Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #221
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2012 Fantasy Baseball For Stakes And The Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
How about FIP (fielding independant pitching)? Is that an option? I agree, I don't really like outs or relief wins as scoring categories. Holds can be considered if there are going to be middle relievers used a lot in this league. Just throwing out some other options.
Personally I would've liked to have seen holds over relief wins as a scoring category, but this is the way that the commish set it up. Further, since the league has already held the draft and the season started, probably wouldn't be right to go and switch around scoring categories.

So in short, let's burn Scott at the stake.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #222
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

I agree that I don't like a few of the categories; however, I drafted according to what scoring categories were already in place. Like avoiding Strasburg because he will be on a IP limit.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #223
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I just drafted who everyone else wasn't drafting
I'm going to enjoy the season as it is, everyone is on a level playing field with the same categories
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #224
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I will definately set up any categories others suggest, but it'll have to be next year.
Initially I thought I'd just go ahead and change them, but Jarrod made a very valid point. People took into consideration the categories when drafting.
Next year I'll set the scoring categories and ask for input. We had plenty of time that I could have changed anything, but no one raised a concern. I just basically picked the categories that I thought were sensible and would have liked to let a few pitching categories out altogether, but had to enter something.
I'll make sure to get an extra early start next year and email everyone who played, that way we can talk some of this stuff out and make the league extra awesome.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #225
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Scott you did a great job of setting this league up! I'm completely fine with everything you've done! This league will be a blast, and thank you for putting this together.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #226
blugill
Feeling at Home

blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

What he said^^
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #227
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Scott you did a great job of setting this league up! I'm completely fine with everything you've done! This league will be a blast, and thank you for putting this together.
I agree, you did a great job Scott. I've never been in a league with this many scoring categories and I'm curious to see some of the unconventional strategies utilized to win some of these.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #228
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
I agree, you did a great job Scott. I've never been in a league with this many scoring categories and I'm curious to see some of the unconventional strategies utilized to win some of these.
Yep, great job with the league. I will really enjoy squashing mark like a bug.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #229
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I will definately set up any categories others suggest, but it'll have to be next year.
Initially I thought I'd just go ahead and change them, but Jarrod made a very valid point. People took into consideration the categories when drafting.
He's exactly right, too. If, for example you were to change relief wins to holds beforehand, I would've made it a point to draft a couple of the better middle relievers in the game. With the draft already taking place, the toothpaste is already out of the tube, so-to-speak.
Quote:
Next year I'll set the scoring categories and ask for input. We had plenty of time that I could have changed anything, but no one raised a concern. I just basically picked the categories that I thought were sensible and would have liked to let a few pitching categories out altogether, but had to enter something.
I'll make sure to get an extra early start next year and email everyone who played, that way we can talk some of this stuff out and make the league extra awesome.
Nah, there was plenty of time to raise concerns, Scott. If it'd bothered anyone enough they would've said something. At best our gripes are trivial. You done good, old man.

Now, if we could only do something about this daily lineup thing...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #230
blugill
Feeling at Home

I'd really like to see MLB make opening day a priority again. Open it on American soil, if you want to play overseas for a series or two that's great, just do it a few weeks after the season has started. I mean you play a real game and then come back for more spring training games?

Who's the genius that greenlighted that?! Likely they consulted with some of the Hollywood geniuses that greenlight half of the garbage remakes that show up in the theaters now.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #231
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Who's the genius that greenlighted that?
I'm pretty sure it was the same guy that okay'd the DH.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #232
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Im curious to see what kind of tasty prizes are up for grabs!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #233
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Im curious to see what kind of tasty prizes are up for grabs!
You have to win to see...
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #234
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
You have to win to see...
Yeah, since you never posted your winnings from our fantasy football league, Matt.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #235
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, since you never posted your winnings from our fantasy football league, Matt.
good point....maybe a new bi-law, winners have to show pics of said winnings!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #236
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

What gives with me not being able to put Drew Storen on the DL? He's been on there since last Wednesday, while players who were put on the DL a couple of days ago are able to be moved there...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #237
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

When a player goes on yahoo DL, there's a little red DL after their name.
How and when they put that on there, I have no clue.
I should probably add that, in the past, I've had players whose team played a game before the player was put on Yahoo DL. I can only remember that happening once.
I'm guessing they're not real concerned with updates just yet, being that final rosters aren't even set.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #238
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
When a player goes on yahoo DL, there's a little red DL after their name.
How and when they put that on there, I have no clue.
I should probably add that, in the past, I've had players whose team played a game before the player was put on Yahoo DL. I can only remember that happening once.
I'm guessing they're not real concerned with updates just yet, being that final rosters aren't even set.
I looked at the DL list on Yahoo, and Storen is nowhere to be found. Weird, because according to ESPN he was placed on the DL back on March 28th.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #239
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I looked at the DL list on Yahoo, and Storen is nowhere to be found. Weird, because according to ESPN he was placed on the DL back on March 28th.
I'd think they'd have that cleaned up before tomorrow night. I'd sure hope so. It might not even get fixed till after Thursday's games. You might just need to shake him off or take the hit till it sorts out.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #240
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here's the updated list with our names/screen name/Yahoo team name for reference...
1. Scott (shilala) shilala
2. Jarrod (JenksAnejo) SmokinJenksAnejo's
3. Stephen (stephen) Stephen's Shockers
4. Matt (mattso3000) ninja for hire(Matt)
5. Mark (mkarnold1) mkarnold1's Mashers
6. Mike (Coach Deg) Coach Deg
7. Albert (awsmith4) Awsmith4
8. Jake (The Ghoulbags) The Ghoulbags
9. Ty (thecatch83) thecatch83
10. Andy (blugill) Predators (blugill)

Entry sticks are due.
Here's where the entry payments stand...
1. Scott
2. Jarrod entry fiver 10 troop sticks
3. Stephen
4. Matt
5. Mark entry fiver troop sticks? (I lost his troop sticks, I need to ask him what he sent)
6. Mike
7. Albert
8. Jake entry fiver 10 troop sticks
9. Ty
10. Andy 1/2 entry sticks 12 troop sticks