Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default The Great White Hunter?

So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Gerat White Hunter?

Muskrats-groundsquirells 4

Tim 0

hahahahah
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

That story is hilarious! I have faith that you will eventually get revenge!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
So, I live on the 14th hole of my local golf club which has a large water hazard bordering 2 holes. While a great place to collect balls, in the last year or so, the banks have begun caving in many different places. Muskrats are the cause, and I am (or thought I was) the solution. The first couple of times I saw them swimming out there, I took the only weapon I had which was a pellet gun. They are some tough skinned bastages and all they'd do was give me a WTF look after plunking them. So I wised up and borrowed the BIL .22. Managed to get a couple of the critters last year while they were cavorting on the ice just before it all melted. Problem solved for all of last year.

This year, I've seen another (and the guy who sets the tees in the morning says he's seen two). I've gotten one shot off at one of them from about 80 yards when he presented me with the tiny target of himself swimming and I haven't seen them since (except about an hour after the first shot after I'd replaced the gun with a ball retriever, at which time I'm sure the bastage just smirked at me). Alright, I'll be persistant and get the bastages sometime later this year (I hope).

So this morning, I noticed a couple holes in the lawn heading under the deck which I recognize as ground squirrel burrows (kind of a cross between a small rat, squirrel, mole, chipmunk). I've had success with them in the past with mouse and rat traps, so I set up a rat trap with some thistle seed. Check the traps and an hour later the seed is gone and the trap is not sprung. I assume the critter is either too small to trip the rat trap and just licked the damn seed off. I wised up and placed some peanut butter and thistle seed to the rat trap, and being the smart guy I am, also set a much smaller mouse trap with the same concoction. Bastages can't outsmart an intelligent guy like me.

Not an hour later, I check the rat trap and nothing, still set and waiting. I decide to scope out the mouse trap, and the sum***** is gone. I know it won't fit down the burrow hole, but I can't locate the damn thing anywhere.

So I've now got some muskrats that have no respect for my hunting abilities and one p.o.-ed ground squirrel I am sure is planning his vengeance.

I am so screwed.
Reruns of Caddy Shack are playing in my mind.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
It's playing live in my backyard!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Kwilkinson

This cracked me up.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
You got a cheap scope on the .22 Tim, if not it may improve your odds.
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Got any dynamite?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Great White Hunter?

Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Tim, you want to borrow Mocha for a week?

(for those who do not know, Mocha is our dog - and we live appr. 4 miles from Tim)
Is Mocha a mouser? I don't need a retriever.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
It does have a scope and I was certain I hit the critter, but probably not a kill shot. Got a "skrat call" you could teach me?
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Here skrat skrat skrat, here skrat skrat skrat Maybe an upgrade to a .22 mag. would do the trick
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though.

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
ahc4353

Tim's theme song.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Tim's theme song.
Thanks, Al. Now they got names.

That'll make it harder to end their whirling and twirling with my muzzle (NOT)!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas

Quote:
I'll try that call. Not real confident, though.

.22 hollow points will do the trick, if the bastages ever show!
Headshots enough said!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
ahc4353

Quote:
Headshots enough said!
You ASSUME he can shoot.