Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars in Costa Rica

Headed to Costa Rica for a week or so. Was wondering if I should bring my own cigars or get some there. Not really interested in CC's. Do they grow tobaccy in Costa Rica?

Thanks,
Zach
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars in Costa Rica

There are tobacco growers as well as cigar manufacturers in Costa Rica, Zach. Can't speak for the cigars themselves, the only cigars I have had that I know had CR tobacco in them were a couple of CAOs.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

Take your own they all suck, There are a couple tours that are fun but the cigars are not very good and most Cubans are fake with a couple exceptions.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Bucanero used to have a lot of cigars with Costa Rican Tobac. Don Tuto is a cheapie Costa Rican Puro, but one I happen to really like.

FWIW
Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

My kid went to Costa Rica on a school trip and managed to smuggle back a box of 5 CR smokes called Tobacos Exclusivo. They were pretty fresh when I smoked the first couple and they tasted pretty darn good. I'm letting the last one rest for a while to see what it turns into.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
My kid went to Costa Rica on a school trip and managed to smuggle back a box of 5 CR smokes called Tobacos Exclusivo. They were pretty fresh when I smoked the first couple and they tasted pretty darn good. I'm letting the last one rest for a while to see what it turns into.
There are plenty of places that have humidors (legit ones) not just the glass top Cohibo's at the local stop and rob, I was not much of a cigar smoker when I went but there are plenty of good shops, enjoy
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF88 View Post
Headed to Costa Rica for a week or so. Was wondering if I should bring my own cigars or get some there. Not really interested in CC's. Do they grow tobaccy in Costa Rica?

Thanks,
Zach
One question is when are you going to CR and what city or cities are you planning to stay at?

About 16 yrs ago, my wife and I traveled to CR to visit her parents (retirement) in a small village named Samura located in the Province of Guanacaste (Samara is located due SSE of Nicoya). We stayed in Samara a little over two weeks. The rest of the time in San Jose.

We flew into San Jose and stayed a few nights at the Hotel Santo Tomas. A great little Hotel which is (or was) owned by an American and his Tico wife (an attorney):

http://www.hotelsantotomas.com/

I don't see why you shouldn't take a few of your favorite cigars with you, but keep an open mind to the locally grown tobacco's and blends produced in CR, and you may come away with a new all-time favorite for yourself. Here's a couple of links for your review:

http://www.costaricacigarstore.com/store/pc/home.asp

http://smokeadrians.com/home

And, if you enjoy coffee, then you'll be in the heartland of the green coffee bean. Cafe Brit, located just outside of town in San Jose, has a great tour of their coffee plantation.

Hope you have a great time in CR Zach and remember to keep an open mind while visiting down that way

Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road

I'll be flying into San Jose, then doing Tortu Guero, then Arenal, then Monte Verde. I'll be driving a rental car between the cities, except Tortu Guero. I'll be pretty adventurous, and hopefully I'll find some good sticks. As for coffee, I'm taking an extra suitcase just to bring back some of that fresh roasted CR coffee! I'll be without my phone for the duration of the trip, which will be very interesting for me... haha
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

That sounds very similar to the locations that my son's group traveled to. I'll ask him if he remembers where he picked the cigars up. He also grabbed a box of 10 DR stogies called Bocas del Monte in the same shop. I've passed a few of those out to folks on this forum. They looked like they had been sitting for a long time (very yellow cello) and they were a milder smoke, very creamy with a terrific smooth flavor, IMO.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF88 View Post
I'll be flying into San Jose, then doing Tortuguero, then Arenal, then Monte Verde. I'll be driving a rental car between the cities, except Tortu Guero. I'll be pretty adventurous, and hopefully I'll find some good sticks. As for coffee, I'm taking an extra suitcase just to bring back some of that fresh roasted CR coffee! I'll be without my phone for the duration of the trip, which will be very interesting for me... haha
Sounds like everything will be close to the San Jose area. If time allows during your visit, you owe it to yourself to visit the Cafe Britt Coffee Plantation which is just a smidge North of San Jose. Beautiful country side, and if I remember right, there're about 5 volcanoes that sit about a mile North of the Plantation:

http://www.coffeetour.com/home

Again, have a great time down in CR. Puro Vida Costa Rica amigo

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Most of the local stuff will disappoint you,CR tobacco is bitter.Nearly every one has a bitterness you cannot escape,and you are better off taking your own.
Panama sticks are worse..........
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
There are tobacco growers as well as cigar manufacturers in Costa Rica, Zach. Can't speak for the cigars themselves, the only cigars I have had that I know had CR tobacco in them were a couple of CAOs.
And the Vegas Santiago sampler you got a year or two ago.

Zach, get in touch with Rudy and Lani @ www.vegassantiago.com
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

San Jose been many times, I would take a tour of http://www.benignocigars.com/
it's a small operation but they will show you the rolling make you an espresso let you pick a cigar an smoke one with you in what must be the classiest way it was meant to be, the Espresso machine is antique old school beautiful and still made the best I have ever had. They are the best of what I tasted local and I still didn't like them, I still have a few left some five years old and they didn't get much better. but going was worth it and you feel obligated to buy some after the hospitality.

I also recommend a coffee plantation tour and the butterfly farm it was so cool. The hotel will have brochures and be able to set up the tours you want. if I can help let me know. The Britt tour Markin recommends is worth the trip and it some decent coffee. if you want to bring some back with you I would skip the britt coffee not thew tour just buying extra coffee and go to the open air market a little whole in the wall roaster sells and bags any size you want for dirt cheap.

If your a Rum drinker http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/stor...-RUM-p8827.htm can be had at the duty free shop a bit cheaper, also the duty free shop in the lower section is open to people entering the Country so you can buy some Cubans there the only cigars I can vouch for was the umpmanns at least a few years ago they were real.

I know of another shop that sells real but expensive Cubans with a smoking lounge and bar and you can get a gal with it if you want just ask me if you want a name and address.
have fun but be careful it's not Disneyland.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
And the Vegas Santiago sampler you got a year or two ago.
That's right, Ferdinand! I forgot they were from CR. Thank you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

My MIL just got back from a cruise and brought me a fiver of the Vegas De Santiago originales maduro torps, they're in the freezer now. Based on Ferdie's review I'm looking forward to lighting one up once they're ready to go.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote