Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #361
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

syracuse put a dagger in my heart yesterday but at least I have my red sox to look forward to now.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #362
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Temple done in by missing lay ups!.....like 5 or 6!....great game but Sweet 16 woulda been, well....Sweet!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #363
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
syracuse put a dagger in my heart yesterday but at least I have my red sox to look forward to now.
Let's Go Red Sox.......
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #364
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Alas, San Diego State is out, but we had a great year and hopefully we will get just a little respect out West.....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #365
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Wow! Was hoping dook would get beat, but did not expect the beatdown they received!!! Really did not expect it from 'Zona, given how close their previous 2 games were.

VERY glad to see Butler make it through their game.

Got to watch the Kemba vs Jimmer show. UCONN doesn't appear to be weakening any.

Kansas and NC are putting clinics on right now; it's getting past embarrassing for Richmond and Marquette. Both teams are colder than ice from outside.

Go UK!!!!!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #366
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Interesting Friday. The last 2 games were as fun and exciting to watch as the first 2 were painful and boring to watch. I figured KU would win theirs, but I expected it to be closer than that. I halfway expected the Heels to go down, and instead watched another beat down.

I didn't see as much of the VCU/FSU game as I would have liked, given the UK game was on. It was a bigger battle than that game, given the OT situation. Really proud of both teams; they played tough.

Some of the guys at work were giving THE OSU and 10 points; looks like they owe some folks a coke . Really proud of the Cats. Got in foul trouble early and often in the 1st, but some good substitutions with a not-so-deep bench worked out well, and they did not lose a lot of ground. I thought for a little bit that it might get as chippy as the KU/Richmond game (no class, btw, Jayhawks, in running up the tunnel).
I thought the officiating stank in this one. There were bad calls on both teams, I thought. Really didn't get the T thrown on Calipari.
Really proud of Harrellson. He has steadily progressed over the course of the season. Jared Sullinger is just a force, and is one of the top inside guys in the nation this year. Harrellson didn't beat him, but he did counter him very well on both sides, so that the Cats did not have to rely soley on guard play. Given the defense of OSU's guards, I was happy UK was able to stay close all game and come away with another last-second win.

Poet, I'm sending a stripper and a line of credit to the Belagio for Charles Barkley, so that he picks UK over UNC . His picks this week have been pretty accurate. Should be a good game.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #367
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Yeah real classy blocking the tunnel with your little Rah Rah huddle..Spidyman..

They probably drive in the left lane talking on their cell phones too.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #368
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

You would have thought BOTH teams would have been motivated by that little exchange. The Spyders, however, reminded me of Garfield vs the spider cartoons, with KU doing ALL the stomping . Richmond just folded their legs up under them and died.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #369
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Great game and great finish in today's first match. The Gators and Bulldogs both played pretty good. I thought Butler was out of steam there for a while, but they reeled the Gators back in. Really exciting game to watch; these guys are playing so hard. Hated to see either one lose. Not good possessions by Florida on the last two; there was plenty more time to set up a shot, even the last one. I really thought Florida had them at the end, but defense held, and 40 foot jump shots are not easy.

One team in, 3 to go!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #370
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

And then there were none. When is the last time that no #1 seeds survived to the Final Four?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #371
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

I think it's the first time since the change from the 32-team format.

This has been an exciting Dance. I'd not be surprised if CBS is disappointed with the Butler/VCU side of the bracket, but I'm not. Lots of people root for the underdog and love both these teams. That said, it might, then, have been better if these 2 were facing one of the other 2 teams, for ratings sake.

I REALLY didn't expect VCU to survive this game. KU, as much as I don't like them, has a good team. But I didn't think they were more dominant than THE OSU, who was probably as dominant as any this season. And this season, anyone could be beaten. You could see it on his face during the game; Self couldn't believe this little twit of a team was beating his Jayhawks. I was pretty surprised myself.

I figured the Cats had a shot at the win against the Heels, though. They delivered. I missed most of it, so can't comment a lot. It sounded like there was some more solid defense and guard play, up-tempo ball, and good inside performance from Harrellson. These guys are really gelling right now, and the UCONN game should be fantastic.

I have no idea on Butler/VCU. I'd say Butler will have the edge, but after watching VCU pop the Jayhawks, I've no clue. Should be fun to watch, though.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #372
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Just FYI, I've not been ignoring youse guys . . . I've spent the last week+ in the hospital following emergency surgery.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. I'll let you know if the doctors managed to do the same for me.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #373
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Best wishes for full and speedy recovery, Poet. I imagine Dancing is the least of what's on your mind right now.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #374
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Get well soon, Poet. Hope the surgery went well and everything is ok.
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #375
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Just FYI, I've not been ignoring youse guys . . . I've spent the last week+ in the hospital following emergency surgery.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. I'll let you know if the doctors managed to do the same for me.
Here's hoping the doctors successfully did their doctor thing. Get well soon, bro...you have a full season of watching mediocre pitching ahead of you.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #376
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Well, more B'Ball fun for the weekend.

VCU/Butler was fun to watch, but I think Butler's coach was ready for them, and they wore them down in the end. VCU did a great job though, and was in it for most of the game.

UK/UCONN was a surprisingly low-scoring matchup, I thought. I was surprised at the Cat's 1st half FG%, and the Huskies 2nd half FG%. I figured a little better for both. In the first, the Cats looked the the Road Team I've seen all season. Lethargic at times, and couldn't hit the side of a mountain. 25% FG...OUCH!!!! Must have been a good butt stomping in the locker room at the half for the Cats. But once they got back up with them, the shots quit falling again, and the Huskies were able to hold on. HORRIBLE execution for the Cats last in-bounds play, though the Huskies D had a lot to do with that. But it looked like some of the Cats either got too tired, or just lost the aggressiveness after they tied it back up. Short shots, missed free throws, and not as much hustle for loose balls, for a Final 4 appearance. Hey, UCONN was warn out too, but still hustled a little better than some of the Cats. Also thought they were never really able to use Harrelson as much as needed, though foul trouble helped there. Also one missed goal tend call against UCONN in the 2nd and a missed double-dribble against them too.
But, a good game.

Go Butler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did y'all think???
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #377
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Womans final four...Texas A&M win over Stanford was a great game!!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #378
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Generally, I couldn't care less about the women's final four, but I am rooting for ND to upset UCONN. Up 10 with 6:30 left.

I'll be rooting for Butler to upset UCONN tomorrow as well.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #379
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Oh my goodness, did NOT expect THAT final!!!!

Probably neither did Butler, nor UCONN. That had to have been one of the hardest-to-watch games I've ever seen. Good defense is one thing, but Butler's score went well beyond that (UCONN was not much better).

Be interesting to see if this was Calhoun's last game.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #380
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelknight View Post
Get well soon, Poet. Hope the surgery went well and everything is ok.
ditto