Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: I do not participate because:
Economy (Uncertain about future employment and earnings.) 33 44.59%
Political (Oppose troop deployment and/or other reasons.) 3 4.05%
Accountability (Donations are used appropriately.) 1 1.35%
Expense (I can't afford to donate at the moment.) 41 55.41%
Unaware (Don't follow the troop support efforts.) 10 13.51%
Do it myself (I would rather send donations directly to the troops.) 16 21.62%
Other 12 16.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: Troop support - poll & discussion

I have a nephew in Iraq and I've been sending some stuff to him on my own.

MCS
Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihut27 View Post
Fred,

Before, the threads were in General Discussion, right out in front of everyone on stickys. Now they have a separate forum. The Troop Support forum has a dedicated group of viewers, but doesn't get the same viewing numbers as the general discussion forum does.

You must realize this, too- this thread is in general discussion and not troop support.

The more the topic is in front of people, the greater response you will get. I'm sure that there are a lot of folks who intend to or would like to donate, but it just kind of gets forgotten.

And yeah, JohnnyKay5 and SSG Adams being so well-known and outgoing probably helped a lot. But Alex is still there, right?

As far as the economy goes- believe me when I say this- the troops are just as pleased with $20 bundles as they are premiums. Just the fact that you take the time to send some smokes makes a great difference to the troops. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money. (Been there )
I don't think what is highlighted in bold has been stressed enough. When I read through the threads, it seems the emphasis is on sending "quality" cigars. "Quality" meaning expensive to me. That may just be my impression but I got that on both forums. I know the bundled cigars I've sent over to my nephew have been well-received and I would hope that ANY cigars would be appreciated.

MCS
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
JKim

I have to admit that my participation for the troops has dwindled as of the past few months. I do have a package committed on a personal request that will go out soon.

I've noticed, not that there's anything wrong with this, but there are a lot of bombs going back and forth between members of the forum. I'm positive all these bombs are well deserved by the recipents. I know it's all great fun, because I've sent and received my share.

I wonder if some of this attention could be directed on the troops..? :]

I'm not trying to make any feel obligated or feel any sense of guilt, but when I have some cigars to spare, the troops come to mind first for me. But that's just me.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
...Before, the threads were in General Discussion, right out in front of everyone on stickys. Now they have a separate forum. The Troop Support forum has a dedicated group of viewers, but doesn't get the same viewing numbers as the general discussion forum does...
Aside from economic realities and familiar soldiers coming home, I think this is a key factor. Same thing happened at CS - threads were moved to a different location and get little attention other than from those who were looking for them. As you know I stepped down here because there was no need for three of us given the level of donations, and stayed on at CS since there was no other representation there. It's pretty much fizzled out amongst the membership there for the combination of reasons already stated.

One thing to keep in mind though Fred, is that you created a lot of activity with raffles, auctions and the like which caused a marked increase in donations. I think things just might be settling down to the levels before all that, when shipments were fewer and farther in-between. John told me more than once the cigars for troops efforts were producing far more activity than he'd seen during his tenure. Maybe just the nadir of the cycle, a natural consequence of economics, deployment changes and enthusiasm ebb and flow...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #25
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKim View Post
...I've noticed, not that there's anything wrong with this, but there are a lot of bombs going back and forth between members of the forum. I'm positive all these bombs are well deserved by the recipents. I know it's all great fun, because I've sent and received my share.

I'm not trying to make any feel obligated or feel any sense of guilt, but when I have some cigars to spare, the troops come to mind first for me. But that's just me.
This is a great point Ji, and has been discussed in private but not mentioned publicly for fear of offending folks, but I'm glad you brought it up. It's not so much individual bombings as those are fun and a good excuse to gift some sticks. IMO it's more the mass bombings that produce a lot of sticks that make me (and others) think how nice it would be to send a bunch of sticks like that to the troops.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
I try to help when I can... just wish I could do more
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have to admit that my participation for the troops has dwindled as of the past few months. I do have a package committed on a personal request that will go out soon.

I've noticed, not that there's anything wrong with this, but there are a lot of bombs going back and forth between members of the forum. I'm positive all these bombs are well deserved by the recipents. I know it's all great fun, because I've sent and received my share.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

I support the troops through my local B&M who is extremely active in the effort. Since the war has started they have shipped thousands of cigars, receive thank you letters weekly, and proudly display pictures and flags from the troops from all over the globe.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Ji you make a good point here...and I am only speaking for myself here but many of the bombs that have been going on recently..to my knowledge have been from BOTLs that donate to the troops. How much do they donate...I have no idea but I know personally I throw a box together 1-2 times a quarter for Fred. I concur that we could prob give more but we do what we can with what we have.

Now that you have accidentally made me feel guilty I'll be sending another box Fred's way.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

As far as the economy goes- believe me when I say this- the troops are just as pleased with $20 bundles as they are premiums. Just the fact that you take the time to send some smokes makes a great difference to the troops. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money. (Been there )

Aint that the truth! dog rockets no, but premiums are not needed. Something a large group of people who don't smoke every day can enjoy is all!

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps another contest or raffle would help grease the wheels?

I'd be glad to chip in for a prize package.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #32
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

I think this is a good way to open a discussion on this matter. I know Fred is the face of Troops Support on this site, and I just quietly follow his lead.
I don't have the skills that he does putting these raffles, Pale Horse platoon and such together.
I have been putting your donations to work and shipping boxes out on a regular basis.
That is until now. Early this week I shipped two boxes out. One to Alex and one to jbirdsaway ( Scott). These boxes zapped the last of my inventory and
funds. I will still continue to do what I can for these guys but without an
influx of donations the shipments (both cigars and money to buy comfort items )will slow down considerably.
I understand the way the economy has hurt these efforts, but Ji and other make good points on how maybe we can regenerate some energy into this project.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
ChasDen

Fred,

I have been meaning to write you in private for a few weeks but gotten busy with life. I deal with the general public on a daily basis as part of my business. I think we as a group here are a fair representation of the general public which I deal with. As a whole I think 3 factors are contributing to your concerns.

1) The economy. We all know the pinch that has created, but yet many people are finding ways to be creative with their budgets and trimming where needed. Gifts are often one of the first things cut back.

2) The general mood. The mood of many people is the world is ending and its going to get worse before it gets better. This causes normally intelligent people to do irrational things out of fear. People in this state of mind may find themselves in the exact same financial place as they were a year ago but are acting like they took a 40% pay cut this year. These fears are causing them to horde or protect their wealth that they would otherwise be spreading.

3) The war is over and the troops are coming home. Many people I talk to are of the belief, justified or not, that this presidency is going to put an immediate end to the war and bring the troops home. If thats true, why send thousands of cigars overseas? If it’s not true how long will they be there? Should I take a chance sending cigars to Iraq just to have them go to waste?

I admit my participation has fallen off since last year for a little bit of all the reasons listed above. Until I read your post I never thought about it but subconsciously I fall into all the above categories. 1) My hours at work got cut so I make a little less than I did before, that makes me think about where and how I spend my money. 2) My mood is not 50% full but the glass is 50% empty right now. Although my hours got cut I found a way to supplement my income making trays. In the long run I am probably breaking even financially where I was at this time last year but I am working harder to get it and my mood has caused me to save a little more and pay off some debt I would have easily carried before. 3) How long are the troops going to be there? Is the build up over? Will the need we had at this time last year still be there this time next year?

All this being said, I feel it’s time I get you a package

Sincerely,
Chuck
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #34
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Sorry Fred,

I'm one of the guilty ones. Used to send bunches in various ways, but I'm in real estate business, and my income is 25% (and less) of what it was 2 years ago. Just don't have the disposable income I once had. And, pretty much weaned my collection down last year giving from collection as opposed to buying for donations.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #35
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Got a box out within the last month, trying to put another one together. I will be out of town for awhile and will return in Apr. Should get enough stuff put together through the shop. Would like to be able to do more.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #36
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Working as a Dept Of State contractor in Iraq. I hand out cee-gars to the soldiers all the time. We smoke everyday at 1530 in our camp. Good times, great guys.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #37
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

I have 5 large boxes going out tomorrow, I think mostly it's economics ...
I always stressed to people to go for Quantity over Quality simply because having been in this type of situation many years ago I know how great that "Little bit of Home" is And we want to give it to as many as possible.
But with times what they are it's getting tough.