Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
coty

Default New Cuba Nicaraguian Churchill

New cuba nicaragua churchill

This is a Nic short filler puro that I picked up for 2.50 at the shop.

The construct feels good, however,the foot has been cut a little funny. I don't believe it will be an issue that a little fire can't fix.

I broke out a freebie cutter and sliced the end off and BOOM it just cracked down the side a good two inches! Being determined to smoke it though, I sliced the celo in about a 2 inch "sleeve " and slid it over, doubled the celo on its self and placed two price stickers on it to hold it good and snug... crafty.

The prelight draw reveals very little taste, nothing really noteable, just a little dusty.

Once burning, the cigar pulls very well considering the repair. It has a very smooth light body to it with a little earthy note. It is rather tasy compared the the last few cigars I have had.

About an inch into the first 1/3 the blue tinted smoke draws in for a pleasing, earthy, nicaraguian tobacco taste; followed by a nice white smoke exhale leaving an ever so faint spice and sweetness. I regret not being able to photograph my rigged up cigar with a blue smoke and a white exhale. The flavor reminds me of a Isle del Sol without the sweet tip or the infused flavoring.

The 2/3 of this rather long churchill (7 1/2 inches) is giving a little more body, still with an earthy undertone and faint spice on the exhale. The burn is perfect and it held the ash until I decided it was time to be removed. The blend is still quite tasty, I find myself refering it to a light Maduro style sweetness with the earth and body of the Isle del Sol Robusto. The ash has a nice white gray color and is very straight.

Now that I have hit the half way mark, I am going to have to get rid of my celo-sticker-sleeve, and hope that it didn't bust through the binder too much. I opened my mouth too early as well, the ash just decided it was goin to dive onto my new shirt.

The last 3rd of the cigar is burning quite nicely. Apparently being the wet smoker I can be has placed some moisture down the celo sleeve and in the crack and the smoke is not escaping, looks like I got lucky.! The flavor is still a medium body earthy flavor with a lite spice and a hint of leather. The blend is nice and mello and most importantly enjoyable! Since there is no band I am going to continue with it a little bit more than I would normally go.

Finished well for me with the earthyish spice.

My personal score with price, flavor, and burn in mind... I would give it a 7.5 for being what it is. This cigar was well worth the few bucks it cost. Total birn time an hour and 8 mins.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Cuba Nicaraguian Churchill

Thanks for the review!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Cuba Nicaraguian Churchill

I think Tabacalara Tropical offers some great low-priced sticks. I've tried most all of them, except this one.

Just checked there website, and it is the first time I have seen anything new from them in awhile. Looks like they have a new JFR LE. That's definately new. The first JFRs produced in Nicaragua were legendary.