Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Cigar Review: PIO VI Overture 1996 #2‏

This is also posted on my blog www.stogieinfo.info

PS: Let me know if I have to remove the links!

Here we go with another cigar review! This one comes courtesy of my friends over at http://www.texcigars.com/. They sent me a package of several cigars to review, and this was the first I picked of the bunch. Big thanks to everyone over at Tex Cigars.

The Story:
The PIO VI Overture 1996 #2 is a Miami rolled boutique cigar made with a 3 country blend from Brazil, the Dominican, and Nicaragua, all wrapped in a very nice looking Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper harvested in 1996. The #2 denotes the Torpedo size.

Construction/Prelight:

This cigar looks good, no major veins to speak of, with a nice splotchy looking wrapper. The flavor I get from the cold draw is a straight tobacco taste with a nice peppery, spicy, burn on the lips.

Flavors:

The initial flavors this guy produce are back of the throat spice. Very nice dry woodsy flavors develop shortly after the initial spice subsides. I have read some other reviews on this cigar's woodsy flavors remind them of a nicely aged scotch. I can't say that I disagree. The longer you get into this cigar, the heavier the woodsy notes become. It reminds me of a campfire like taste. It's very pleasing. I smoked 2 of these cigars for this review, the first with a glass of water, and the 2nd with a cup of coffee. I seemed to enjoy the cigar with coffee a tiny bit more than the plain water. I would say this is a full flavored cigar with a medium-full body. I would not recommend smoking this first thing in the morning. This is definitely an after dinner smoke.

The Burn:

The burn on both of the cigars was very straight up until the half way point. Only 1 touch up was required per stogie. Nothing to be too concerned about.

Overall:

I found this cigar right in line with my flavor profile. I enjoy woodsy/cedary smokes. This cigar seemed to remind me a bit of the Padilla '68. I would give this cigar a solid 8 out of 10.
I did a little more research on this cigar after I had smoked it, and found the price to be very reasonable. If purchased by the box it comes out to about $6 per stick. A 5 pack can be purchased here for $35 plus shipping. For a cigar rolled here in the good ole' US of A, with some solid spicy wood flavors, and at these prices. I would say "this cigar is a great buy!".
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
MithShrike

Default Re: Cigar Review: PIO VI Overture 1996 #2‏

This is one of my favorites. Definitely a needle in the hay stack but one I really enjoy.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Sounds like one to look for, thanks for the review.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Nice review! I've had the pleasure of smoking one from their classic line a while back now and if I remember it was pretty good. Glad to know PIO VI is still around.

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote