Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #201
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
About the same as smoking pipes and cigars, mebbee.

Don't scour but once. Thereafter, only rinse the lower and rinse and dry-wipe out the upper.
Good point.

I ordered a 3 cup. Target and BBB only had the 6 cup versions. Now to figure out where to get beans and a decent grinder.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #202
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

After searching for the last few weeks I have finally found a grinder for my moka pot. It did not make any sense to spend 100+$ on one to get the grind I am looking for. I went with a manual ceramic burr grinder made by hario (mini slim) here is a decent video where it shows it being able to pull expresso and just up to a French press. I will post what I think after I get a chance to play with it.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Har...cg11550-40.htm
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #203
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Excellent! Keep us informed how it works. I had heard of this one several years ago; was thinking of getting it for camping. Good rep on it.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #204
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper. Now to find some good espresso beans. The ones I've been using say they're good for espresso, but not for me. I love it in the FP, so I'll stick with that.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #205
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper. Now to find some good espresso beans. The ones I've been using say they're good for espresso, but not for me. I love it in the FP, so I'll stick with that.
Ain't that the truth Bob! Lots of different Espresso roasts out there to choose from. Always great when you find something that floats your boat

Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #206
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I got my moka pot today. It kind of stunk like metal and grease. Is this normal? I washed it with hot water and dish soap, then boiled up regular water followed by 4 pots of cheap drip coffee. Smells better, but it's not completely gone. Will this eventually go away?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #207
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

It will eventually go away. Did your brewed coffee smell funny? I would guess it didn't. You might remove your gasket and wash it too. I would think you are good to go after you do that.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #208
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I got my moka pot today. It kind of stunk like metal and grease. Is this normal?
Upon opening my Bialetti 3 cupper, it did not have the smell you're speaking about. But as Dan and Rick have mentioned, a lite wash with some mild detergent to start things off, run a couple of batches through, and the only thing you really need to do after that is simply rinse it with warm water after the pot cools down and towel dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper...
I performed a few extra measurements on the 3 cupper. You get about 5oz of water if you fill to the "fill line" in the bottom piece. If your placing approximately 19-21g of finely ground coffee in the filter basket, you will have about 4oz of brewed coffee. The grounds in the filter retain about an ounce of water...
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #209
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
I performed a few extra measurements on the 3 cupper. You get about 5oz of water if you fill to the "fill line" in the bottom piece. If your placing approximately 19-21g of finely ground coffee in the filter basket, you will have about 4oz of brewed coffee. The grounds in the filter retain about an ounce of water...
Yep, that's what I've been finding too.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #210
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Here is my first pot. I used some starbucks house blend since it's all I have for now.

The first latte was pretty tasty. The second, not so much. It was kind of burnt. Is this because I left it in the pot? Should I be pouring it all out immediately?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #211
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Brian, I pour mine out as soon as it stops brewing.

Today at the NEX I picked up a can of Cafe Bustelo (expresso) and I have to say it is GREAT the mokapot. Compared to the Lavazza I was using my brew time has gone from 10+ min to about 3 and the flavors from the Bustelo are very good, very complex and sweet and it tasted like I poured some whiskey in the cup. The grind seems to be just right on it.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #212
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Brian, I pour mine out as soon as it stops brewing.

Today at the NEX I picked up a can of Cafe Bustelo (expresso) and I have to say it is GREAT the mokapot. Compared to the Lavazza I was using my brew time has gone from 10+ min to about 3 and the flavors from the Bustelo are very good, very complex and sweet and it tasted like I poured some whiskey in the cup. The grind seems to be just right on it.
What is NEX? I bought some green beans and a whirley-pop, but they won't be here until next week.

I bought a cuisinart grinder for $40. Hoping it will do a decent job.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #213
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
What is NEX?
Navy Exchange...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #214
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Cool thanks. I got some dark roast Sumatra from our local sprouts market and it brewed up great! So glad I found this thread!

By the way, how is the grinder working out? I almost went with a manual before deciding on the cheap electric cuisinart one. How long does it take to grind enough beans to fill the moka pot?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #215
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Brian, and everyone else. The Hario is perfect Imho. The grind is right where I want it which is just a tad bigger than an expression grind. It comes completely apart which makes cleaning very easy. The burrs are ceramic and just do a great job. If you are going for a drip grind do not buy it, as the burrs get farther apart the grind becomes inconsistent. As for the time I have a one cupper so I measure 2 tablespoons on the big side and it takes about a min to grind. The hario when unscrewed fits into my basket for my moka so there is very little mess, just a small amount of grounds when I level the basket.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #216
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
I went with a manual ceramic burr grinder made by hario (mini slim) here is a decent video where it shows it being able to pull expresso and just up to a French press.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Hario-Mini-Mill-Slim-p/scg11550-40.htm

Thanks for the link to the Hario Mini Mill Slim Jake. That looks like a winner to me.

...I love the video too. Those ladies have had one too many shotz of espresso

Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #217
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I have to say, the mokapot is awesome. I get great tasting lattes. I have a system where I make a latte with half, then just make an americano with cream for my second cup.

The $3 frothing wand I bought from Ikea works okay, but I may end up getting a manual pump frother. Or maybe even splurge and get an automatic frothing device.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #218
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for the link to the Hario Mini Mill Slim Jake. That looks like a winner to me.

...I love the video too. Those ladies have had one too many shotz of espresso

After about a month of use several times a day it still kicks ass
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #219
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I was just given an older bialetti, been trying it out with generally good results, but hadn't read this thread in a couple years. I think I need to back off the heat a bit, pretty sure it's steel
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #220
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
I was just given an older bialetti, been trying it out with generally good results, but hadn't read this thread in a couple years. I think I need to back off the heat a bit, pretty sure it's steel
Never saw one in steel but, either way, you want to brew at lowest possible heat when the flow commences down the post. Try to stretch it out a good 45-seconds until the coffee dribble goes pale then quickly remove from heat.

Brew on my brothers. Can't believe anyone is still reading this post. Nice!