Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earthy Coffee?

I love Tanzanian Peaberry, but I always split it 50/50 with Yirgacheffe to bring up the "earthiness" and fill out the body a bit.
I've been drinking that blend for 6 or 7 years now.

I'd like to find something a bit more "earthy" than the Yirgacheff.
Light roast, lots of body, medium acid would be perfect. Even a medium roast might work, but that kind of overpowers the Peaberry.

When I say ""Earthy", think cowboy coffee or something like Tim Horton's, if Horton's weren't so darkly roasted.
Earthy like soil or dirt is what I'm after. Really.
I've thought of just throwing dirt in the basket with the Peaberry, but Weeze wouldn't drink it.

I'd just like to tweak the blend and take it up a notch.
Maybe I need to add a couple different beans to the Peaberry?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Earthy Coffee?

So if it was fresh ground in the morning, would that be earthy enough for you?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Hah!!! I get it!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Have you tried adding chicory?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

From the site http://www.gourmetcoffeelovers.com/d...offee-tasting/

"EARTHY—Musty taste or aroma, like moist black earth or soil, cellar-like, mushroomy. May or may not be desirable. Indonesian gourmet coffees typically have a spicy, earthy flavor."

The question piqued my interest because I remember somebody on the boards having a recurring contest to see who could roast Yirgacheffe beans to have a lemon flavor and I never associated that bean with earthy. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Never tried chicory, Mark. I don't even know what it is, but I'll find out...
Huh. I immediately recognized it. It grows along the road everywhere in PA. I have tons of pics of it, I love the flowers. I always called it "them blue flowers that come out in August".

Greg, I'll look at Indonesian beans.
Yes, Yirgacheff is supposed to be lemony. I don't get that at all. I think you have to roast it darker than the stuff I buy. I get it so light that it's dry, nearly zero oil.
The Peaberry is a little darker and I get a little oil from it.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

They say I want Sumatra Mandheling. I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

This reminded me about an email reply I had from Garry at Burman coffee. I had ordered some Indonesian beans from him, which he mentions an earthy taste. I actually found it had a butterscotch flavor when I roasted it.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

So, I ordered 5 lbs of Peaberry, 5 lbs of Sumatra Mandheling, and 1 lb of Dark Sumatra Mandheling.
I think the dark will work better than the light roast, but I didn't want to get carried off. I like a light roast because the dark always tastes bitter to me. I'm super-sensitive to bitters and have to put salt in almost any coffee but my own.

I'll try the 2 blends and see how it goes.
I should have gotten some Yirgacheffe, too. Maybe mix 3 or 4 for my blend.

That'll give me something to obsess about later.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Kendalltbt
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Kendalltbt is on a distinguished road

I have tested coffee with chicory. I love the taste of it.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

It's been a year and a half, Scott, try any of it yet?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #13
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

If you don't like bitter, I am not sure you would care for chicory as it has a distinct bitterness to its flavor but as in all things, it's your palate and who knows, you might like it. I don't particularly care for it myself but it was pretty popular circa 2000 in the South and still may be, I am ignorant on that as I don't spend much time in the South lately.

I can tell you, you'll either love chicory or not care for it as it's very distinctive. Interestingly enough, chicory got a resurgence back in the 80's and it was quite popular in the US. It kind of faded out after 2000 and I don't hear of it much these days.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #14
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Chicory is a traditional addition in New Orleans. Community Coffee has some blends with it.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Yup, New Orleans is the only place I've had chicory. I enjoyed it, kind of like drinking a Bolivar.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote