Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
stumm729

Thumbs up Veritas Tri (My First Cigar Review)

A little Preface. This is my first cigar review. Basically, the first time I smoked with a camera nearby. I received this Veritas Tri from a friend. He plays Hockey with the owner/creator of Veritas, a new brand released in June, I believe.

TRI
6x60 triple wrapped
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Connecticut, Ecuadorian habano, and Mexican broad leaf maduro

So lets get started.

First Third

The first third started a bit mellow. Very few distinct tastes coming through the big ringed cigar. The flavor was of mild earth with a hint (and I mean hint) of pepper. Overall the feel was bit dry in the fist third. As for burn and ash, the burn was straight, not needing any correction and the ash was a light gray and held strong through the connecticut wrapper. Dropping off only just as the Habano wrapper began.
This first third left me looking for something more. Which gladly, I was about to find.

Second Third

The second third started with a PUNCH! Moments before the ash dropped, leaving the Connecticut shade wrapper behind, I got slapped with some heavy pepper flavor. Deeper, richer flavor then I had expected. This last for a a few minutes, filling my palette with spice and flavors of leather and slight cedar.
As the habano wrapped second third burned on, the flavor again leveled out, leaving only the cedar taste for the majority of the second third. Just as the third came to a close, the spice returned, as strong as it was in the beginning. It was a welcome taste nearing the end of this intriguing smoke.
The ash here became darker and ratty, not as light and tightly held as in the first third. The burn remained fairly even, only having to correct once.

Final Third

Coming down from the shock of spice rounding out the end of the second third, the final third, wrapped in Mexican Maduro, was smooth and soothing. The flavors weren't harsh or dry like the cigar had started, but were smooth and dark. Something along the lines of molasses, but not as sweet. Still there were hints of pepper and earth. The burn remains relatively straight, and no more ash falls from here on out.

I was only able to last down to about an inch of its life, the burn gets a little hot for me, maybe for anyone.
I was intrigued by this cigar. Three wrappers. Large form factor. New Brand. I have never tried a triple wrapped cigar and generally steer towards the darker wraps. In the end though, I was pleasantly surprised by this smoke. Sure it left me wanting a bit more in the beginning, but maybe thats the point. The lead in. Moving quickly from mellow to heavy spice, back to the mellow side of cedar, smacking once more with spice, only to cool down again in the thick maduro smoke.
This cigar was an experience to say the least.
And with a price tag of free (for me at least) was well worth the try.
I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for something new, or just for fun. Hopefully this is a good omen for a new Brand hitting the streets. I'm looking forward to trying their other cigars as well.

I hope my first review isn't too horrible, and that I stayed as close to neutral as possible.
Have a great day everybody.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: Veritas Tri (My First Cigar Review)

Nice review looks like the cigar made it pretty easy to tell where the 3rds were
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
stumm729

Seriously
Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Can anyone explain how a cigar like this would be rolled?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Nice review!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
stumm729

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Can anyone explain how a cigar like this would be rolled?
slowly?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice first review.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
stumm729

Thanks! I was actually just given another one of Veritas' wraps.. I might do another review. Certainly not plugging them, but I'm interested to see if this other cigar from them will stand up to the Tri.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Great review. I'll have to get me one of those.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Nice review, sounds interesting.