symbol. All the more surprising b/c LBJ was not what could be considered a liberal Democrat by any means, or what I would consider a liberal Democrat. The guy directed, and I mean was daily giving orders, for the Vietnam war. I actually think he was one of the more influential Presidents of my life time. Now just for comparison, vis a vis, haircuts, look up the Beatles haircuts circa 1963 ( you might even find a You Tube of the Ed Sullivan Show appearance). I would bet that they were shorter that any of the engineer's haircut in the Apollo 11 picture and their hair cuts caused a major, and I mean A MAJOR, stink. Now, just comment on a modern movie that, for me anyway, captures the "feel" of this era, check out the movie Across the Universe:

Lucy's Mother: Is that fashionable?
Max: Is what fashionable?
Lucy's Mother: Your haircut, or lack of one.
Lucy: Androgyny suits you, Max.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I think I stayed stoned through the 60's...someone wanna tell me what I missed?

Not Much........
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
Interesting questions, sonny. Sex ed, 6th grade, 1945, taught by my male 6th grade teacher using a film strip (look it up). The girls got their own class taught by a female teacher. BTW, I would expect this to be very regionally dependent. For reference, I was in San Diego. You have to understand what was considered long hair. "Normal" hair was very short. Look in the Apollo 11 thread on this site. That is a sampling of some fairly conservative guy's haircuts in 1969. Now December, 1971 is not much later that that, but the picture from Blackdog shows what I would consider a fairly radical haircut for LBJ. You see, back then, you either got a crew cut or a flat top, i.e. a very short haircut, e.g., Buck Owens, or you got a hair cut that was "long on top" and tapered down the neck or a box cut. A box cut actually had the barber "squaring off the cut" and finishing the job with hot lather and a straight razor. It was a very "sharp" looking " "do". In 1971, I would call LBJ's cut "fashionably" long, maybe even "hip" or "with it". As far as Ashcan Bill's picture of LBJ, that would be considered very long hair for any time in this era. Even Hunter S. Thompson probably didn't have hair much longer that this. Hair that long was a symbol. All the more surprising b/c LBJ was not what could be considered a liberal Democrat by any means, or what I would consider a liberal Democrat. The guy directed, and I mean was daily giving orders, for the Vietnam war. I actually think he was one of the more influential Presidents of my life time. Now just for comparison, vis a vis, haircuts, look up the Beatles haircuts circa 1963 ( you might even find a You Tube of the Ed Sullivan Show appearance). I would bet that they were shorter that any of the engineer's haircut in the Apollo 11 picture and their hair cuts caused a major, and I mean A MAJOR, stink. Now, just comment on a modern movie that, for me anyway, captures the "feel" of this era, check out the movie Across the Universe:

Lucy's Mother: Is that fashionable?
Max: Is what fashionable?
Lucy's Mother: Your haircut, or lack of one.
Lucy: Androgyny suits you, Max.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
So, watching my bootlegged episodes of The Wonder Years, which chronicled the fictitious life of Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) from 1968 to 1973, I've come across two questions:

1) In the second episode, sex ed was said to start in public high schools in 1968. Is this true? In addition, the textbook shown as being used was "Health and Human Sexuality." Was this an actual book students were used, and does anyone know by whom it was written?

I graduated from H.S. in 1971 and there were no Sex Education Classes offered during my time there which began in 1967. I attended an urban area school with a class size of about 350.

2) Were these classes originally taught by the respective genders' gym teachers?

See above - not offered but if it was that is likely who would have taught.

Lastly, my high school history teacher mentioned a few years ago that near the end of his life, LBJ felt exhausted by the tug of the Vietnam conflict, between the 'hawks' and the 'doves;' those for and against the war, respectively. He further noted that there was a poster/photograph he recalled seeing of President Johnson near the end of his life with long hair and the caption along the lines of "If you can't be 'em, join 'em."

3) Can anyone verify this picture's existence, preferably with an image link?

Don't remember seeing it myself, beginning in the Fall of 1971 I was busy trying to avoid a visit to Vietnam compliments of that a$$hole. Don't remember him ever having long hair either. LBJ library at the University of TX would be the source of info on him.

Thanks for any help, folks. That last question has particularly intrigued me for the past six years.

Kegan
http://www.lbjlibrary.org/

See my answers in your quoted section. Hope they are some help to you.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

In '77 we had sex ed in 5th grade. It was pared down pretty short.
In '79, in 7th grade, it was full blown with pictures and everything.
The farthest back I can remember president-wise is all the crap about Watergate being on tv damn near 24/7, screwing up all my good tv shows. This did make me wonder why LBJ died so suddenly, being he looked so good in the pic you posted. I'm gonna go read on him.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

'73 and '74 I had a lot of courses in JR. High. Sex ed, drug education (very indepth), etc. If I remember correctly, it was taught during a 6 week period in place of PE.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Fixed it for ya.
What a D!ck......

(LOL)

But I know you knew what a film strip was w/o out looking it up....
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

In 5th grade (90-91) we had some sex ed but ti wasn't very long maybe a week or two. Boys and girls were split up and had the highschool (male) gym teacher and talk to the boys and had a film strip too. We even got handed a booklet when we left.

When I was in 6th grade we had health class which wasn't separated by boys and girls, just our gym class.

Not the sixties but I thought I would throw that out there.
Also loved the Wonder Years, great show!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Speaking of LBJ, has anyone heard this recording ? Always makes me laugh.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
In '77 we had sex ed in 5th grade. It was pared down pretty short.
A good lecturer only presents what his audience will be able to use.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
'73 and '74 I had a lot of courses in JR. High. Sex ed, drug education (very indepth), etc. If I remember correctly, it was taught during a 6 week period in place of PE.
Same here. Though I don't remember it being 6 weeks.
There wasn't a "textbook." It was more of a booklet. Some films or slide shows and a Q&A session. They focused a lot on V.D.