Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #261
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is your favorite Scotch Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldondo View Post
If you wanna destroy the flavors by using ice.... do so. But if you wanna enjoy the real flavor of a Scotch you may use some drops of water, but never ice.
So what if a person doesn't enjoy the taste of scotch straight up and enjoys the more mellow taste of it on ice? Are you saying they are wrong for drinking what they like? They should be forced to endure something they don't like just because you have a view that is different than theirs?

If that is the case, then I would hate parties at your place, last thing I need is someone yelling at me for drinking my beer in a glass with 2 olives rather than out of the bottle.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #262
eldondo

Letīs say.... it was an advice... but instead of ice you should try to reduce the alcohol by adding some water... that wonīt cool it down and influence the flavor...
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #263
Springsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldondo View Post
Robert, have you ever tried Glenfarclas? The 25 yo. is a really good deal. I donīt know the prices in the US, but here itīs about EUR 80 per bottle, which is a good deal for a 25 yo.

BTW... I just enjoyed a very good Glenrothes 1973...
We have (and I've tried) the Glenfarclas, but not the 25! That sounds awesome...I've been impressed with the Glenfarclas as a very good and inexpensive everydaydrinker
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #264
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I am drinking each straight up (neat) with no ice. I figured that was the best way to compare. Highly recommend to try the 15 year if you like the 12 year Glenlivet.
15 is actually my least favorite Glenlivet.
Starting with favorites:
18, Nadurra, 21, 12, 15
Haven't tried XXV...
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #265
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
15 is actually my least favorite Glenlivet.
Starting with favorites:
18, Nadurra, 21, 12, 15
Haven't tried XXV...
Well, that leaves more 15 for me!

Question for you, is the 18 worth the extra penny or even the 21? Or will the 12 and 15 serve just fine most of the time? I would like to try these, but every bar in town only has the 12 or 10 year versions of various scotches, makes it tough to sample without dropping the cash for a whole bottle.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #266
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

I love the 18 and Nadurra, both are definitely worth it IMO.
21 is a treat once in a while but it is almost too subtle. I probably won't buy it again.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #267
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Grants
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #268
dwoodward

HUpmann

What exactly does putting a splash of water in a scotch do to it? Since I have been drinking scotch (and very much enjoying it) without ice for the last week or so, I have today put a splash of water in it. (no water dropper, so I couldn't get exactly a few drops, don't think it matters)

The scotch still has the flavor, but noticeably less burn when it gets to my stomach. I am still undecided if it tastes better.

Just wondering why this is "suggested" or done in the scotch community.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #269
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

It's done more to improve/change the nosing experience of the whisky than it it to effect the taste. Basically adding water releases more aromatics from the whisky by slightly diluting it and that dilution also reduces the deadening effect that alcohol has on your sense of smell which allows you to discern more. The higher the alcohol content of the whisky the more pronounced this effect is. However with high ABV cask strength whiskies it can also be very helpful in reducing how much the alcohol deadens your taste buds. In that scenario it obviously impacts both taste and nose.

With many cask strength whisky you want to add a surprising amount of water, for example with Aberlour A'bunadh which is ~60% ABV you'll want to add water at 2:1 whisky to water ratio to reduce it down to 40%. The difference in that case is very dramatic. With many you won't necessarily see a huge difference. Typically I'll add water to a new whisky the first couple times I try it and then if there no real difference I won't bother after that.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #270
eldondo

Some Whiskys open some new tastes with a splash of water, some with a few drops and some get worse if you add water... you have to try it, thereīs no general rule.

Tasting experts (e.g. at the distillery) put more and more water in it while trying until itīs reduced to app. 20 % of alcohol.

Whiskys coming outta Sherry casks are (in most cases) a bit more critical if you add water, itīs better to be cautious. If theyīd only been in a Bourbon cask itīs less critical... but there are also exceptions on both sides... as always...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #271
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone ever try James Buchanan 18 yo scotch?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #272
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Hey fellas,

I have been enjoying Highland Park 12 and Glenlivet 12 this winter but i was wondering if you have a bottle(s) that is your summer scotch. Glenlivet is rather fruity so it could work, but i doubt i will touch the Highland Park. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #273
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (4)
Frodo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Hey fellas,

I have been enjoying Highland Park 12 and Glenlivet 12 this winter but i was wondering if you have a bottle(s) that is your summer scotch. Glenlivet is rather fruity so it could work, but i doubt i will touch the Highland Park. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Well, I generally switch to beer or tequila, but scotches I'd recommend for being lighter and easier in the summer would be Auchantoshan, Glengoyne and Bunnahabhain. The latter would be my preferance depending on the bottling of course.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #274
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

The Macallan Fine Oak 25 is a favorite of mine, but I've been drinking Glenfiddich 15 a little more often lately
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #275
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I'm loving the Red Breast 12. an amazing Pure Pot Still irish whiskey, and very highly recommended.

Single Malts, I'm gonna admit to not trying anything over 18yrs, but for me today, the Balvanie Doublewood is still my favorite.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #276
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
I'm loving the Red Breast 12. an amazing Pure Pot Still irish whiskey, and very highly recommended.

Single Malts, I'm gonna admit to not trying anything over 18yrs, but for me today, the Balvanie Doublewood is still my favorite.
Ahh, Balvenie is the reason I switched from whiskey to scotch......great stuff.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #277
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
I love the 18 and Nadurra, both are definitely worth it IMO.
21 is a treat once in a while but it is almost too subtle. I probably won't buy it again.
While the 21 isn't a bad scotch at all, I just can't see myself paying the extra $$$ for it, when I can get a bottle of Highland Park 18. The Nadurra is definitely one of their more interesting offering.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #278
Christiel49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
It's done more to improve/change the nosing experience of the whisky than it it to effect the taste. Basically adding water releases more aromatics from the whisky by slightly diluting it and that dilution also reduces the deadening effect that alcohol has on your sense of smell which allows you to discern more. The higher the alcohol content of the whisky the more pronounced this effect is. However with high ABV cask strength whiskies it can also be very helpful in reducing how much the alcohol deadens your taste buds. In that scenario it obviously impacts both taste and nose.

With many cask strength whisky you want to add a surprising amount of water, for example with Aberlour A'bunadh which is ~60% ABV you'll want to add water at 2:1 whisky to water ratio to reduce it down to 40%. The difference in that case is very dramatic. With many you won't necessarily see a huge difference. Typically I'll add water to a new whisky the first couple times I try it and then if there no real difference I won't bother after that.
I wondered why I always put water in my scotch! I know that it taste better more aromatic, than just straight. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #279
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Anyone ever try James Buchanan 18 yo scotch?
Yes, real nice & smooth... I keep on hand all the time...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #280
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

I was out last night celebrating a now-official divorce with a little Macallan 18yr. One of my faves.
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote