Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Steak Tartare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Other recipes I have seen use the raw egg topper as well. I wonder what spices they used in the meat. I'll have to look that one up.
Ususally a quail egg as it's just the yoke and you don't want a big yoke on there.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #22
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:

I like a thick cut steak and rare (haven't tried blue yet), so eating raw minced meat wasn't much of a stretch. Like I said above, I had this once before and it was very tasty.
I don't ask for blue when I am out at restaurants but at home it is how I cook all my steaks for myself. Take a nice thick steak, usually a fillet, sear it quickly on both sides and done.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #23
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Ian, you get the piece of meat, cut it up really small, then form it into a patty. Season it as you do this....

Once it's in a nice patty you place it on a plate, do the same for however many other people will be eating it. Once ready take the plate(s) to the grill and smack those puppies on there, cook till medium / medium rare, take off, and eat... you may place these on "buns" of any sort, or just eat them as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Some even serve horse.
Had it, horse sashimi....not bad! But was a little disturbing to eat. I kept picturing Mr. Ed.

And Ian, that recipe looks great! I was gonna say that you've got to have raw egg in there too just to make it that much less appealing to anyone who might want to rob you from your experience and snag a taste.

I worry a little about the raw beef & raw egg but like you, I like my steaks rare as well and well, it's just too good to not eat stuff like this!

Enjoy & tell us how it came out!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Ususally a quail egg as it's just the yoke and you don't want a big yoke on there.
Yeah, the quail yolk is also popular on uni (sea urchin) sushi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Had it, horse sashimi....not bad! But was a little disturbing to eat. I kept picturing Mr. Ed.
It was interesting, a lot leaner than beef, similar to venison. A friend of mine (who raises horses) turned it down, saying he couldn't look his horses in the eye if he tried it.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #25
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I don't ask for blue when I am out at restaurants but at home it is how I cook all my steaks for myself. Take a nice thick steak, usually a fillet, sear it quickly on both sides and done.
You know, this reminds me...I have the hardest damned time ordering steaks properly in restaurants. You go to Outback Steakhouse/Fleming's and you ask them Aussie's for a rare steak, it comes to you freakin' cold inside. If I wanted it cold, I would have ordered steak tartare. So I ask for Rare Plus and then it's overcooked.

There's one steakhouse by us that does it just right...most of the time. I ask for Rare and for the most part, it comes just the way I like....red in the center (NOT pink...) and not cold, definitely warm.

Yum...I'm starving.

Anybody else go through this rare dance with me?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I usually do 3 min a side for mine, but I've recently realized I probably don't let the BBQ heat up enough before I start cooking.

I'll have to try it Blue sometime.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
mrreindeer

Quote:
Yeah, the quail yolk is also popular on uni (sea urchin) sushi.
Kill me...I'm starving...yum. Love 'em both. There's a sushi joint near us that does a 'Kamikaze Shooter'...I think that's what they call it anyway....oyster, uni, quail egg & sake. I haven't had it yet but I will. I just love uni plain for the most part but if I'm feeling like grossing out the other patrons, I'll slap that quail egg on top.

Quote:
It was interesting, a lot leaner than beef, similar to venison. A friend of mine (who raises horses) turned it down, saying he couldn't look his horses in the eye if he tried it.
Yeah, I likened it to eating cooked beef for some reason...I was 11 so what did I know but I remember it tasted (to me) like cooked steak. I'm not sure why it tasted cooked when it wasn't. Maybe because of the lean thing; makes sense it'd be more like venison, not that I had had that yet at 11 but I love it now.

Sorry to run over 'ya Ian...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #28
kayaker

Quote:
Anybody else go through this rare dance with me?
Yeah, pretty much. I don 't usually like ordering steak out because most of the time I do a better job myself.

I've had a couple of places that nailed it dead on though.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Kill me...I'm starving...yum. Love 'em both. There's a sushi joint near us that does a 'Kamikaze Shooter'...I think that's what they call it anyway....oyster, uni, quail egg & sake. I haven't had it yet but I will. I just love uni plain for the most part but if I'm feeling like grossing out the other patrons, I'll slap that quail egg on top.
The biggest thing I miss about sushi here is finding a place that does real otoro. The closest I've had is a place in Boston (Ginza, IIRC), but their otoro was really chutoro. Plus, in Japan you can try stuff like whale and flying fish that's impossible to get here.

Oops, sorry for the thread jack.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #30
kayaker

Quote:
You're talking about food, so it's good by me.

Now you've got me craving sushi.

I really need to get back to Vancouver. There's a great, all you can eat, place there.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
You're talking about food, so it's good by me.
I actually bumped the old sushi thread to avoid thread-jacking, but I'm going to subscribe to this one. Now I just have to talk the wife into trying that recipe you posted.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #32
mrreindeer

Quote:
The biggest thing I miss about sushi here is finding a place that does real otoro. The closest I've had is a place in Boston (Ginza, IIRC), but their otoro was really chutoro. Plus, in Japan you can try stuff like whale and flying fish that's impossible to get here.

WHALE?

Hey, what's the diff betweeen otoro & chutoro?

Oh, and hey, Jeff, you're close to Syracuse...you get out there ever? I've got a good friend from there so I'm asking her if she knows any good sushi joints.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #33
kayaker

Quote:
Now I just have to talk the wife into trying that recipe you posted.
You could always do the blindfold taste test.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #34
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
You could always do the blindfold taste test.
And ask her if she can guess whether it was bought online or from a B&M?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #35
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

At the butcher shop I work at we make it out of sirloin. Its probably 99% lean and its soo good with a light sprinkling of salt on top...oh yeah and it is raw.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Hardcz

You guys are so Wrong!!!

MEDIUM ALL THE WAY!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #37
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

omg... now I'm hungry... you guys have awoken my inner carnivore.

Rare (but not cold) Steaks and Sushi

I've been curious about the whole steak tartare thing for years, but have never had the guts to try. It's the raw egg that creeps me out for some reason. I'm thinking I'm more of a carpaccio girl.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
At the butcher shop I work at we make it out of sirloin. Its probably 99% lean and its soo good with a light sprinkling of salt on top...oh yeah and it is raw.
Which shop is that?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #39
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
omg... now I'm hungry... you guys have awoken my inner carnivore.

Rare (but not cold) Steaks and Sushi

I've been curious about the whole steak tartare thing for years, but have never had the guts to try. It's the raw egg that creeps me out for some reason. I'm thinking I'm more of a carpaccio girl.
It's only an egg yolk and you don't notice it mixed in with the meat. I haven't had it with the full raw egg placed on top of the mix yet, but I may give it a try sometime.

BTW I tried my recipe last week and really enjoyed it. I used tenderloin, but I will try it with sirloin another time. The guy at the meat counter first suggested that I use inside round because it was lean and cheap. When I gave him a funny look he suggested the tenderloin, which was my first choice. If he suggested strip or sirloin I would have done that, but I wasn't really interested in the round.

The recipe I used was tasty but I wonder if I should have mixed the seasonings a bit stronger than what the recipe called for. It could have been a bit more zippy/zingy.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #40
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Which shop is that?
Henry's Market just out side of Branchville on 206 north

----------------