Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Extra Large 65% Rh Heartfelt Humidity Tube

So I have one of these in my humidor now, the humidor is 2080 CI and the thing is rated for 2000. It's holding 60 RH....for some reason no matter what I've put into the humidor it doesn't hold 65-67 RH. Does this really matter? Is this why my sticks go out halfway through for no reason? Well some of them... What's going on?

Could it be I'm just not letting the cigars rest long enough? I open my humidor probably once a day for about 30 seconds to a minute.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Extra Large 65% Rh Heartfelt Humidity Tube

You must believe!

Eventually things will stabilize. A drop or rise of 5-10% will not make any difference in how your sticks smoke in the long run. Just let them be for a month or two and everything will be fine.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Sounds good, just got a bit worried about the inconsistent RH.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Its no big deal dont worry. I barely even look at my hygrometers anymore. I used to check them several times a day. 3 coolers, two Vinotemps and 3 desktop's. Now I just rely on how my cigars are smoking. If they smoke well, are not squishy or crackly then I assume the beads are doing their job. Cigars are much more resilient than expect.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bob is wise, Bill.

Besides that, I would ask if your hygrometer is calibrated, and it your humidor is properly sealed.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Stupid question: Did you allow enough time for the humidor to be properly seasoned? I don't know if this is a new humi, or one you've been using for some time.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Darrell

I haven't looked at a hygrometer in a year, I'm not even sure that they work still. My sticks are smoking great though.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Bob is wise, Bill.

Besides that, I would ask if your hygrometer is calibrated, and it your humidor is properly sealed.
Properly sealed....I think so, how would I check that?

Hygrometer calibrated....nope, paid $45 and it said that wasn't necessary. It was the same RH as the cheap crap one they gave me...EXACTLY the same so to me that said it's 99% correct.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Calibration- http://www.cigarmony.com/calibratinghygrometers.aspx
Humidor Seasoning- http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=seasoning

To check the seal on your humidor, assuming its a desktop, lift the lid 3-4 inches and drop. You should hear the air "whoosh" out, the lid should not slam shut. It if slams shut, they you probably have a leak. You may be able to find the leak by checking with a flashlight inside and looking for light escaping. You can also put a dollar bill in various places around the edge. If it slips out too easily in one place that is where you are leaking. Apply some painters tape in small strips around the edge where you find the leak.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Hygrometer calibrated....nope, paid $45 and it said that wasn't necessary. It was the same RH as the cheap crap one they gave me...EXACTLY the same so to me that said it's 99% correct.
It is necessary, Bill.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Its no big deal dont worry. I barely even look at my hygrometers anymore. I used to check them several times a day. 3 coolers, two Vinotemps and 3 desktop's. Now I just rely on how my cigars are smoking. If they smoke well, are not squishy or crackly then I assume the beads are doing their job. Cigars are much more resilient than expect.

The batteries in mine are dead and I would no longer look even if they had fresh batteries. I trust my 65% beads. They give me a near perfect smoke every stick except for those that are plugged with sticks and bad hard core rolled cigars.

In the summer I do freshen the batteries though in the stupid hot weather. The thermometer is needed as my computer room gets warm. If need be I move the humis and coolidor to the spare bedroom.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Calibration- http://www.cigarmony.com/calibratinghygrometers.aspx
Humidor Seasoning- http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ight=seasoning

To check the seal on your humidor, assuming its a desktop, lift the lid 3-4 inches and drop. You should hear the air "whoosh" out, the lid should not slam shut. It if slams shut, they you probably have a leak. You may be able to find the leak by checking with a flashlight inside and looking for light escaping. You can also put a dollar bill in various places around the edge. If it slips out too easily in one place that is where you are leaking. Apply some painters tape in small strips around the edge where you find the leak.
I'll try that dollar bill trick. But it doesn't slam shut at all, it closes very nicely.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Here's a seal test for you... courtesy of WaxingMoon... seal test
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
I'll try that dollar bill trick. But it doesn't slam shut at all, it closes very nicely.
If it doesnt slam,then you are ok. Probably just needs time to stabilize, give it a couple of weeks.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Sounds good, just got a bit worried about the inconsistent RH.
How long has your humidor been set up? The reason I ask is if its a stabilized humidor (properly seasoned, good seal, etc) then it may be the beads.

Heartfelt beads were not as solid as I would have liked as a newbie. The constant RH% swings + my inexperience = me with lots of agita! I switched to Shilala beads, and its like the "Showtime Rotisserie"... Set and forget!

I dont want to knock Vipers product, he makes a good bead. But for me Shilala beads worked better.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Well I'm decently sure my humidor is sealed properly. The tube is 65% RH and my humidity is 59 right now....... I just soaked the tube in distilled water again. We'll see if that does anything if not I might just order Shilala beads.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #17
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well I'm decently sure my humidor is sealed properly. The tube is 65% RH and my humidity is 59 right now....... I just soaked the tube in distilled water again. We'll see if that does anything if not I might just order Shilala beads.
Um... I don't have the Heartfelts, but i think I remember reading that the beads are not supposed to be soaked... something like a 50% wet, 50% dry...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #18
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Well I soak them and shake them out...... then dry them off. Tons of water comes out after it's done soaked for just a sec. Literally it's a dip....

I'm sure I am crazy it's just all the $$$$ and effort involved so far...and I've overspent my budget time after time. I just want to make sure my sticks are safe!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #19
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Um... I don't have the Heartfelts, but i think I remember reading that the beads are not supposed to be soaked... something like a 50% wet, 50% dry...
if they are 100% wet then they can't absorb any humidity. Plus the beads will crack
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #20
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

hmmm So explain how am I supposed to apply the distilled water to the tube? They shake and sound like beads in a tube....to me they shouldn't be 100% wet.....they took a dip and a rigorous shake then a wipe down.