Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #1361
Sherlockholms

Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

When freezing cigars how long after freezing them can you ship them out?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #1362
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms View Post
When freezing cigars how long after freezing them can you ship them out?
I would wait as long as you would before smoking them yourself.
I don't freeze but I would suggest a week or two in your own normal stable environment should be fine.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #1363
Sherlockholms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I would wait as long as you would before smoking them yourself.
I don't freeze but I would suggest a week or two in your own normal stable environment should be fine.
That clears it up for me . I was going to jump in the PIF but the sticks I am going to send are in the freezer right now. I will wait a few weeks before Sending them out
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #1364
lukemoney

thanks i gonna check into getting that
Old 08-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #1365
fritz43096

I was at my "not as local as I wish it were" cigar shop the other day and mentioned to the man running the store that I did most of my shopping online bcause I live so far out of the city. He said something like, "thats a shame because cigars that you buy online are made to be sold online." Does anyone know what he might have meant? (I didn't much care for the guy so I didn't continue the conversation, bought my sticks and left.)

Is there a difference in cigars sold online vs in a store?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #1366
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz43096 View Post
I was at my "not as local as I wish it were" cigar shop the other day and mentioned to the man running the store that I did most of my shopping online bcause I live so far out of the city. He said something like, "thats a shame because cigars that you buy online are made to be sold online." Does anyone know what he might have meant? (I didn't much care for the guy so I didn't continue the conversation, bought my sticks and left.)

Classic. We had quite the discussion about this some time ago.

My opinion? Absolutely none.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #1367
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Classic. We had quite the discussion about this some time ago.

My opinion? Absolutely none.
Happy reading.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10764

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #1368
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Unfortunately, that's a very oft repeated, but largely inaccurate statement.

In all the factories I have been to, I have never seen any such thing as a difference in _the_cigars_. I have seen packaging differences though. Sometimes, large e-tailers with substantial buying power, will order a very large quantity of cigars to be delivered in factory mazos (cellophane wrapped bundles) of 20 cigars (or whatever, 10, 15, 25...) rather than in boxes, in order to get the cigars at a lower price since they aren't paying for a box.

I have personally watched the cigars being pulled from a singe batch in the aging room, be delivered to the sorting tables, be color sorted and bundled, these bundles then handed off randomly to the banding and cello tables, then passed to the final assembly of one section doing boxes, the other packing mazos. No distinction whatsoever is made for the cigars. They all started from the same batch and any one cigar could have ended up in either a box or a mazo - it all depended on which table it randomly ended up at.

Last edited by T.G; 08-05-2011 at 07:18 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1369
fritz43096

Wow....um..in an effort to keep what happened on that original thread that Icehog linked for me from happening here....I've got my answer..thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #1370
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Wow....um..in an effort to keep what happened on that original thread that Icehog linked for me from happening here....I've got my answer..thanks!
Good call, Brent!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #1371
VACigarSmoker

I was just looking at the Oliva site and read this. "Proper storage is fundamental. Cigars should be stored without cellophane in a humidor which has an adequate seal."

I've always kept my cigars in the cellophane just wanted to kick it around here.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #1372
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACigarSmoker View Post
I was just looking at the Oliva site and read this. "Proper storage is fundamental. Cigars should be stored without cellophane in a humidor which has an adequate seal."

I've always kept my cigars in the cellophane just wanted to kick it around here.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #1373
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACigarSmoker View Post

The cigars will be just fine in the cello.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #1374
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Tom is wise! (and apparently Oliva is not)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #1375
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Tom is wise! (and apparently Oliva is not)
I Always Leave Mine In Cello If They Come That Way. It Gives The Sticks Some Protection & Air Flows Through The Cello Just Fine.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #1376
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

So I was talking to a friend about a cigar that he had gifted me and how the ash was SUPER straight and how the next day I had one of my favorite cigars and the ash was titled.
He was telling me that a cigar is like wine and needs to be rotated occationally to keep the humidity equal around it.
Now He does have a very large collection and it was a very well kept cigar so I believe him, but it got me wondering....... How often do you rotate the cigars and while turning them, do you also put it into a different area in the humidor?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #1377
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
So I was talking to a friend about a cigar that he had gifted me and how the ash was SUPER straight and how the next day I had one of my favorite cigars and the ash was titled.
He was telling me that a cigar is like wine and needs to be rotated occationally to keep the humidity equal around it.
Now He does have a very large collection and it was a very well kept cigar so I believe him, but it got me wondering....... How often do you rotate the cigars and while turning them, do you also put it into a different area in the humidor?
Rotation is one of the religious questions some do it, some don't and everyone is happy with what they do or don't do.

Some tobacco blends and rollers produce better ash than others. Not sure that there is anything more to it than that. The RH range that we tend to keep our cigars at (~ 60%-70%) is pretty narrow. Not sure how to correlate RH with "tight ash".

In any case, I would not worry about it. Just enjoy your cigar

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #1378
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I bought some aged cigars recently that hadn't been removed from their box at all since the day they were bought. Every one I burned burned crooked because they had been sitting so long in what I'm guessing was a bit higher humidity than I keep my cigars (65%). I've rotated them and will let them rest in my humi for a while before I smoke another.

All my other cigars, in a box or not...I've never rotated and haven't had any burning issues unless the cigar itself has construction issues.

Long answer short: I wouldn't worry about rotating your cigars.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #1379
iamsolitary
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
iamsolitary is on a distinguished road

I'm curious what people use to take notes on the cigars they have tried. I am a cigar newb and I want to try a variety of cigars to figure out what I like.

A notebook would be a simple solution but I feel like after a very short while it would become a pain to look through.
iamsolitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #1380
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Poeple use all kinds of stuff for notes. Word, Excel, a notebook, etc. A CA member created an iPhone app called Mobile Stogie that is also quite popular. You can find it in the App store. There are also a couple of apps for Android phones.