Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default It's iPhone upgrade time, woohoo

I know we have a bunch of tech geeks in here sooooooooo,

I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus. I have had it for 2.5 years. I ran iOS 12 beta on it and now have the GM which is the same as the public release. I am thinking about updating to one of the new phones.

I tend to read a bunch and watch youtube videos whenever I am considering a new device and think I have decided what I am gonna get.

I am going to wait on the iPhone XR in the 128 gig model for 800 bucks.

Reasons for this are:
1. Don't really care about OLED cause I don't watch a LOT of video on my phone. Plus I am reading that ALL OLED have some form of burn in plus I saw somewhere if you hold the phone more than one foot away from your face, your eyes can't tell the difference in all those pixels anyway. I do occasionally watch DirecTV Now on my iPhone 7 plus and it looks great to me and the XR is supposed to have a better LCD panel that that one does.

2. Money, money, money. I am probably sure I could get away with a 64 gig phone because on my 128 gig iPhone 7 plus I am only using a little less than 30 gigs. But I will probably get a 128 gig when I buy. The iPhone XS is I think $1149 for the bigger one.

3. Money, it deserves two spots.

4. Size. I think the 6.1 inch screen on the XR will be about right. I looked at a XS today and even though the screen itself is a little bigger than the one on my iPhone 7 plus, it still seems smaller somehow. I think the Max would be a little too big for my liking.

Anyhow that's my take so far, but that's always subject to change.

What say you?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
SurfnSafari
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
SurfnSafari has disabled reputation
Default Re: It's iPhone upgrade time, woohoo

Honestly I live in the world of if its not broken why replace it. For years and years I survived with a digital pager, back then a Cell-Phone was $3,500.00 + plus about $.41/minute. Pay phone were on every cornor, where did they go?

I had a I-phone 4 recently, it stopped working, someone gave me an old I-phone 5-S, it makes a call, I can get my e-mail, I can get a text, it works.

Honestly I see zero reason to drop a $1,000.00 plus on a cell phone from Apple. That when the next generation is out become worth next to nothing.

I like Cars, Cigars, and good Bourbon, that were I spend my mad money.
SurfnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSafari View Post
Honestly I live in the world of if its not broken why replace it. For years and years I survived with a digital pager, back then a Cell-Phone was $3,500.00 + plus about $.41/minute. Pay phone were on every cornor, where did they go?

I had a I-phone 4 recently, it stopped working, someone gave me an old I-phone 5-S, it makes a call, I can get my e-mail, I can get a text, it works.

Honestly I see zero reason to drop a $1,000.00 plus on a cell phone from Apple. That when the next generation is out become worth next to nothing.

I like Cars, Cigars, and good Bourbon, that were I spend my mad money.
I don't remember how much my first cell phone costed but it was around $100. But they did have the 40 or so cents a minute for every minute you used incoming or outgoing. That was probably in the early 90s. I use the calendar a lot on my phones, my wife and I sync them so we can keep up with everything. I also use documents and notes extensively on my phone as well. The prices are crazy though I agree.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

agree 1000%

if its not broken why replace it.
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I’m total geek, brother.
I have a 6 plus and a 6s plus.
I also grab all the betas.

The performance increase and new utilities that came in 12 made my phones brand new.
By the time I learn to take advantage of Shortcuts I can skip this next release in two months, run by the whole x generation (because I don’t need AI Animoji’s), and get into an 8 plus for a good price when my phone dies.

I’m not in the “if it ain’t broke” category, because my phones are pristine and unlocked when I resell. I do real well.
That brings down my cost dramatically when I consider a new phone.

It breaks down to entertainment value, and will this phone make me more money?
If those boxes check, I just buy her.
If not, I can wait.
This is the best “wait” time Apple has ever provided.
iOS 12 is very sleek, and I need time to max it and my current hardware out.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

By no means am I saying don’t get it, brother.
But I’d go ahead and shoot for the OLED and drop the drive space.
You can get a thumb drive skeleton for 10 bucks and download your pics or whatever to a card and keep your phone clean.
I run a 64 GB phone with every app in the world and have never breached 32?gb, I don’t believe.

In the end, do what you like, and what makes you happy.
You didn’t bust your ass to make that money for nothin.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

What's a cellphone? Is that the one in jail that gives you your one call?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

iPhone 6s now and Xs this Friday so that’s my answer.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
By no means am I saying don’t get it, brother.
But I’d go ahead and shoot for the OLED and drop the drive space.
You can get a thumb drive skeleton for 10 bucks and download your pics or whatever to a card and keep your phone clean.
I run a 64 GB phone with every app in the world and have never breached 32?gb, I don’t believe.

In the end, do what you like, and what makes you happy.
You didn’t bust your ass to make that money for nothin.
Not even needing the thumb drive brother, I have a 200 gig iCloud plan.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I waste so much money on this crap. I upgrade every year to the newest iPhone. Stupid. I know.

I’m a sucker for the latest and greatest iPhones
Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Not even needing the thumb drive brother, I have a 200 gig iCloud plan.
Then you got more money than brains, good lookin!!!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

If my 6s plus self destructed today I'd probably pick up the XR to replace it.

But I have no need or desire to trade it in otherwise. It works fine, does everything I need it to do and I see no real need to contribute my sheckels to Apple's bottom line just for the halibut. Oh, and it really bent me that they did away with the headphone jack on the newer models.

But yeah, the XR with 128 gig would be my choice if I had to upgrade.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I waste so much money on this crap. I upgrade every year to the newest iPhone. Stupid. I know.

I’m with Huy on this. I can afford it and I like new tech, so I upgrade every year and enjoy myself. It’s a perq of working hard for many years, so I’ve earned it. I like the OLED display — text is much crisper and easier to read with my old eyes

I also play games (SimCity Buildit and Yahtzee with Buddies) and I read a lot using the Kindle app.

My wife and I share calendars, notes, recipes, to-do lists and music between us and we both use our phones for a lot of other things.

I also like bigger phones, so I’ve ordered the XsMax — while I don’t watch movies on my phone, I do watch a lot of video clips and the larger screen helps. I also listen to a lot of podcasts, so opted for additional memory.

It arrives tomorrow and I’m really excited! Got a nice cigar picked out to smoke while I get my world transferred to the new phone

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
SurfnSafari
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
SurfnSafari has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't remember how much my first cell phone costed but it was around $100. But they did have the 40 or so cents a minute for every minute you used incoming or outgoing. That was probably in the early 90s. I use the calendar a lot on my phones, my wife and I sync them so we can keep up with everything. I also use documents and notes extensively on my phone as well. The prices are crazy though I agree.
Well if my memory is correct when I was talk $3,500.00 I was living in Sacramento, Celleur One was the carrier back then. Those phones were the size of like a Small Overnight Bad, they had a carry handle. Then they got slightly small like the size of a Telephone Handset with a Big Antana stick out the top. If you went in your vechicle you had a seperate Antana in your vechicle, to hook to your phone via wise, with a Pigtail Antana mount on your vehicle. Think that was about 1980's.

You paid by the minute for incoming and out going calls, plus roaming charges if you move out of home area (area code).

Today most phones are capable of doing about anything you want to do. The APP selection is crazy.

I am old school, I would rather talk to someone v/s text. I laught at the commercial were a kid texted grandma to bring him a drink, grandma is across the room. But she brings the kid a drink.

Then you have Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram how technology has change some people live.

IMHO people need to talk to people, not spend their lives on technology. I hate calling some company and being told to push 1, then push 3, then being told to leave a message.

It was nice when human answer the phone. JMHO
SurfnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Then you got more money than brains, good lookin!!!
Not really. It's only $2.99 a month for family share.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I’m with Huy on this. I can afford it and I like new tech, so I upgrade every year and enjoy myself. It’s a perq of working hard for many years, so I’ve earned it. I like the OLED display — text is much crisper and easier to read with my old eyes

I also play games (SimCity Buildit and Yahtzee with Buddies) and I read a lot using the Kindle app.

My wife and I share calendars, notes, recipes, to-do lists and music between us and we both use our phones for a lot of other things.

I also like bigger phones, so I’ve ordered the XsMax — while I don’t watch movies on my phone, I do watch a lot of video clips and the larger screen helps. I also listen to a lot of podcasts, so opted for additional memory.

It arrives tomorrow and I’m really excited! Got a nice cigar picked out to smoke while I get my world transferred to the new phone
My wife and I use ours much the same way.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauer View Post
agree 1000%

if its not broken why replace it.
Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I'm in camp Huy/Michael....My upgrade is due end of December, I'l be going from current X to Xs 256...and I NEVER SHARE MY PHONE WITH MY WIFE!!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Not really. It's only $2.99 a month for family share.
I immediately thought "I should do that".

I also thought about your work. I bet you look at lots of video. I really don't.
I think you'd love the OLEd, brother.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #19
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
I immediately thought "I should do that".

I also thought about your work. I bet you look at lots of video. I really don't.
I think you'd love the OLEd, brother.
I don't look at video that much, especially no on my phone. I do have an iPad that I watch DirectvNow on some but not a lot. I have almost decided to just keep the phones we have for now. The iPhone 7 plus is still working good. Tried to upgrade my wife's iPhone 6 plus for her birthday but she didn't want it. She is of the if it aint broke don't fix it to the 10th power.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
ksknnr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (13)
ksknnr is on a distinguished road

I like to upgrade every few years myself, I know it seems like a waste, but what the hell, I cant take the money with me,
I have the iphone X and I love it. I say if you can afford it, go for it