Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sciatica

My backbone looks like it got run through a sausage grinder. I got some hardware installed last year that took care of the bottom, but I've still got a dozen herniations, Schmorl's nodes, Tarlov cysts, and a lot of degradation of the bone. A few endplate fractures, too.
The best management for me is lots of ice coupled with anti-inflammatories and rest. Once the swelling/inflammation is out, the pain goes to a reasonable level.
I read all the stuff you mentioned, Moses. You're right on the money. In my experience, there's no sense in stopping doing anything I want to do. My back will go south if I'm working hard or hardly working. There's really no rhyme nor reason. So I just do whatever I want and suffer the consequence when it arrives.
It takes a long time until anything gets better, but you sound like you're on the right track.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Bigwaved

Trading: (3)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Bigwaved has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I will agree with the last aspect as well. As I stated, Sciatica is a generalized term that just means irritation of the nerve. I can honestly say that I have seen a few piriformis syndromes, but when it comes down to it,the piriformis was tight because of other issues.
I also agree that there are people that have no syptoms with large herniations and there are some people that have lots of symptoms with small herniations. There was a study taken that took 100 people off the street without any back pain reported ever, and it came back with about 60% of the people had some kind of herniation.
The biggest hurdle regarding most injuries to this area, imo, is the lifestyle change that needs to occur to recover properly and prevent reinjury. This costs a lot up front for later rewards. Most either are not given a true picture of what it will take or the attempt to change fails because it is really difficult to follow through with.
Bigwaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Going on two weeks and still in much pain. Went to chiro twice and now upping the ice more frequently. Was able to ride 15 miles yesterday and actually felt strong. The riding position did not irritate nerve. I notice the tight piriformis muscle adding to problem. Stretching it is so painful initially, but worth it. It takes longer to warm up to get a good stretch if I go to the treadmill.

Going to be hard to refrain for weights, but as long as I can bike, I'll wait it out.