Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Hockey v. Baseball

Just for fun.

http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resource...are-tough.html

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hockey v. Baseball

Awesome, great read Admiral
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Very entertaining read! I remember that hit on Kariya! Ouch.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Humorous article and I did laugh, but they need to give baseball another look.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/base...l-to-the-face/
Luis Salazar loses eye

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/n...ory?id=2945798
Coolbaugh dies after being hit in head by a line drive.

http://oldschool.blogs.pressdemocrat...h-that-killed/
Ray Chapman killed by being hit by pitch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/12/sp...l/12score.html
Pitcher Herb Score loses sight after being hit by a line drive.

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/569065
Tony Conigliaro hit in face by pitch, pretty much ruined his career.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun...ts/sp-shaikin1
Steve Yeager had a splintered bat lodged in his throat, piercing his esophagus.

http://www.sportsvideodaily.com/wp/i...owing-a-pitch/
Dave Dravecky shatters his arm by throwing a pitch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ewers_pirates/
Jason Kendall breaks ankle/bone protrudes from his leg on his way to first base.

And don't forget about Randy Johnson killing a bird.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3364800

Nuff said
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I remember seeing the Clint Malarchuk incident. That's was friggin' sick!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

That's an entertaining contrast, Mr. 'Hog, and a good read. But there's being tough, and then there's being a bloody idiot.

Otherwise, call me back when the regular season in hockey actually starts to mean something . . . and starts drawing more than flies.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I first started watching hockey when I was 16 years old as I took up ice skating. I never understood how these world class/professional hockey players were lucky to make it 90 seconds in a shift on the ice. I also never understood why these guys fight all the time

I started playing hockey in a midnight league when regular skating sessions were over. I got a quick sense of the frustration experienced by hockey players with all of the bumping, poking, tripping, and beatings in just a fun league...case closed.

Sure, it's nice to be a great basketball shooter, a nice hitter in baseball, or a great passer in football, but for my money, the professional hockey player has the biggest combination of skill between skating and handling a puck on a stick than any other sport out there.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

I don't know about the players, but hockey "fans" busted up Vancouver
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySmith View Post
Nothing like destroying your own city when you win or lose a championship, seems like you should go to the other teams city to riot DUMBA$$'s
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I honestly only think the toughness of hockey players can be matched or surpassed by MMA fighters or a similar sport (boxing, wrestling, martial arts etc).
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySmith View Post
And the Bruins proudly celebrated on their ice...Go Bruins
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I remember seeing a ref fall over, and someone skating over his fingers and severing them. Gruesome. Saddest part was the crowd jeered him as he skated off with his hand in a towel dripping blood.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Great read, Tom...

I expected to see Tuomo Ruutu mentioned. His first game with the Hurricanes back in February 2008, he took a stick to the face and needed 40 stitches to close a gash that went from the brow above his left eye to his nose.

He came back in and played...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
That's an entertaining contrast, Mr. 'Hog, and a good read. But there's being tough, and then there's being a bloody idiot.

Otherwise, call me back when the regular season in hockey actually starts to mean something . . . and starts drawing more than flies.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

I like both games my son plays both. I have attended both this year. I kind of assume your joking given baseballs 162 regular game season. Talk about months of meaningless play. So many fans have been seen falling asleep at ballgames. I think when you look at attendance percentage you will see that based on most arenas seating around the 20k or less mark hockey draws consideably better then you imply. Percentage wise much better yhe BB. With 40% of teams selling out all home games and majority of teams at 90+%
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Sure, it's nice to be a great basketball shooter, a nice hitter in baseball, or a great passer in football, but for my money, the professional hockey player has the biggest combination of skill between skating and handling a puck on a stick than any other sport out there.
QFMFT.

This is the exact reason we introduced our son to hockey, in my opinion they are the most physically fit athletes in the world, and they have mad skills.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

I like both games my son plays both. I have attended both this year. I kind of assume your joking given baseballs 162 regular game season. Talk about months of meaningless play. So many fans have been seen falling asleep at ballgames. I think when you look at attendance percentage you will see that based on most arenas seating around the 20k or less mark hockey draws considerably better then you imply. Percentage wise much better yhe BB. With 40% of teams selling out all home games and majority of teams at 90+%
The Red Sox have sold out every game since 2003.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I honestly only think the toughness of hockey players can be matched or surpassed by MMA fighters or a similar sport (boxing, wrestling, martial arts etc).
Especially before they had visors, helmets, and the armor they call pads now. My dad used to go to a lot of games as a kid and told me story after story of goalies taking a puck to the face (bare face), dropping to their knees and putting their face in their hands. A pool of blood starts spreading around them. They then leave for about 10 minutes to get stiched up and would play the rest of the game. Still no face protection. Unreal. Those guys were flirting with the edge between tough and crazy.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
The Red Sox have sold out every game since 2003.
And the Yankees consistently draw about 10,000 more each game than they do in Fenway . . . due of course to its greater capacity. As with most everything, if you build a good product, they will come.

As for the "regular" season significance, I don't refer to the fact that baseball plays twice as many games as does the NHL, but rather to the fact that how one does in those games means more over the long haul. Of the 30 MLB teams only 8, or 26%, make the playoffs. In hockey, twice as many of the 30 make the postseason, or just over half of them. To me, this means you can be a hair UNDER mediocre, and still be rewarded.

Finally, baseball has been a part of the American consciousness for a century and a half, and is one of OUR sports. Hockey is NOT native to the USA, and despite the protests of its rabid fans, is little more part of the consciousness of the average American than is soccer. Sorry, but them's the facts, Jacks.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
And the Yankees consistently draw about 10,000 more each game than they do in Fenway . . . due of course to its greater capacity. As with most everything, if you build a good product, they will come.

As for the "regular" season significance, I don't refer to the fact that baseball plays twice as many games as does the NHL, but rather to the fact that how one does in those games means more over the long haul. Of the 30 MLB teams only 8, or 26%, make the playoffs. In hockey, twice as many of the 30 make the postseason, or just over half of them. To me, this means you can be a hair UNDER mediocre, and still be rewarded.

Finally, baseball has been a part of the American consciousness for a century and a half, and is one of OUR sports. Hockey is NOT native to the USA, and despite the protests of its rabid fans, is little more part of the consciousness of the average American than is soccer. Sorry, but them's the facts, Jacks.
Soccer? Don't go there. Check TV ratings on hockey vs anything outside the 4 major sports and it's not even close. In fact NHL has had significant ratings increases in the past couple years. The NBA's labor issues could help even more given their seasons are are at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I know hockey is more of a regional sport. Expanding into the deserts and sub-tropics was a bad idea. The NHL was a better product when there were about 24 teams. However, rule changes/enforcement have helped bring it back quite a bit.