Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default grinder question

So, Dani, the coffee fanatic here, has been making do with a whirlyblade grinder. After reading through the threads here, it's obvious that she needs a burr grinder. Any recommendations? NOT looking to spend a fortune....please be reasonable.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: grinder question

I bought the Bodum burr grinder and have liked it so far. Does well for French press or moka pot. Just did a grind for a drip maker yesterday and it worked well too. Something like $80-90 of Amazon. Easy to clean also. Only complaint is that it's a bit noisy, but since it's not running for that long, it's not an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

What's the method you use to brew Scott?
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I was looking at one that I have seen many people have Purchased. It is sold at bed bath and beyond. It's $50.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinder is what I use and recommend it to those looking for their first burr grinder. Does a great job and can be had for around $100. Don't expect burr grinders in this price range to do a great job for finer grinds.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the feedback guys! As to what she uses now, I would assume drip process. I'm not the coffee drinker......I just obsess over things for her.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

I have one of these cuisinart things and it's been working fine for several years. Not great reviews on Amazon, but I think some of those reviewers have pretty high expectations for a $40 burr grinder. I find that it does not create a perfect grind and would not be great for a high end espresso maker but does great for drip coffee makers on a medium grind. There is a little dust created in the grinding process, so when you french press with it there is some fine dust that gets through the screen and makes a small amount of sludge at the bottom of the cup.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Had that exact Cuisinart burr grinder and it smoked.....literally. Filled the kitchen with burnt electrical smoke....not again. Was never happy with the grind; always some "dust" that wasn't the ticket for the French Press. OK for $40.00 if it doesn't set your house on fire, I guess....

Ended up buying a Baratza Virtuoso conical burr mill. Here's some great details and comparisions over at "Sweet Maria's" on the machine. Also, if you check the Baratza web site, they usually have refurbished machines for sale, though they are out now until after the first of the month.

This is one of those things that was bloody expensive.....and damn well worth it every time I use it. It makes perfect ground coffee, as course or fine as you'd like. Never had a problem, sounds like it'll last a long time. I'd buy another one, tomorrow.....
Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
Had that exact Cuisinart burr grinder and it smoked.....literally. Filled the kitchen with burnt electrical smoke....not again. Was never happy with the grind; always some "dust" that wasn't the ticket for the French Press. OK for $40.00 if it doesn't set your house on fire, I guess....

No smoke for me, yet... I can think of many ways that I am in more danger of burning my house down than a little electrical appliance (month old christmas tree with 8 strings of lights on it all plugged into the same outlet, for example). The fine dust is an issue with french press, didn't bother me too much, but it is there and I can imagine it would bug many.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinder is what I use and recommend it to those looking for their first burr grinder. Does a great job and can be had for around $100. Don't expect burr grinders in this price range to do a great job for finer grinds.
I have had this grinder for close to 4 years--it works GREAT!. I paid $65.99 for it, being it is a factory refurbished unit. They are regularly being sold for $89.99 just about every place I check.

It grinds for my Moka Pot very well as well as drip, french press, everything except for espresso--Like Christos said it probably won't do a great job for real fine grinds.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I picked up a Baratza Maestro for $99 shipped off Amazon, can't find the exact model or price there anymore though.

But it's been working great for the 13 months I've had it. Been pretty negligent too, I've cleaned it maybe 2-3 times.

Found it, this is the exact unit.
http://www.roastmasters.com/maestro....FQtZ7AodgmtZlw
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Jenady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
So, Dani, the coffee fanatic here, has been making do with a whirlyblade grinder. After reading through the threads here, it's obvious that she needs a burr grinder. Any recommendations? NOT looking to spend a fortune....please be reasonable.
I am finding that the coffee experience is much like the cigar experience. I started out with a inexpensive burr grinder like some are suggesting. They work OK but...

I moved up to a Rocky grinder. It works so much better and is much more adjustable. It is also much more expensive. I used mine for moka pot and french press brewing for over a year now. I have ground several pounds so far. Then I moved up to an espresso machine.

I bought a Expobar Brewtus IV-R. Now it is obvious that the Rocky is not up to the task of providing consistent enough grinds to get great espresso. So, I ordered a Compak K10 Professional Barista K10, real expensive.

Do you see the trend?

I hope this is the end of my quest. In fact, it has to be the end but then I am still looking for the ultimate cigar too.

It is a sickness.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

I started with the Capresso burr grinder as well. It was relatively inexpensive compared to the other options and I could "test the waters" without going overboard. It was noisy and fairly messy, but got the job done.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a KitchenAid Pro Line Series Burr Coffee Mill. I don't have any experience with it yet, but the reviews appear to be fairly solid.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
This is what I use and am very happy with it.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:20 AM   #15
stevengturney40

A crank shaft is held in two indexing pot chucks, one at each end, so that it can be rotated about the axis of its offset pins. The two workheads must allign the ends of the crankshaft accurately and turn in unison.

Interlocks are provided to prevent traverse of the table while grinding, work rotation during wheel dressing, rotation of the work heads with the work unclamped and traverse of the table while workrest shoes are in place.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #16
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Given the thread's title, I wasn't sure what to expect....
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Given the thread's title, I wasn't sure what to expect....
Had the same thoughts.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Phrasing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #19
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I'm pretty careful about how my crankshaft is held, especially the rotation of the work head(s).
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I'm pretty careful about how my crankshaft is held, especially the rotation of the work head(s).

Phrasing!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote