Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough
Default arguments/discussions with the educated vs uneducated?

i dont mean to start some angry flame war or piss anyone off but i have a legitimate question for the masses here.

Keeping the story short, my step-brother-in-law has recently moved into the house. I am 21 he is 29 or 30(i cant remember) We seem to have arguments about anything from cigars, cars, beer and home maintenance or anything. when they happen we both normally will think we are right, as in any argument starts. 90% of the time i will pull out my phone or laptop and look up the facts on what we are arguing about.

This is where the trouble starts. If the facts show that he is right. Then cool argument over i concede and he goes on his marry way. If I am correct he continues to argue about how he has more experience then me, i dont know what im talking about and that where i found my information from is BS. Any number of things but downright refuses until physically proven wrong.

this brings up my question. Over a few beers this weekend, a friend of mine asked if he had gone to college. which he has not. While i have been to college and done extensive training in the military. She(a 3rd year psych under-grad) then brought up that college changes how you think about information or situations. Also making you more likely to accept relearning something you thought you knew. Does this seem to be a good or possible explanation for what is going on between us or is it something else?

Id just like to understand this better. As getting into an argument or discussion where when right the other person basically just calls you a moron pisses me off.

thanks for your time fellas

* added for wayner123

my BIL and step-sister fell on hard times when he lost his job as a carpenter in Vegas. Thats the short and simple of it.

Last edited by Devanmc; 07-18-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added info
Devanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: arguments/discussions with the educated vs uneducated?

Wish I could help you Devan, but since I am never wrong I can't really help
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Don't get in to an argument with him. Just tell him it isn't worth the stress.

One does not have to go to college to be educated and many uneducated people have degrees.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Some people just can't be wrong Devan, sounds like your BIL has a hard time with being wrong so he will continue the argument just to piss you off, just don't argue with him, walk away and it will really make him mad.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

My opinion only, but book learnin' ain't got nuthin' to do with how open minded a person may or may not be to new ideas.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I think college can definitely expand one's horizons, help you understand how much you don't know and, maybe gain a bit of humility and flexibility in the process.

However, this product of a college education is by no means guaranteed and some people are just going to be stubborn in the face of a challenge, whatever they encounter. I can't tell you which kind of guy your step-brother-in-law is, but I'm glad it appears you have a good humor about the whole thing.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

The story you held back, which caused him to move in, may be a major factor to why he is so belligerent.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
One does not have to go to college to be educated and many uneducated people have degrees.
Mark hit the nail on the head right here.

But on the lighter side Devan...Boats 'N Hoes!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Being in college right now, I can tell you just because someone is in college doesn't mean they aren't heard headed, stubborn, and resolve to flat out be a dick when he doesn't get his way.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Just ignore him. If he is right or wrong just let it go. If you are going into an argument with a person who can not be wrong let him continue to believe his opinion over the fact. Then your not mad and he is still happy.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Some people just can't be wrong Devan, sounds like your BIL has a hard time with being wrong so he will continue the argument just to piss you off, just don't argue with him, walk away and it will really make him mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
My opinion only, but book learnin' ain't got nuthin' to do with how open minded a person may or may not be to new ideas.
I have a couple of friends who are both college graduates...but can never be wrong in an argument. Some people are just like that. Occasionally I find myself in a heated discussion with them and even though I know I'm right, it's easier to just accede to them and let it die. Some other times people just argue to get under your skin. Either way it sounds like it might be easier to just avoid heated discussions/debates/arguments with the guy.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Sounds to me like you are living in a house with too many personalities and you two just like to argue with one another for one reason or another whether you both have dominant personalities or deep down you get on each others nerves. I don't think the college/non-college argument may be the case as mentioned previous there are some pretty sharp people without degrees and vice versa.
My wife and I at one time between moves made the mistake of moving in to her mothers house while waiting for the apartment we would be moving into at the time to be finished being renovated. That was the longest three weeks of my life as her sister and husband were living there as were her brother and wife. Fortunately we would be getting in and out while they were there for the long haul but I found that we all argued over everything, mostly petty BS because there were just too many people living amongst each other. Once we left our relationships with them went back to normal where the rest that were still living there and continued to bicker over everything and I think now that everyone has gone their separate ways they still have some ill will toward each other because they lived like that for so long. Sounds to me that you two will continue to argue if living under the same roof together. Hopefully you guys can either patch up what seems like some sort of deep down resentment toward each other or one of you moves before it ends up effecting the relationship permanently as the longer it goes on the more you two will resent one another. I could be totally off base on this one but just giving you an opinion from experience.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

for the last 2 posts, i really try to not argue with him as i know its useless. The problem comes when we have to work on something. whether i need help with my car(im 5' 6" 135 he is 6' 1" like 210 sometimes i need more strength) , or he does with his. Most recently been refinishing my mothers bathroom. i have learned something have the facts and such to back it up but he just wont accept that it needs to be this way, this is needed or any number of things. Then when im right and it has to be re-done he wont even accept it. I guess he is just someone who refuses to be wrong.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Ain't worth it.

"You're right. See ya".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Wish I could help you Devan, but since I am never wrong I can't really help
I'm with Mike I'm wrong once a year and that usually falls on my birthday...nothing I can do for you
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

If that's the case than it could be that he's just a d*ck!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Sorry your in this situation. This is usually a no win situation with someone you live with.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Sorry your in this situation. This is usually a no win situation with someone you live with.
i move across the state to school in 6weeks.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
i move across the state to school in 6weeks.
By improving yourself and learning new things you have won the argument. Maybe he fights with you because he thinks he as achieved all he can, so he has to belittle you to prove he is a "MAN". Just know that you are going to be better then that!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
By improving yourself and learning new things you have won the argument. Maybe he fights with you because he thinks he as achieved all he can, so he has to belittle you to prove he is a "MAN". Just know that you are going to be better then that!!!
well he is going to ITT for some tech degree. so unless someone can prove the a major university makes me better then him going to a tech school(which i HIGHLY doubt) then we are even. But i guess we could go with that he is (see above in bold) mad that he wasn't able to go to school when he was younger and maybe feels ive achieved more(time spent in military) then he was able to at my age, thus what you are referring to?

i feel like that idea is confusing to read.