Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default My Uzi Weighs A Ton 5X60

I have decided this month to do something different with my review format. Instead of writing like I normally do with set categories, I will be condensing my reviews so I can get more posted this month to catch up and get some of the newer cigars posted. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment. And now on to the show......

I have to give a HUGE thanks to Jonathan Drew for reaching out to me and sending what is pictured above. The incredibly sweet looking Drew Estate hat accompanied by a 5X60 and 7X60 My Uzi Weighs A Ton cigars. These beauties were blended by JD himself and are a joint project between Drew Estate and Joya de Nicaragua.

Size: 5X60
Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Connecticut Capote
Filler: Brazilian Mata Fina, Nicaragua
Price: $8.95

These cigars are huge. They feel heavy in your hand (compared to other cigars) and are packed full of tobacco. No soft spots or other anomalies were detected.The dark oily wrapper has minimal veins and a slight toothiness. It feels slightly rough to the touch and has a slightly sweet, barnyard and hay aroma.

I decided to use a punch on this cigar and the draw was perfect. Lighting the foot was effortless and the burn did get a little crooked at the start but it corrected itself and remained pretty even to the end. The first flavor I experience is slightly sweet and leathery. From the start the flavor just seems really rich but not overpowering and it remains that way to the nub. There is also a woody flavor and cocoa that I experience with an occasional spiciness. The flavors are pretty consistent throughout.

There is always some kind of debate going on in the cigar world. Now I hear a lot of people taking sides on bigger cigars and ring gauges. This cigar will have 3 sizes but you are looking at a 60 ring gauge for all three sizes: 5X60, 6X60, and 7X60. Personally, I like a variety and I pick my cigar according to the time I have, my mood, or the social situation I am in. When I held these cigars in hand and then smoked them I could not help but feel like this was a man's cigar. I am not dogging or sissifying any other sizes but this cigar to me was manly and made it's presence known. I enjoyed the flavors, tons of smoke, great draw, and a burn I didn't have to babysit. Though the flavors remained very consistent I really enjoyed them and the richness of them. Everything about this cigar was a solid medium and having a rich flavor without kicking me in the gut is great.

My recommendation is to grab a package of these especially if you are a fan of larger ring gauges. If you are not a large ring gauge cigar smoker you might want to at least try this 5X60 size to at least test the waters. They will come paper wrapped from what I have heard and seen. I am definitely getting more when they are released after IPCPR. It won't be an everyday smoke but a special occasion cigar when I have some time on my hands and want to smoke something that makes me feel all manly.I always get a kick out of non-smokers who comment on what a big cigar I am smoking when I am smoking a corona or robusto. Wait until those fools see me smoking one of these!

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend.

I have some cool pics here: http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...-ton-5x60.html
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My Uzi Weighs A Ton 5X60

thanks for the review

that is a pretty sweet hat too
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Uzi Weighs A Ton 5X60

Nice review and great hat