Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Freezing Cigars For Beetles? What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I don't freeze anything, but I only buy Cuban. I will quarantine custom rolls, but supposedly Cuba has been freezing production cigars for quite some time. I do make sure the temps in my house never get above 70*F. And I've never had a beetle (knocks on wood).
Most NC cigars are frozen also. Either by the manufacturer, importer and even some of the large retailers (IIRC, JR cigars has their own shipping container sized blast freezer).

If it doesn't hurt anything, why take the chance? Unless of course you need all that room in the freezer for your gummy bear & bacon macchiato ice cream.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #22
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't freeze anything, but I only buy Cuban. I will quarantine custom rolls, but supposedly Cuba has been freezing production cigars for quite some time. I do make sure the temps in my house never get above 70*F. And I've never had a beetle (knocks on wood).
I'm with the Admiral on this one. Most of what I buy is also Cuban, but I don't think any major manufacturer today lets stuff out of their warehouse without taking some preventive steps. And it's been quite a while since I've heard first hand of anyone having a beetle problem. I think it happened more in the past, though that's not to say it still can't happen.

I've purchased and smoked thousands of cigars and have yet to have a problem. Maybe I was born under a lucky star. Or maybe I don't freeze 'em because every time my wife sees an empty spot in the freezer she stuffs something into it and I couldn't fit a cigar in anyway. And we can't leave conservation of energy (aka laziness) out of the equation.

Also, like many here I have a temperature controlled cabinet that keeps them as cool as I want/need. So I invest my time worrying about important stuff, like alien invasions or how the Knights are doing in the playoffs.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If it doesn't hurt anything, why take the chance? Unless of course you need all that room in the freezer for your gummy bear & bacon macchiato ice cream.
I could say, "if it isn't necessary, why waste the time?". But if it gives people peace of mind, then I say go for it.

No gummy bear ice cream in my freezer, just some Jeffrey Dahmer frozen dinners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I'm with the Admiral on this one. Most of what I buy is also Cuban, but I don't think any major manufacturer today lets stuff out of their warehouse without taking some preventive steps. And it's been quite a while since I've heard first hand of anyone having a beetle problem. I think it happened more in the past, though that's not to say it still can't happen.

I've purchased and smoked thousands of cigars and have yet to have a problem. Maybe I was born under a lucky star. Or maybe I don't freeze 'em because every time my wife sees an empty spot in the freezer she stuffs something into it and I couldn't fit a cigar in anyway. And we can't leave conservation of energy (aka laziness) out of the equation.

Also, like many here I have a temperature controlled cabinet that keeps them as cool as I want/need. So I invest my time worrying about important stuff, like alien invasions or how the Knights are doing in the playoffs.
Pretty damn good last night, Bill.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
No gummy bear ice cream in my freezer, just some Jeffrey Dahmer frozen dinners.
Of course. The Paleo diet. I forgot.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #25
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I could say, "if it isn't necessary, why waste the time?".
On a serious note, while the manufacturer might freeze, they are freezing in a climate and region where the beetles are prevalent, and the cigars or their packaging can be contaminated after the process is completed. Tobacco beetles don't just eat tobacco, they will eat the cardboard shipping boxes, paper, coffee, etc. Then there is the vendor storage facility, where again the possibility of re-exposure exists if beetles were accidentally introduced to this environment in the past. While these places do take steps to minimize the chances of re-infections by the use of pesticides and pheromone traps or even re-freezing in some cases, the possibility still exists.

So, yeah, for me, I feel it's worth the effort.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Of course. The Paleo diet. I forgot.
Low carbs, high eyeballs.

Quote:
So, yeah, for me, I feel it's worth the effort.
And I totally understand, and am not trying to sway anyone to my way of doing things. Just throwing my (lack of) process out there, to each whatever helps him sleep at night. You raise many valid points.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #27
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Same here, and I always opt for the nitrogen packing 'cause I figure the little f'ers can't hold their breath for the time it takes them to fly here.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #28
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I have had a couple run ins with beetles in 35 years of cigars. Both recently, both with Cubans, and different suppliers That being said I do throw mine in the freezer overnight when I get them but I think its more of a comfort thing than anything else. Besides the wife never looks in the freezer so when I move them to the humidor I can honestly say "no I did not get these today"
Old 05-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
I have had a couple run ins with beetles in 35 years of cigars. Both recently, both with Cubans, and different suppliers That being said I do throw mine in the freezer overnight when I get them but I think its more of a comfort thing than anything else. Besides the wife never looks in the freezer so when I move them to the humidor I can honestly say "no I did not get these today"

Old 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #30
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I freeze everything because I never want to smoke a Festival Mareva recorder. I nearly pooped myself when I pulled this stick from the box a bunch of years ago.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #31
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Same here, and I always opt for the nitrogen packing 'cause I figure the little f'ers can't hold their breath for the time it takes them to fly here.
Oh contre' there Normy, modern scientist have found that insects can hold their breath for days at a time as too much oxygen can actually kill them.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #32
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road

Well I think that me leaving them in the freezer for 7-8 days is doing them justice. I've heard all types of methods and reasoning online. heard that freezing them doesn't have a 100% mortality rate either so it's kind of hard to figure out what to do. So to be safe I left them in there for 8 days and will be taking them out tomorrow. Safest bet was for me to not skimp and buy beads and make sure my humidity levels don't fluctuate.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #33
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

7-8 days is good. I’ve forgotten that I’ve put some in the freezer for almost a month. Good double bagging, make sure the air is pulled out. Bags are always still tight around the boxes or sticks when I found them.

Did it hurt the sticks, dunno, I have the pallet of an old billy goat.
bonjing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #34
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Don't disparage yourself, Greg, it's much closer to a young billy goat's.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #35
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
7-8 days is good. I’ve forgotten that I’ve put some in the freezer for almost a month. Good double bagging, make sure the air is pulled out. Bags are always still tight around the boxes or sticks when I found them.

Yea I just pulled them out... Still had a great seal. When I put them in I pulled all the air out and triple bagged them so I didn't have to deal with freezer burn or some ****. Better safe then sorry.