Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #81
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hail To The Redskins!!

Tough loss this week. Hopefully that doesn't ruin their chances at a wildcard spot. They need a couple big wins to get some momentum going in.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #82
dcamacho

the giants are simply the better team on both sides of the football. cant do anything about it.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #83
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamacho View Post
the giants are simply the better team on both sides of the football. cant do anything about it.
Damn straight. There's no Giants thread here (I think I may be the only big Blue fan here lol), so i'll say it here.

Hail to the Giants biotches!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #84
Ron1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Damn straight. There's no Giants thread here (I think I may be the only big Blue fan here lol), so i'll say it here.

You're not the ONLY Giants fan Brother!!!!! Great game today for us NYG fans.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #85
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Well ain't that a shot in leg!!

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #86
TRicker

Quote:

Stands up to be counted with the big blue!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #87
dcamacho

depressed.

i dont know why i let this team get to me.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #88
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

I think I know what the skins need to do to get back on the winning track. Get some more former Miami Hurricanes on the roster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canesnfljn7.jpg (20.9 KB, 451 views)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #89
Stog-a-Boy
Looks like I'm back...

First Name: Evan
Bolivar
Stog-a-Boy is on a distinguished road

Its hard to win when half the team is injured/ not playing.

-Evan
Stog-a-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #90
dcamacho

^ that is very true. it just sucks
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #91
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

They have the tools, just not the strategy in my opinion. They are way too conservative on offense and the plays they choose are easily recognized by the defense before the ball is snapped. Its nice to rely on the run especially when you have someone like Portis, but he can't do everything, and when he gets shutdown, the entire team (coaches included) looks lost. They think that 7-10 points are enough to win in this league and when they have a lead, they leave everything up to their defense. Imagine how many games they would've lost over the last few years if it wasn't for their defense playing thei hearts out.

They need to have their offensive playbook completely revamped and a health offensive line. Campbell is getting hit, hurried, and sacked way too much.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #92
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Dade View Post
.... Get some more former Miami Hurricanes on the roster.
Nah....we got enough problems with injuries, we certainly don't need to be bailing guys out of jail too!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #93
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
They have the tools, just not the strategy in my opinion. They are way too conservative on offense and the plays they choose are easily recognized by the defense before the ball is snapped. Its nice to rely on the run especially when you have someone like Portis, but he can't do everything, and when he gets shutdown, the entire team (coaches included) looks lost. They think that 7-10 points are enough to win in this league and when they have a lead, they leave everything up to their defense. Imagine how many games they would've lost over the last few years if it wasn't for their defense playing thei hearts out.

They need to have their offensive playbook completely revamped and a health offensive line. Campbell is getting hit, hurried, and sacked way too much.
I believe we all got sucked in early in the season with the success that they were having early. This is a team that had some weaknesses entering the season, but when they began winning, I really started to believe that maybe Zorn was the guy to get things back on track.

Before your time, but, years ago the Skins had a running back named Larry Brown that WAS the Skins offense. Pure hard nosed runner that played hurt, destroyed his knees, would smash opponents in the mouth with his punishing runs. This is where I've seen the Skins "evolve" their offense to this year. Run the heck out of Portis and then hope to get some support from the receivers along the way. The man is being beat up, terribly and there is no solid support behind him. Betts and Campbell are tied as the second leading rushers on the team! The NFL is a league that requires teams to have two solid runners. I'm not sold totally on Jason Campbell as being the answer, but, I think he progressed a bit under Zorn. Perhaps consistency in coaching may help him....but, I'd still be shopping. Another solid receiver in hopes that the Skins could balance out their offensive attack a bit more. I agree on opening up the playbook, but only when there is solid support at the key positions. Most importantly....the O-line has got to open holes and punish the defenses. The NFC East, week end and week out faces some solid defensive lines and putting together a solid line is essential, otherwise, it doesn't matter what backfield you have.

This past weekend was a perfect opportunity with the Giants and the Boys losing! Dammit!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #94
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Nah....we got enough problems with injuries, we certainly don't need to be bailing guys out of jail too!
The Redskins best running back and wide receiver are from Miami. And what legal troubles have then been involved in?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #95
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
The Redskins best running back and wide receiver are from Miami. And what legal troubles have then been involved in?
silentjon....I don't believe I singled out moss or portis as being involved in legal problems. The attempt at HUMOR was in response to Made in Dade's comments about getting more Hurricanes on the Skins roster. In fact, I put the smiley with the cigar beside the comment. Again....HUMOR.

However, i probably don't need to provide an education on the number of present and former Miami Hurricanes that have been involved in an extensive number of off AND on field incidents. But, we could start this year with the 31 Miami and FIU players that were suspended in what has been referred to by many as the "Thug Brawl." We could go back over the years where Sports Illustrated called for the shut down, 12 years ago, for the football program to be shut down for being out of control. Some of Miami's finest have blessed the NFL---including Michael Irvin and his many off the field escapades or Ray Lewis and his murder charges, or the recruit Willie Williams whose Arrest Record was longer than his High School Transcript. The program have never been known for its virtues of cleanliness....but, I will say, Shannon has run a much cleaner program and seems to be righting the ship from its many years of bad behavior.

Again....the attempt at humor was apparently lost in the translation. Sorry you didn't get it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #96
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
silentjon....I don't believe I singled out moss or portis as being involved in legal problems. The attempt at HUMOR was in response to Made in Dade's comments about getting more Hurricanes on the Skins roster. In fact, I put the smiley with the cigar beside the comment. Again....HUMOR.

However, i probably don't need to provide an education on the number of present and former Miami Hurricanes that have been involved in an extensive number of off AND on field incidents. But, we could start this year with the 31 Miami and FIU players that were suspended in what has been referred to by many as the "Thug Brawl." We could go back over the years where Sports Illustrated called for the shut down, 12 years ago, for the football program to be shut down for being out of control. Some of Miami's finest have blessed the NFL---including Michael Irvin and his many off the field escapades or Ray Lewis and his murder charges, or the recruit Willie Williams whose Arrest Record was longer than his High School Transcript. The program have never been known for its virtues of cleanliness....but, I will say, Shannon has run a much cleaner program and seems to be righting the ship from its many years of bad behavior.

Again....the attempt at humor was apparently lost in the translation. Sorry you didn't get it.
I get it was a joke, but I still take objection towards the term thug.

1) The FIU-Miami brawl was indeed a black-eye for Miami. However, they have been other brawls in college football - Clemson and South Carolina for one.
2) Willie Williams was the number one ranked defensive recruit in 2004 and recruited by most major colleges (including Florida, Florida State and Auburn). While enrolled at Miami, he had zero legal issues. They same can't be said once he transferred.
3) Indeed, both Lewis and Irvin had their share of issues in the NFL. But maybe we should also call West Virginia Thug U for Adam Jones and Chris Henry.
4) The amounts of legal incidents at Miami have been minimal in recent time. The same can't be true for a lot of college football programs. Florida State and Penn State come to mind.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #97
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
I get it was a joke, but I still take objection towards the term thug.
I have a very good friend from high school whose sister had a "reputation" for being the go-to girl if you wanted to lose your virginity or to get a little action. My friend has felt tremendous embarassment over the years for the things that his sister did. In fact, we all kind of feel sorry for her because she has been stuck for more than 30 years with that reputation and at each reunion, inevitably someone brings her up.

A reputation, once earned, is hard to overcome. Shannon has done a decent job of keeping players under wraps the last couple years. There are a lot of great players that came out of the U that were role models for others...but, they get lost in the reputation that the U earned. Of course, anytime you have a FIU-Miami brawl, the natural tendency is to bring back past behaviors and history of schools and individuals. To be upset about the term "Thug Brawl" is an issue that you'll have to take up with the media. They coined the phrase....the rest of us just use the term. In fact, if I recall correctly, wasn't the Sportscaster that broadcast the FIU-Miami also fired for his comments supporting what was occurring on the field by the Miami players??? If I remember correctly....he was also a Miami grad.

Here in NC, Chuck Amato began building the reputation at NC State of bringing in the "thug" players with attitudes and questionable behaviors. He came out of the FSU program that often times lacked character, as well. He wanted the players to have a get in your face attitude and not back down or be intimidated by the opposing players. With all that, came the associated problems, as well...on and off the field. To have Tom O'Brien as the new coach at NC State come in and rebuild the program with discipline and hard work is a joy to watch.

But again....as much as you may want the reputation to go away, Miami earned its reputation over the years and its going to take awhile to remove the stigma associated.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #98
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

woop woop woop
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #99
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

It was nice to hear the crowd on tv during the game. That last play was beautiful.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #100
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

wooooooooooooooooooo