Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
jbo57

Default Anybody Else?...Or How To Ruin A Good Cigar

I don't usually complain...really...but it seems this problem just keeps getting worse. First let me say that I really like CBid. I've gotten good deals and I really can't complain about the deals and I appreciate what they are trying to do.

That brings me to my complaint. It seems that the shipping is getting sloppy. Because of where I live I have two rules when it comes ordering from Cbid. #1 I only bid on boxes or bundles; #2 I only bid on lots that are expiring on Sunday because it takes 5 days for them to get to me. I order on Sunday, they ship on Monday, I get them on Friday. Not great, but some things you have no control over and you shouldn't be criticized for things you have no control over.

That brings me to the present. Because it was Father's Day I had a little disposable income and so I got a box of sticks that I normally wouldn't get. Not expensive, but good. So, I wait. Nothing. I get the email notice that I won...I got the email invoice...then nothing. Finally, I get a tracking number from the Cbid site and run it...nothing. Today it's Wednesday and I finally got my email telling me that UPS has taken over the process and the delivery is scheduled for Monday. This means the sticks will either be in a hot warehouse or a hot truck for two additional days.

Oh, well, I just needed to vent. This is not the first time I've struggled with them. There was another time shipping got delayed...there was the time that I won a bundle that they didn't have and had to back order, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anybody Else?...Or How To Ruin A Good Cigar

I am not sure why you would think an extra two days shipping would ruin a cigar. Also, a concrete slab warehouse has very little chance of reaching temperatures that would exceed the norm. UPS to many places takes 10-12 days, there would be a lot of bad cigars out there if this were a big problem. Just relax, let your cigars rest for a few weeks after they arrive and enjoy.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I am not sure why you would think an extra two days shipping would ruin a cigar. Also, a concrete slab warehouse has very little chance of reaching temperatures that would exceed the norm. UPS to many places takes 10-12 days, there would be a lot of bad cigars out there if this were a big problem. Just relax, let your cigars rest for a few weeks after they arrive and enjoy.
Good advice...if only I had the resources to let a cigar rest a few weeks...or even a few years...it would take away ANY complaints that I have concerning shipping. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I sympathize with the folks that takes 10-12 days. That is sad, but if it's done right...as it has been done a few times in the past...it's 5 days. Other shops in CB's area gets them here in 5 days using the same mode of transport.

I understand things that are beyond their control...like the recent floods, etc. BTW, I'm sure that what you are saying is true...however, I've actually gotten sticks off the truck that were HOT to the touch. <rant complete>

P.S. You were correct when you said it wouldn't RUIN a good cigar and I accept that. What it does is makes it less flavorful for a while.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Now the question I have is. How does the cigars get from the manufactures in Central
America??? I guess they come in by ship. I dont see that being any better that sitting in a warehouse or in a truck for a few days. Just my 2 cents.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Call customer service and request your shipping be changed to USPS. Your packages will go out USPS priority and you should have them in 2-3 days. There will be a nominal extra charge for insurance added on once you get over $100 value of the shipment, but it's really cheap. Couple bucks that's it. Considerably less than what it would cost to upgrade to UPS Blue.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Now the question I have is. How does the cigars get from the manufactures in Central
America??? I guess they come in by ship.
Yup.

And those containers aren't refrigerated either.

Top it off, if the container is full of nothing but cigars, it'll be fairly light, this means we would have loaded it high in the stack, possibly on deck in the sun. Ever been in a container that's exposed to the sun all day in the tropics? It's an oven.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

I agree with Adam on that one, if you want them early pay for the faster shipping. IMO
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Another good reason to try and stock up in the cooler months with the occasional impulse buys in the hot months. If you freeze than I wouldn't be as concerned.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Call customer service and request your shipping be changed to USPS. Your packages will go out USPS priority and you should have them in 2-3 days. There will be a nominal extra charge for insurance added on once you get over $100 value of the shipment, but it's really cheap. Couple bucks that's it. Considerably less than what it would cost to upgrade to UPS Blue.
Thanks. That sounds like a great plan. I've toyed with it before but think that's what I'll do.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo57 View Post
Thanks. That sounds like a great plan. I've toyed with it before but think that's what I'll do.

I use USPS and I usually get my shipments in 2 days once they leave their warehouse, and I'm on the other side of the country from CI/cbid.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo57 View Post
They're pretty good to deal with if you call them up. I called a while back when they started sending me stuff UPS Basic. It was annoying because we have a UPS warehouse right here in town, and they would *still* hand off to USPS, adding a day to the shipping. Of course, I'm just spoiled, because UPS Ground from CI/Famous/Holt's works out to next day in most cases.
On a side note, cbid ships pretty wet, so your sticks should be fine for an extra couple of days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Another good reason to try and stock up in the cooler months with the occasional impulse buys in the hot months. If you freeze than I wouldn't be as concerned.
Thanks Neo...make no mistake about it, I freeze the sticks I get in the summer that comes off the truck. I think my biggest complaint is that they didn't get it shipped until Tuesday. But, I'll survive. I just needed to vent.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

I use USPS and I usually get my shipments in 2 days once they leave their warehouse, and I'm on the other side of the country from CI/cbid.
That would be nice. I could live with 2 days...3 days...4 days. Like I said earlier, if the bid goes down on Sunday and they get them to UPS on Monday, I can get them on Friday. If they wait until Tuesday, I won't get them until the following Monday. To get to me it makes five stops.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Used to take them 2 days from the day the sent an invoice to my door. Now it's 4 days and they are still using USPS. I'm only one state away from them. Still better than paying catalog prices.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

unless you are paying for overnight, guaranteed delivery, you roll the dice and take your chances.

I can see you being disappointed that your norm wasn't met, but why you are getting upset and ranting here is just plain weird.

A friend just had an order from Europe arrive after 8 months in transit. Be was philosophical about it. Nice lesson, IMO.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
jbo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
unless you are paying for overnight, guaranteed delivery, you roll the dice and take your chances.

I can see you being disappointed that your norm wasn't met, but why you are getting upset and ranting here is just plain weird.

A friend just had an order from Europe arrive after 8 months in transit. Be was philosophical about it. Nice lesson, IMO.
OK, I'm sorry if I came across wrong. I'm a guy that goes back to the C.S. days where we were able to use the board as a type of "support group" for venting our frustrations and for praising the good service we received. Obviously, I have been out of touch too long. What was meant to vent and express my disappointment at having to wait an extra weekend without my sticks is seen as a rant. Was not meant to be, just needed a sympathetic ear.