Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default Tobacco shipment #1!!

Just got a box in the mail today! I was advised to try these and some came in today.

Lane BCA, Lane 1Q, Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening, Seattle pipe club Mississippi River, and Drew Estate 7th ave Blonde!

The C&D Autumn Evening is definitely an interesting smell in the pkg. The most pronounced of all of the rest. I dont know which one to try first!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tobacco shipment #1!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog View Post
Just got a box in the mail today! I was advised to try these and some came in today.

Lane BCA, Lane 1Q, Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening, Seattle pipe club Mississippi River, and Drew Estate 7th ave Blonde!

The C&D Autumn Evening is definitely an interesting smell in the pkg. The most pronounced of all of the rest. I dont know which one to try first!
Nice haul. Let us know how you like them.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

"A red virginia cavendish laced with delicate maple". The C&D Autumn Evening. The opening was strong with scent of butter scotch not maple to me. Might just be me. It packed well (only half bowel this time) and lit easily from the zippo. I immediately liked it. It was as smooth as anything I have ever had and smoother than most.

It was sugary sweet but I could not pick up any maple. Butter scotch yes. It is a very light aromatic and oh so very smooth. It was a little dry compared to other aromatics tho. Absolutely no tongue bite or harshness.

I wonder if the nic percentage is higher in this tobacco? I got a light buzz. I think this needs a drink with it and after some food. I have not eaten dinner yet so that may be why it hit me that way..

It is a very pleasant smoke however. It will easily make it into rotation. I only got one ounce of it and already wish I had bought more. Im happy with this one as a regular!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
"A red virginia cavendish laced with delicate maple". The C&D Autumn Evening. The opening was strong with scent of butter scotch not maple to me. Might just be me. It packed well (only half bowel this time) and lit easily from the zippo. I immediately liked it. It was as smooth as anything I have ever had and smoother than most.

It was sugary sweet but I could not pick up any maple. Butter scotch yes. It is a very light aromatic and oh so very smooth. It was a little dry compared to other aromatics tho. Absolutely no tongue bite or harshness.

I wonder if the nic percentage is higher in this tobacco? I got a light buzz. I think this needs a drink with it and after some food. I have not eaten dinner yet so that may be why it hit me that way..

It is a very pleasant smoke however. It will easily make it into rotation. I only got one ounce of it and already wish I had bought more. Im happy with this one as a regular!
That sounds like something I'll have to try.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Second what Subvet642 said, Thank you for the informatioin

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Here are some further reviews for C&D Autumn Evening:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...autumn-evening
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Sounds like an after pancake breakfast smoke.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Sounds like an after pancake breakfast smoke.
What - you Lutheran or something...?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

C&D Autumn Evening is my favorite. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
What - you Lutheran or something...?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Ok. My morning pipe was 7Th Avenue Blonde by Drew Estates. The review site listed above says "Burley, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia" with a vanilla taste and nice aromatic room note.

I have never had any cigars from this company because they seemed kind of hippy to me. Sticks called "lizard tail" and "Clowns butt" and the like. (these are not actual names but you get the idea) They just never seemed like serious people to me.

So, I put this ribbon cut nice tin smelling blend in a new pipe. A cheaper pipe called Casillero. Its a smaller bowel bent stem.

The tobacco lit easily and smelled great - for about 1 minute. Then it went to bland. No vanilla in this mix I can find. Not in the tin smells and not when burning. It was a soft smoke with no bite for me.

What I did find was that it had little if any taste. It also burned so hot the New pipe had to be put down and out. It was burning me! I wondered if this was just the pipe so I reloaded in a 2007 Bosley thick walled rusticated poker. This bowl could hold a nuke!

The Bosley went hot and stayed so hot I almost had to quit it also after 5 minutes. The mix is not dry so I dont know why it went so hot. Will I smoke the rest of this 1.6 ounce tin? I dont know. maybe I will try to mix it with something. Will I buy any more of it? probably not. I read the review site above and dont get where they got what they said. That was not my experience. Shame too.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Idk if it makes a difference but I dried mine more and it was fine to me.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ok. My morning pipe was 7Th Avenue Blonde by Drew Estates. The review site listed above says "Burley, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia" with a vanilla taste and nice aromatic room note.

I have never had any cigars from this company because they seemed kind of hippy to me. Sticks called "lizard tail" and "Clowns butt" and the like. (these are not actual names but you get the idea) They just never seemed like serious people to me.

So, I put this ribbon cut nice tin smelling blend in a new pipe. A cheaper pipe called Casillero. Its a smaller bowel bent stem.

The tobacco lit easily and smelled great - for about 1 minute. Then it went to bland. No vanilla in this mix I can find. Not in the tin smells and not when burning. It was a soft smoke with no bite for me.

What I did find was that it had little if any taste. It also burned so hot the New pipe had to be put down and out. It was burning me! I wondered if this was just the pipe so I reloaded in a 2007 Bosley thick walled rusticated poker. This bowl could hold a nuke!

The Bosley went hot and stayed so hot I almost had to quit it also after 5 minutes. The mix is not dry so I dont know why it went so hot. Will I smoke the rest of this 1.6 ounce tin? I dont know. maybe I will try to mix it with something. Will I buy any more of it? probably not. I read the review site above and dont get where they got what they said. That was not my experience. Shame too.
Bummer you didn't like the blend =( I haven't had any Drew Estate pipe tobacco. For some reason it hasn't interested me. It's something to do with the fact that they specialize in cigars, which somehow makes me feel like they wouldn't be as dedicated to pipe tobacco. Maybe I'm right after reading your experience!

Don't discount their cigars though. They make some pretty good cigars. You really should give one a try.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

I will try to dry the blend and try it again. I wanted to like it despite my misgivings about the company.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Nice reviews! One suggestion though: bowl and bowel are two vastly different things.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Nice reviews! One suggestion though: bowl and bowel are two vastly different things.
I didn't even notice. +1 to Brian's comment don't overlook drew estate I love MUWAT Bait Fish even though I agree that the name is weird. The liga lines are also amazing especially undercrowns and unico papas fritas. (I like shorter smokes)

I hope next time you have a better experience with the Blond. I feel somewhat responsible since I recommended it.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Not at all. It is different. Different is something I am not always good at. Im stogy and need my universe to expand a bit.

I am drying some and will go at it again tomorrow!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I've tried and liked Meat Pie. Medium English, similar to Dunhill London Mixture. How was the Mississippi River?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Smoking pipes says "Mississippi River is a smooth, medium blend of pressed red and stoved Virginia tobaccos with a unique balance of Louisiana Perique and Cyprian Latakia which makes this krumble kake tobacco a complex and rich smoke with a lovely sweet finish that lingers nicely on the palate. This Seattle Pipe Club Blend was created by our master blending guru, Joe Lankford, and is now being blended and offered for sale by our friends at pipesandcigars.com. A major hit with members who like Virginias and/or English blends - very gentle on the tongue for an all day smoke.

Notes: Smooth, creamy, rich, lightly smoky and appropriately sweet, with hints of dried fruits and a touch of dark chocolate."

It is all that says. I also found it not very exciting for a first pipe full. It is a virginia and like you said I should like it. Maybe it will take a few pipes full to decide that.

Sorry if this doesnt really help much. It so far just didnt jump out at me.