Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough
Default General Cigar Foundry Review

As many cigar aficionados know, the annual IPCPR trade show just recently took place. This is a show for manufacturers of cigars and cigar related products to reveal new products to retailers. General Cigar has a few new releases this year, including a new cigar callled “Foundry”. Here is a press release from General Cigar about Foundry:

General Cigar is proud to introduce FOUNDRY, a new boutique collection created to amplify the artistry and romanticism of premium cigars.

FOUNDRY is a stark juxtaposition between the old and the new. This visually-arresting collection was inspired by the art form of “steampunk,” which is both a retrospective and futuristic interpretation of innovation.

FOUNDRY is the brainchild of Michael Giannini who led the team that created the breakthrough brand. “Innovation comes from many sources,” he notes. “It is a pleasure and an honor to be able to call upon our greatest resources: the collective talent of cigar masters, our expertise in tobacco cultivation, processing and blending and the creativity of our artisan cigar rollers and box makers to bring FOUNDRY to fruition.”

Through a groundbreaking approach previously unseen in the premium cigar category, FOUNDRY entices the premium cigar connoisseur to take a bold step back in time and a quantum leap into the future to envision the artistry of handmade cigars through the lens of unbridled innovation.

Visual considerations aside, FOUNDRY’s avant-garde approach extends to its masterfully balanced synthesis of flavors. Featuring an indulgent collection of five proprietary tobaccos from four different countries, each aged between three and six years, Foundry’s foundation is amplified through an eight year old wrapper developed by General Cigar. Called H-47 Pleno Sol, the lustrous wrapper imparts a deeply complex, layered smoking experience like no other.

The four-cigar collection is accessibly-priced, and will make its mark on tobacco retail starting in late-October. Foundry features these new cigars: Wells (6”x 50, SRP per cigar is $7.95); Lovelace (6 Ľ ” x 54, SRP per cigar is $8.45); Talbot (5” x 60, SRP per cigar is $8.95) and Cayley (6 ˝” x 60 x 56 x 43, SRP per cigar is $9.45). Each frontmark is presented with a unique box design and features both a traditional paper band and a steampunk-inspired metal gear band.

The folks at General Cigar have graciously provided me with a few samples of Foundry to review, so I decided there was no time like the present! On to the review we go!

Pre- Light: As I took a look at this cigar, the most notable feature was the gear ring that was on the band of the cigar. I ran the cigar across my nose, and got some hints of spice, and a heavy amount of citrus. The cigar felt firmly packed, and there were no noticeable defects with it. I clipped the end with my Xikar cutter, and lit up with my Xikar Inpress lighter.

1/3: As I started on this cigar, the first few puffs produced a nice volume of smoke. The flavors are predominantly a cinnamon type spice, with some citrus on the retrohale. The draw was superb, and the smoke volume was impressive. I did have a bit of an issue with the burn on the first 3rd that required a couple of touch ups. The touch ups were not to difficult to correct. I don’t know if the burn issue was due to the construction of the cigar, or the fact that it was a little breezy outside when I was smoking. So far, this is a very enjoyable smoke.

2/3: As I continued on this cigar, I got a significant amount of the citrus flavor, with any spice flavors fading into the background. The smoke volume is still great, and the burn is correcting itself. The ash is pretty solid, falling off every 3/4 of an inch or so. Through the entirety of this portion, I got a mostly citrus flavor, and not much changed, but it was a pretty decent flavor, so I didn’t mind. I’m still very much enjoying this cigar. It’s not overly complex, but the flavors are still enjoyable.

3/3: As I finished this cigar, the flavors were still very straightforward citrus, without a whole lot of changes or complexity. I really am enjoying the flavors, so changing or complexity is not needed, and I can see this cigar as one that will stay in my rotation.

Overall Impression: Overall, I enjoyed the smoke volume, draw, and citrus flavor that was dominant in this cigar. I have a few more of these, and I can’t wait to smoke them and see how they are. Seeing as how they are not yet released to the general public, I say that once these are released everyone ought to try at least one or two. I want to thank General Cigar for sending me a few of these to review.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Nelenea
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (0)
Nelenea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: General Cigar Foundry Review

Bumping this thread as I saw a few sizes of these at my local shop. Was wondering if anyone else has tried them and has anything to add... Thinking about picking a few up Wednesday when I go to the RP event here.
Nelenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

I want one of these just because they look awesome.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

I grabbed on eof these 2 weekends back. I wanted to give it a bit of a rest since the B&M I grabbed it from said they were brand new and I wasnt sure how long it had been off the truck.
The 2 people at the shop both were very adamant about smoking this with a clean palette, saying this is "very unique". I wasn't sure if it was a sales pitch or if they were for real since this was my first visit to this shop.
Hoping to spark it in the next few days, I'll report back as well.

Thanks for the review Scott *cheers*
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Hoover Niebold
I like fistables.

First Name: Opie
Hoover Niebold is on a distinguished road

I recently tried this cigar at the cigar bar in Downtown Disney and was very surprised as to how good it was. Locally here in the Omaha area I can't find this cigar and would love to have a few to add to my humidor. I have had no luck finding them online either, would anyone know where I might purchase them online?
Hoover Niebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

I read an interview involving a rep from Foundry saying that you should save the gears that come with the cigars ( who wouldn't ? ) because there would be a promotional run involving these gears, in the future.

Not sure if they mean special gifts or discounts, since the rings are kind of like a proof of purchase thing......
or if the gears will serve some sort of purpose in a funky larger monstrosity thingy......

Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Old VA Tobacco in Woodbridge had them a few weeks ago. I don't see them listed but I know they have more than listed on their web site, you could give them a call.

http://ovtc.com/cigar.html
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Hoover Niebold
I like fistables.

First Name: Opie
Hoover Niebold is on a distinguished road

I finally found them at http://www.mikescigars.com/ $193 shipped for a box ox 24, not bad.
Had to call because General won't allow internet sales.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
bdgile is on a distinguished road

Nice review.

I am liking these more and more over the past couple of months.
bdgile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Great review, I was looking for some of these since the local B&M doesn't carry them and found this pic of their show set up... very cool, kind of want this as my desk to work at.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

From what I've heard about the gears, if you possess one of each Foundry line of cigars, and send the gears in from each of those cigars you will receive a desktop cutter in which the gears are a part of. That's what I have heard.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Well now I have a mission it seems...
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
dozer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
dozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
From what I've heard about the gears, if you possess one of each Foundry line of cigars, and send the gears in from each of those cigars you will receive a desktop cutter in which the gears are a part of. That's what I have heard.
At first glance I thought these were pretty gimicky, but that sounds like cool marketing...
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review, Scott!

I had the Wells this past weekend, a gift from Andrew (sikk50).

I found it to be unique! I tried to pinpoint the flavor notes I was picking up on and then found it amusing that I could not find information on the types of tobacco used in the blend, beyond the wrapper.

I agree with Scott, if you haven't tried one, do yourself a favor and pick one up. You won't be disappointed.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Zipponubke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rene
Bolivar
Zipponubke is on a distinguished road

Nice review.
Zipponubke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Now I want one!
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

In the shop today I saw the one that is bulbous at the top and tapered down to the bottom and had the diagonal cut on the foot. It looked totally ridiculous, so much so that I could not bring myself to try it.
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
crgcpro
PGA Professional

First Name: Bart
Trading: (1)
HdM
crgcpro is on a distinguished road

Bland super-mild and flavorless cigar
crgcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #19