Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road
Question Car roof rack recommendations

Hey all,

I'm thinking about finally breaking down and getting a roof rack for my car. The wife and I will be doing a lot of outdoor activities and will need the extra cargo space. I know there are two main players in the car roof rack space: Thule & Yakima. Does anyone have any experience with either brand? I've been looking at Yakima as a few friends have had good success with them. Yet it would be bad not to give Thule a review either. Please let me know your thoughts. Specifically I'm looking to get a cargo rack and any necessary mounting equipment. My car does not have any roof rails so I'll be getting the entire setup.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Car roof rack recommendations

I have used a Thule roof rack and a Yakima Bike rack on my Altima. I thought both were good products and worth the money. Most people I knew with a roof rack had Thule or Yakima. I would say more often than not the kayakers had Yakima's. Never asked why but I did notice that trend.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I ran Thules on both my Explorers for years, never had a single problem with them. Solid and pretty bombproof. Quite frankly, I think both systems will do you well, and have a proven track record. I liked the thule square bars because they seemed to hold a load solidly when hauling 2x4s or materiel up top, (the flat rubberized coating on the bars with a bigger surface area than the round Yaks. Could just be a false impression, though.)
If one of the companies accessories looks better or more useful for you in your philosophy of use for the things you will be putting on it, and the price differential makes no difference, go with the most "YOU-friendly" system.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

When I had my Cherokee I had a Thule ski/snowboard rack. It was good, but the Yakima was about the same. I just got a better deal on the Thule. I gave the rack to my brother, considering I live in Florida now and have no need for a ski/snowboard rack. I would choose the option which is best for you though.
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. That is what I figured. Really can't go wrong with either one.

I'm just happy this didn't turn Mac vs PC.