Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Angry B&M Pipe Tobacco prices??

holy batcrap, batman!!!
was at the local pipe club meeting, and i always try to buy a tin while i'm there, whether i need anymore or not.... i think i'm gonna stop, unless it's just something i gotta have.

someone should kick me in the jimmy, but i forked over $27 for a tin of the new Peter Heinrichs Curly's last night. they had a 200g tub for $48... i know, better value, but i'd never had it, didn't want to be stuck with a ton of stuff i don't like (although it's a va/per, not many of those i don't like).

so, when you all swing by a B&M, you see the tin prices of $14 for a 2oz SG tin, what goes through your mind?

i do some quick basic math, which takes 10 minutes, and realize that i could get DOUBLE the tobacco if i ordered online. and if i order enough, then i don't need to factor in shipping costs from certain vendors.

i'm all for keeping the shops going, but DAMN, $14 for a 2 oz tin? what's crazy is that their 100g tins are only marginally higher, like $21 on average.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Sovereign

Default Re: B&M Pipe Tobacco prices??

What state do you live in? My b&m's don't really carry to many brands of tins, and the ones they have are like $10. They mostly have house blends and aromatics that go for about $2 an ounce
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

my B&Ms don't even have tins, just in-store blends. Some are good, but it's not exactly variety
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I found a three year old 100 gram tin of FMOTT. It was like 19 bucks so I bought it but other than that I have never bought tins in a B&M.

you could drop 100 bucks on tobacco in a B&M and get half or less than if you would've shopped online, and like you said you get free shipping. I once saw a 2oz. tin of Westminster for $17, I like westminster and that's why I buy it online.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Big D KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post

so, when you all swing by a B&M, you see the tin prices of $14 for a 2oz SG tin, what goes through your mind?

Same thing that goes through yours for the most part! hahah! I wonder if there is a big tax difference between the ks & mo sides? Or its just mark up.. By SG tin I am guessing you are referrning to a Samual Gawith tin? I think at my B&M they are around the $12 range, I'll have to check tonight. I know for most of the 100g McC tins they are generally $17.xx

I have bought a decent selection of tin's from the B&M, but it's been mainly out of convenience. Luckily my B&M has a big and very wide selection of tins so I have been able to pick and choose a tin of this and a tin of that. I tend to pick up a tin or two every week (not always of course), and its been easier to spend $10-25 at the time without paying shipping prices for two single tins. Plus I don't feel like I have to drop $75 to earn the free shipping or other incentives. If I buy on the net I feel like I need to make it worth while and order a bunch. I know in the long run I spend more and get less, and yep that runs through my mind while im paying at the counter for sure!! I just kind of pass it up as helping to keep them in business. They have been very good to me over the last few years and I enjoy hanging out there every week and smoking!

Here about tax time though I am thinking I will round up a nice big order to place online somewhere and lay in some serious tobacco for the cellar!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D KC View Post
Here about tax time though I am thinking I will round up a nice big order to place online somewhere and lay in some serious tobacco for the cellar!
i wish uncle sugar would buy me tobacco with all the money i'm sending him. i wonder how much i'll owe this year?

check the herf section or click the red link in my sigline, Big D.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

Wow....those are some steep prices!!
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Few pipe stores around here are pricey also.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
smokehouse
Hiding from Curly Cut

Trading: (0)
smokehouse has disabled reputation

The JR around here is the only store that has somewhat of a selection of pipe tobacco but the prices are so marked up, its cheaper for me to buy the stuff online and have it shipped. Cigars are the same.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

although I must add, one of the local stores passes some decent prices down for guys if they buy large bulk baccys. I guess they buy so much the bulk discount etc...
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
tribaljmd

My local shop sells their house blends for 3 bucks an ounce, if you buy 4 ounces you get them for 2.75, not too bad, but its the only shop nearby.

They also have some of the tinned tobaccos there (pretty expensive), but they started having some in bulk and selling them for 4 dollars an ounce (Plumcake, ect.)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Haredawg

There are three major B & M smoke shops in this town. One only does bulk and I can get two ounces of a few different S Gawith blends for five bucks, same with a few Dunhill blends, Stokkebye and lane limited blends. The Old famous century plus B & M downtown does both bulk and tinned with a large collection of tinned tobacco. Their prices on tinned tobacco are outrageously high, and yes, if you ordered on line in any sort of bulk it'd be cheaper to buy, send air mail and have delivered by limousine and a celebrity. The third place carries limited tins and bulk and their prices on the tins they carry are a bit higher than on line but about even if you take into account shipping charges and much more convenient for instant gratification. They do carry three of my favorite rattrays and quite a few S Gawith blends in both tins and bulk. The reason I don't go there exclusively is that it's also a head shop. I don't have a problem with headshops, just head shop clientele.
I really try hard to support Brick and Mortar stores as much as I can, these are dark times and it's painful to see old Brick and Mortar stores fail, close their doors forever, because we all know they won't be replaced. Two of the three stores I mentioned do a brisk internet business as well. It is cheaper to have something shipped to you out of state than walk in.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

Hell Curly,

I've got a tin of Curly Cut that I will sell you for the low, low price of $26!!
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
EvanS

Your pipe tobac prices must be to make up for those virtually-free Oliva's, like at Outlaw. The only B&M around here that I have seen tins at has MacB #1 all day long for $6.50. If only I could smoke the stuff....
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
ChasDen

I just bought a 16 oz bag of bulk (Larry's blend) for everyday smoking for just under $30 out the door at the local B&M.

Thinking of stocking up before the first.

Chas
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Davemann

I'm not going to allow the higher prices, stop me from enjoying my pipes. It may hurt, but I can hang in there.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
Dgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post

"Glad I like OTC Burly Blends"
Small Tub of PA 7.50
Cob Pipe 6.00
Total 13.50
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Was at a B&M yesterday and they had Estorica Penzance for 13.99 for 2oz. Almost double the price of some online retailers.

IMO you have to do your research because another B&M by me has some tins that are less then most online retailers.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
glassjapan
Still Watching My Back

glassjapan is on a distinguished road

One of the B & Ms around here is selling the Pease blends for $11.95
But the good news is they're the old style tins with five years under the belt. I've been watching a pretty healthy stock of thirty some tins whittled down to a half dozen. I'll be sad when they're no more!
glassjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
TheJ

Stumbled upon a B&M the other day while out of town. Picked up a tin of Dunhill 965 & EMP, and Balkan Sasieni for $12 each. They still had 2 tins of EMP and 3 tins of Nightcap left. I wish I had an extra $65 on me at the time.