Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #41
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
Andy #2 - DPG Blue Label
The missing label does make a difference, huh? I just associate Pepin bands with full-bodied sticks. I do usually detect sweetness from the DPG Blue, but usually more pepper along with it. I guess some of the pepper and strength I usually associate with Pepin are just in my head sometimes (b/c I'm expecting it to be there). I'm not as surprised as Mark was with his DPG Blue. I liked the one I smoked.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #42
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

CIGAR #4

Another robusto sized smoke with a medium brown wrapper. Heavy in the hand and well constructed. Draw is a little tight but not bad. When I clipped the cap it popped right off and flew into the trash. I love when that happens.

Pre-light draw is tobacco and a bit of hay.

First few draws are sweet tobacco with hay on the finish. The aroma coming from the foot is unpleasant. The kind of smell that would make people around you complain.

About 1" in...flavor is grass and hay with a bitter, chemical-like finish. I will give it another few draws before I throw in the towel.

Blech.

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #43
EEE

Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #44
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Nice job so far Mark....Andy, Andy Andy....

This thread is great!
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #45
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.

borndead1: 4
EEE: 0

Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #46
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post

LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #47
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Cigar #3

Construction: 5x54 natural, very thin wrapper. Very loosely rolled. A cheap quality cigar by looks alone.

Pre-light: tastes bitter

1st Third: Starts out very harsh with a grassy flavor. Very harsh through the nose. A slight sweetness is detected when exhaling from the mouth, but harshness through the nose. Mildewy flavors appear. If I weren't a "nose smoker", this cigar wouldn't be that bad, but I do not like it so far.

2nd Third: Hay and grass appear. Sweetness is very faint. Still harsh through the nose. The draw is very loose adn smokes fast (not necessarily a bad quality in my book). Sweet flavor returns near the end of the 2nd third; the harshness begins to mellow. I'm finally enjoying the cigar (at this point). If I wasn't writing a review, I would not have waited this long for the cigar to mellow out. Still a bit grassy and hay, but not bad at this point.

Final Third: The harshness returns. Grassiness continues. Sweetness is gone. I put it out with an inch left unsmoked.

Final Thoughts: The end of the second third was good, but I normally wouldn't suffer through a harsh stick like this just to hit the "sweet spot". I wasn't a fan of this cigar, and would guess that it was a Reyes product.

Insert quote here.

Last edited by Starscream; 07-22-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #48
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post

Quote:
LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success.
I'm not really keeping score on this one. I'm just trying to be open minded to Reyes sticks. I kind of hope I find a PI product that I like, but I am doubtful so far.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #49
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:

HA! That DPG was a fake.

Did you get it from a guy whose cousin works at the factory?

AND...at least I knew it wasn't a PI
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #50
EEE

I'm not keeping score. Just having some fun and seeing how this all turns out.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #51
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #3

Construction: 5x54 natural, very thin wrapper. Very loosely rolled. A cheap quality cigar by looks alone.

Pre-light: tastes bitter

1st Third: Starts out very harsh with a grassy flavor. Very harsh through the nose. A slight sweetness is detected when exhaling from the mouth, but harshness through the nose. Mildewy flavors appear. If I weren't a "nose smoker", this cigar wouldn't be that bad, but I do not like it so far.

2nd Third: Hay and grass appear. Sweetness is very faint. Still harsh through the nose. The draw is very loose adn smokes fast (not necessarily a bad quality in my book). Sweet flavor returns near the end of the 2nd third; the harshness begins to mellow. I'm finally enjoying the cigar (at this point). If I wasn't writing a review, I would not have waited this long for the cigar to mellow out. Still a bit grassy and hay, but not bad at this point.

Final Third: The harshness returns. Grassiness continues. Sweetness is gone. I put it out with an inch left unsmoked.

Final Thoughts: The end of the second third was good, but I normally wouldn't suffer through a harsh stick like this just to hit the "sweet spot". I wasn't a fan of this cigar, and would guess that it was a Reyes product.
Quote:
I'm not keeping score. Just having some fun and seeing how this all turns out.
Anxiously awaiting to find out what this stick was...

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #52
EEE

Andy #3 - Reyes Family Classic
Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #53
EEE

My responses are delayed sometimes as I'm traveling and using the blackberry to check in here. lol
Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #54
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
My responses are delayed sometimes as I'm traveling and using the blackberry to check in here. lol
No worries. Look over my impatience.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #55
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Andy #3 - Reyes Family Classic
So far I'm still not a fan of Reyes cigars. Still keeping an open mind though.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #56
EEE

so far, you've smoked 3 of the same cigar - just different "brand" names.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #57
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #4

Construction: 5x50 dark brown maduro wrapper, solid stick, overall nice appearance

Pre-Light Draw: coffee flavor, nice smooth draw

1st Third: I taste chocolate after the first few puffs. The draw may be a little too wide/loose, but I can adapt to that. Very slight hints of pepper. For the most part this cigar is sweet and smooth. A medium-full bodied smoke. I am enjoying this cigar.

2nd Third: Still enjoying this stick. Sweetness with a little earthiness combine for a nice experience. The burn is a little crooked; I had to touch it up twice so far. The burn does not detract from my enjoyment.

Final Third: Earthiness is more dominant. I'm not a fan of earthy flavor (Ghurka), but it's working for me with this cigar. The burn is still not very even, requiring touchups, but it's still not to the point of detracting from my overall enjoyment. With about an inch left, the stick got too hot and I had to put it down. I wish it could have lasted longer.

Final Thoughts: I liked this cigar. It's the best of the bunch so far. This is not a Reyes product.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #58
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Note: I won't be writing any more reviews until Saturday. I am going out of town on a camping trip with two of my kids and will not have internet access. I'll get back to reviewing as soon as I get back. Sorry for the inconvenience. I look forward to getting back to doing the rest of the reviews, both here and the blind reviews for Scott (MCS). This is fun!

Insert quote here.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #59
EEE

Andy #4 - Cuba Aliados - corojo - dbl maduro (Reyes)

This is a step in the right direction.

To make note of my reply last night regarding smoking the same sticks. For all intents the Puros Indios nat and Reyes Family Classic nat are the same cigar.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #60
borndead1

Partagas

CIGAR #5

A robusto with a maduro wrapper. The cigar has weight, but the draw is loose.

First few draws are a musty tobacco flavor. The flavor soon gets a bit better though, showing fairly typical maduro flavors of coffee and unsweetened cocoa. Burn is a bit crooked. So far, not a bad smoke.

About 1" in...the burn is getting pretty annoying, as is the loose draw. It makes getting a good mouthful of smoke difficult. The flavor is slowly becoming less pleasant. The draw and initial nose exhale are still OK, but the finish is taking on sort of a spoiled milk flavor and leaves a bitter aftertaste.

This one is gonna be tough to call.

About halfway...the smoke is burning a bit on the nose exhale, and the sour flavor on the finish has intensified. I'm gonna go ahead and call it just based on the familiar flavor of the finish.

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.