Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: You could have heard a pin drop.

nice post, but let us not forget that there would be no good ole USA to save the world if the French didn't save out ass in the 18th century. The US leaves this mostly out of the history books, but the island of Antigua was worth more to England than the colonies, so French activity there gave rise to our 'victory'.

Before we go around pretending to be superior, let's recall that we were once quite lowly. And that's about all I have to say about that.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
nice post, but let us not forget that there would be no good ole USA to save the world if the French didn't save out ass in the 18th century. The US leaves this mostly out of the history books, but the island of Antigua was worth more to England than the colonies, so French activity there gave rise to our 'victory'.

Before we go around pretending to be superior, let's recall that we were once quite lowly. And that's about all I have to say about that.
Since this is a pride thread and being a history buff, even that fact is now debated with a lot of new light being shed on things.

Great thread for sure.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post

Don't forget the statue of liberty as well. Nice gift and... well she's French you know.. pretty sure she goin commando under that robe.

(I wrote and didn't post pretty much what you said here. But ... well it's France )
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #24
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Don't forget the statue of liberty as well. Nice gift and... well she's French you know.. pretty sure she goin commando under that robe.

(I wrote and didn't post pretty much what you said here. But ... well it's France )
I have a soft spot in my heart for France; and not just because they are short-sighted and arrogant.

The French and Americans have a long and glorious history. While we currently are not seeing perfectly eye-to-eye, I'd hate to see people trash them without considering all that they've done for us.

As for the Italians, do you know what they do with their armies?

They put them in their sleevies.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #25
ashmaster

Great reading....thanks Fred.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #26
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I find this picture pretty offending and very arrogant.

How about all the English, Australian, Dutch soldiers and all the other soldiers from different nationinalities fighting and dying in a war the Americans started? Now, normally I would not complain about it, but when an asshole wears an arrogant and very untrue statement like that on his uniform I think he should be severely punished. Behaviour like this makes me sick and if I was a politician I would seriously consider not renewing the Dutch mission in Afghanistan due to statements made by this asshole who should be glad that he is getting all international support at a high price.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #27
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

I like there toast
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #28
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

How about all the English, Australian, Dutch soldiers and all the other soldiers from different nationinalities fighting and dying in a war the Americans started? Now, normally I would not complain about it, but when an asshole wears an arrogant and very untrue statement like that on his uniform I think he should be severely punished. Behaviour like this makes me sick and if I was a politician I would seriously consider not renewing the Dutch mission in Afghanistan due to statements made by this asshole who should be glad that he is getting all international support at a high price.
Pretty sure that those other patches were photo-shopped on there Don... so dont call the Court-Marshall yet!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #29
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Thank you Fred. Those strories gave me chills!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #30
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Pretty sure that's photo shopped. Don't think the regulations allow for such trivial, jovial statements.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

then the motherphucker who made the chop should be forced to meet with a foreign unit who just lost one of their mates. See how they like the statement the photoshopper made.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #32
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
then the motherphucker who made the chop should be forced to meet with a foreign unit who just lost one of their mates. See how they like the statement the photoshopper made.
Don, see how angry you feel about this?

This is the same way we feel whenever a forigen nation, or its people bash the USA or our military.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Good stuff there!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #34
macms
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trading: (56)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
macms has disabled reputation

Quote:

Don, IMO you're entitled to feel outrage as I'm sure your countryman and soldiers would if they saw this. The intent of this thread was not to disrespect good men. The intent was to expose the insensitivity and arrogant attitudes of others toward our nation. Notice that I said others and not nations. I think we are wise enough to recognize the ignorant when they speak and know that they do not speak for reasonable people.

These are good and brave men.

PS I think we must always remember there are multi generational and historical experiences on CA.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #35
CigarDood
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
CigarDood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macms View Post
The intent was to expose the insensitivity and arrogant attitudes of others toward our nation.
I think it's fine to talk about the great things Americans have done and be proud of our country, but let's all try not to expose the insensitivity and arrogant attitudes of our people towards others.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #36
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:

Whoa, Nellie, there! The French, Germans, and Russians did not help us out in Iraq at all, just criticized, and, in fact, aided the enemy. There is nothing here that denigrates the English, Australians, Dutch, or anyone else besides pointing out the lack of help from those three nations.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #37
GrumpyOleTroll
Not Crazy enuff to B Here

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Navy (Served With Honor)
GrumpyOleTroll has disabled reputation

Thank you again Fred for a Post I can share with my kids so that all the bad they see that there is a twist that makes it important.

While I was in training in Damneck there were a TON of students there from MANY places around the world and many thanked our instructors for the time they put in. They appreciated the ability to learn these systems. I got to know about their military histories and there is a good chance we are all tied together in some way.

Thank you again for the Post and another lil reminder of what some are willing to give up.

Shawn
Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #38
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Biggest clue that the pic was photoshppoed is the U.S. flag is facing the wrong direction.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #39
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macms View Post
Don, IMO you're entitled to feel outrage as I'm sure your countryman and soldiers would if they saw this. The intent of this thread was not to disrespect good men. The intent was to expose the insensitivity and arrogant attitudes of others toward our nation. Notice that I said others and not nations.
but Fred, doesn't this picture show that it is definately not a one way street? And IMO there is a difference in the stories you posted which are not bashing the army but in:
Story one - The policits of the Bush administration
Story two - The politics of the Bush administration
Story three - The arrogance of a French officer
Story four - An elderly man who didn't have his paperwork ready when going tru customs

but the statement on the picture is disrespect to the non American soldiers that are dying out there. What further fuels my rage about this picture is the fact that yes, thanks to the Americans (and Brits, Canadians, Australians & Maroccan) armed forces WWII ended and there has always been a great deal of respect and appriciation towards those troops. Now foreign troops are helping America out in two wars (I see Iraq and Afghanistan as two seperated wars) and we got shown disrespect in this way (I know not every is disrespecting the allied forces, I am just talking about this picture and the photoshopper who made it).
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #40
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI_2 View Post
Biggest clue that the pic was photoshppoed is the U.S. flag is facing the wrong direction.
You beat me to it.