Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Bad Finger

Post Cuba Libre One Robusto - Review

Someone asked on about this stick in a recent thread, so I thought I'd pull one out and give it the once over for the community. This is my go to daily. Hands down one of the best cheap smokes I've found. This is also my first SA.com review so please go easy on me! lol

Cigar: Cuba Libre One by Nestor Plasencia Jr.

Size: Robusto (5x52)

Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan and Honduran ligero long leaf

Binder: Two Habano binders, one from Costa Rica and the other from Nicaragua

Wrapper: Cuban-seed Habano ligero wrapper

Price: Box of 20/ $49.99 @ cigar.com or $59.99 @ CI.com

Pre-Light:

The stick is super rich in color and in oil coverage. Very heavy in the hand, and is very firm. The band is attractive, but understated in blue and silver. The wrapper smells of sweet honey suckle and tobacco. The foot aroma is of freshly cut hay and earth.

Toast: 1:40pm

Lighting: The first three puffs are of very dry tobacco with a very faint spice. The tobacco flavor is close to a Saint Luis Rey in character, but these flavors quickly give way to a much more intesnse espresso note in the 5-10 puffs. More spice begins to build as does a hint of wood. Unlike sticks like Cain and other full flavor spicy smokes, this one you only feel the spice on the sides of the tongue and in the back of the throat. It is a very nice warming sensation.

1/3rd: Hints of raisin and dry cocoa start to pop their heads in here and there, but neither make themselves very known. The puff that you get in between the two is the best flavor of all. It's like you just finished off a spicy meal, and are now having raisin bread with a chocolate powder coating. Very yummy. Not as raisiny as say an AF Anejo, but its there for sure. The spice is starting to make it's way up front now. 1 in of ash holding on tight. Sweetness picks up now, as does a caramel finish on the retro hale. Spice is still kicking, but its now a tasty sweet and spicy COMBO! This cigar produces large clouds of smoke. For how tightly it is rolled, it draws absolutely perfect.
Slightly angular burn, but nothing to worry about. Here comes more spice. Now we are getting somewhere! The flavors are now very Liga Privada-esque at this point in my opinion. Very prominant sweet leather, cedar, loads of smokey spice, and huge clouds of smoke.

2/3rd: I tap the ash at the 2 in mark as to not make a mess. Starting to get a bead of sweat on my upper lip from the spice/nicotine combo. This is a bomb. I'm at nearly the halfway point but the flavors are just continuing to build and become more layered and complex unlike other stogies I've had where the flavors fade in and out. Leather is becoming much more noticeable, as the chocolate has finally subsided for the time being. The raisin flavor has popped its head back in at what looks to be the 50% mark.

*wipes the sweat from his lip and nose*

Final 3rd: The body of the smoke has picked up considerably. I'm having to rest the smoke in between puffs for about a minute just to keep from getting a nic OD! This smoke is not for the faint of heart. The burn has self corrected to even, and is still drawing perfectly. Getting that nico-knot in my throat. I'll know if I need to grab the sugar if I start getting the hiccups. LOL

Flavors are still in the same range they were from the 50% mark. A chewy, complex blend of leather, wood, loads of spice, and a hint of raisin. back of the tongue is getting some cinnamon spice. Just about done with the stick, and the clock says 2:51. Not bad on time.

Overall Thoughts: One of the best bang for the buck found ANYWHERE. I would happily pay $150 a box for these cigars, but fortunately we don't have to. Would I buy again? As soon as I'm out (just got a box of toro's and a box of robusto's).

Wish I could add more pics, but I'm limited to 5.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuba Libre One Robusto - Review

Nice review...might have to give these a go.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Very nice review. I have to pick some of these guys up!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that great review... I always wondered about these...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
ronzorelli

Very nice. A beautiful cigar, and sounds like it's going to be on my rotation list.

Excellent review. Very detailed.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Thanks Clancy, great review and pics!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review and great pix. Excellent first review Clancy and hope to see many more My CLO robusto's are still resting at this time...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for the review and great pix. Excellent first review Clancy and hope to see many more My CLO robusto's are still resting at this time...
The exact reason I bought two boxes. I bit when they started offering a 8 CL sampler for $5 with each box purchase. I got 8 of the originals (haven't tried them yet) and 8 CLO's. So all in all, I got 56 Cuba Libre's for $129 plus shipping.

Not bad at all!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Very Nice Review & Pics. , Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I enjoy the Cuba Libre originals. As stated a good cheap cigar, without the cheap cigar taste. I have yet to try the One though, now I think I'll have to. Great review!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Bad Finger

I happened to smoke one of the Cuba Libre originals today while working in the yard. Let me say, it doesn't even compare to the CLO. I think I'll be giving those away as well... lol
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I had a bad experience with my first one of these, got a couple left so I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the review.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

I love Plasencia cigars..I can't wait to try these
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Smoked the 3rd out of a 10 pack I purchased in the Robusto size. I can't get enough of this cigar! Complex and cheap. Gotta love the flavors of spice, sweetness and cocoa. Great price and great cigar.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Just smoked my first of the CL Ones. Very good. I agree Danny, the spice and sweetness combo was wonderful. Will keep these in rotation of goto smokes!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

That settles it...payday, I'm picking some of these up.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #18
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
I happened to smoke one of the Cuba Libre originals today while working in the yard. Let me say, it doesn't even compare to the CLO. I think I'll be giving those away as well... lol
Good to know. I hated the Cuba Libre I smoked. I'll have to try the CLO, sounds good to me.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #19
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
Smoked the 3rd out of a 10 pack I purchased in the Robusto size. I can't get enough of this cigar! Complex and cheap. Gotta love the flavors of spice, sweetness and cocoa. Great price and great cigar.
I scored a box of Belis on C-Bid and have been smoking them at an alarming rate...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #20
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Great review! Thank you. Nice pics, as well.
I'm a fan of these. Started picking them up as golfing/fishing cigars, but they warrant a little more attention than those activities allow. Been averaging around $2 per on cbid. Great value stick. Placencia has his name on a host of underrated cigars.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote