Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crystal Humidifiers....PG Solution?

Makes sense. I find it hard to believe that the Cigar Aficionado guys keep all their cigars at 70%. FWIW, they seem decently knowledgable about (certain aspects about) cigars, and it would be a shame if they blindly followed that "rule" without experimenting a little.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Marvin Shankin of Cigar Aficiando is the main culprit of the myth. He has spouted it so often for so long, people have taken it as gospel. Kinda like their cigar ratings.

When folks ask me, I tell them anywhere between 55 and 70% is ok to store cigars but each individual has their own preference.
Agreed, I never go by what they rate as their "Top 25".
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoreno View Post
Ultimately, 70% RH is still ideal for long term cigar aging which could span years or decades.
Tobacconist University...not XIKAR!
Quote:
I disagree totally. I don't care who says it, 70% rh and 70 degrees being ideal is a myth.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Marvin Shankin of Cigar Aficiando is the main culprit of the myth. He has spouted it so often for so long, people have taken it as gospel. Kinda like their cigar ratings.
I'm 99% sure I read the 70%RH in Zino Davidoff's The Connoisseur's Book of the Cigar. People love this sort of authoritarian-prescriptive nonsense. It makes them feel cultured and sophisticated by doing things the "proper" way. Like drinking cognac from a narrow-mouth snifter but armagnac from a flute

(To be fair, I did enjoy Davidoff's book, despite some dubious advice and shameless advertising.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoreno View Post
A humidor is a box, usually made of wood, that preserves an ambient environment for storing cigars. Relative humidity in the humidor ideally is 70 percent, although a slight variation is acceptable. Dry or humid air outside the humidor, along with air conditioners and furnaces, all can significantly affect humidity in a humidor. 70% Relative Humidity is a personal choice but highly recommended.
Now hold on, you just copied and pasted that from http://www.ehow.com/how_5690341_main...y-humidor.html. Quoting eHow articles while telling us how to store our cigars won't win you any friends around these here parts fellar
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #25
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'am View Post
I'm 99% sure I read the 70%RH in Zino Davidoff's The Connoisseur's Book of the Cigar. People love this sort of authoritarian-prescriptive nonsense. It makes them feel cultured and sophisticated by doing things the "proper" way. Like drinking cognac from a narrow-mouth snifter but armagnac from a flute

(To be fair, I did enjoy Davidoff's book, despite some dubious advice and shameless advertising.)

Now hold on, you just copied and pasted that from http://www.ehow.com/how_5690341_main...y-humidor.html. Quoting eHow articles while telling us how to store our cigars won't win you any friends around these here parts fellar
I think you're right about Zino Davidoff, although the constant reminders from Cigar Aficionado probably don't help dispel the myth. And on the eHow article:

Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote