Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-03-2023, 05:32 PM   #5381
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Got the smoker ready and rolling. Let the 4th of July BBQ commence
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:10 AM   #5382
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Watched a video recently for a butterflied pulled pork butt. Increases the amount of seasoning and bark. Going to try it this Friday.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:06 AM   #5383
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Watched a video recently for a butterflied pulled pork butt. Increases the amount of seasoning and bark. Going to try it this Friday.
I do something similar all the time. I cut the butt into 2-3" chunks. You do have to watch for it drying out more quickly (unsurprisingly), but other than that it works well.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #5384
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I do something similar all the time. I cut the butt into 2-3" chunks. You do have to watch for it drying out more quickly (unsurprisingly), but other than that it works well.
The vid I watched, Hey Grill Hey, she thought the same might happen with the butterfly. But it came out still nice and moist. She did foil wrap for the last couple hours.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #5385
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
The vid I watched, Hey Grill Hey, she thought the same might happen with the butterfly. But it came out still nice and moist. She did foil wrap for the last couple hours.
I just watched one of her videos, it fits your decription. Looks good.

I think the difference here is that she was butterflying and I'm cutting into big cubes/chunks with more surface area per weigh. That alone could do it. My cook temps vary, if I'm in a rusn, they could go 325-365. Hers was more textbook at 275. I foil too, but less scientific on the temp & time.

Like to hear how it turns out for you.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #5386
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Just pulled off the smoker. Smells amazing! Didn’t get as dark of bark as I expected, but could be due to many factors (ambient temp, pellet smoker, pellets used). Letting it rest and cool down before pulling. Took about 6-7 hours. Ran at 225° for ~5 hours, high smoke. Then foiled once it pushed thru the stall, increased temp to 275°. Glazed at 198° IT, for another 20 minutes to tack up.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:01 PM   #5387
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Looks damned good!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:31 PM   #5388
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Looks damned good!
Thanks. Probably the best pulled pork I’ve made. Definitely in recent memory. The glaze almost gives it a cherry taste, not maple/bourbon.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:49 PM   #5389
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
The glaze almost gives it a cherry taste, not maple/bourbon.
Interesting. I don't work with glazes much, and I typically serve dry with wet on the side but going to have to try that.

BTW, do you remember how long ago it was you posted the W00t sale for the Champ Chef pellet grills that we both bought?
Old 12-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #5390
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

Two pork belly in smoker. Doing pork belly burnt ends for coffee and cigars at the shop tomorrow

Have my own rub on them for the smoke then I will cut and add land o lakes butter and blues hog on one and blues hog champion and Kerry gold butter on the other

Going to see the difference

One of the other guys at the shop is bringing tortillas and the rest of the items to make burritos if they don’t just want the burnt ends.

Finishing breakfast off with chocolate cupcakes

Happy holiday breakfast
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:07 AM   #5391
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Interesting. I don't work with glazes much, and I typically serve dry with wet on the side but going to have to try that.

BTW, do you remember how long ago it was you posted the W00t sale for the Champ Chef pellet grills that we both bought?
I forgot you bought one too. May 4th, 2015. Had to look it up in my history. Still going strong. Is yours still working?
Old 12-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #5392
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I forgot you bought one too. May 4th, 2015. Had to look it up in my history. Still going strong. Is yours still working?
8-1/2 years... time flies.

Mine is still running, on its second controller. I wore out the first one. Lol. Curreny moving it to ready reserve though. I liked the features on the new-ish Gen 2 units with the programmable controller, ash cleanout & sliding flame diffuser baffle, etc. Found the "slide & grill" 24 at Dicks sporting goods on sale for $415 (reg $699) so I grabbed a new one
Old 12-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #5393
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
8-1/2 years... time flies.

Mine is still running, on its second controller. I wore out the first one. Lol. Curreny moving it to ready reserve though. I liked the features on the new-ish Gen 2 units with the programmable controller, ash cleanout & sliding flame diffuser baffle, etc. Found the "slide & grill" 24 at Dicks sporting goods on sale for $415 (reg $699) so I grabbed a new one
I haven’t used mine enough to wear out the controller. 6-8 cooks a year. I almost replaced it with a Yoder YS640 a few years back. But decided to quit my job instead. Lol! Those Gen 2 units are nice, sounds like you snagged a good one. Tried talking my friend into one, but he’s always motivated by price first. I think he bought a Nexrill smoker.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:28 PM   #5394
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I run mine a lot. Besides 2-3 bbq cooks a week i basically run it in place of my kitchen oven. Pellets are way cheaper than electricity where I live. The controller electronics are still fine, I just wore most of the detents out of the dial selector. So it would fall after you set it. Most of the time ot would end up between temps and not run and cause a burn back through the auger tube.

My brother has a Yoder. They are nice.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #5395
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I run mine a lot. Besides 2-3 bbq cooks a week i basically run it in place of my kitchen oven. Pellets are way cheaper than electricity where I live. The controller electronics are still fine, I just wore most of the detents out of the dial selector. So it would fall after you set it. Most of the time ot would end up between temps and not run and cause a burn back through the auger tube.

My brother has a Yoder. They are nice.
Dang, 2-3 times a week. Nice. Did you do any mods to your smoker? Looking to get more smoke flavor if possible. I know you can always do a smoke tube, but wondering if something like a gasket on the lid would be worth it.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:05 PM   #5396
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Smoking a chuck roast for Pulled Beef Sammies...