Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #1621
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Count me in the never heard it group as well. Nicotine for me is always felt in the head. The disorientation and nausea then settle in something fierce. I never feel anything in my stomach though.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #1622
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Count me in the never heard it group as well. Nicotine for me is always felt in the head. The disorientation and nausea then settle in something fierce. I never feel anything in my stomach though.
ive never had a cigar kick my @ss but the few times that i do get a slight nicotine buzz its in the head like bill said.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1623
Diths0er

Can't remember right off hand where all I've read it before as I've read a LOT of scattered reviews, but here's one link where I've recently read it. (it's in the first sentence of the answer)

http://www.chineseop.com/wine/What-a...s-to-age-.html

Here it is mentioned in a CI product description.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...sp?item=CS-XXA

I've never had the latter so I can't comment on any effects.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1624
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

That's a stupid cheap marketing gimmick to try to get you to buy bulk crap cigars. No Dominicans taste anything like Cubans.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1625
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

to be honest i have no idea. the first review is lack luster to say the least for me.

the CI product description is better written but i have never felt a cigar in my belly or made me feel "full". CI is just trying to make a budget bundle smoke sound like its the greatest thing since sliced bread. to me its not really worth reading into phrases like this.

remember what feeling, taste, strength, etc. I get from a certain cigar may vary slightly or completely from what you experience. My best guess is the reviewers are trying to articulate a certain characteristics of a smoke and thats the words they felt best describe it. just my

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #1626
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

With some cigars when paired with the tolerance of the smoker, you can feel the effects of the increased nicotine levels. In some people this will result in lightheadedness and others will feel different levels of nausea up to including getting sick. But the same cigar will not have the same affect on all people.

It is also a mistake to pair aging potential with strength. Certainly most strong cigars will mellow with a few months rest in a humidor, but to most this is not aging. Aging is a process that takes many years if not decades. This is not a process that is usually practiced with non-Cuban cigars.

Some smokers prefer fresh cigars and others like to let them rest for a few weeks or months to take the edge off. Its merely a matter of preference and has little to do with the quality or strength of the tobacco.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #1627
dom1n8r

Greetings all...

A couple of questions; how does the size/shape make a difference for the same cigar, same tobacco and wrapper right? Also, being in Afghanistan, I'm ordering all of my cigars on-line. How long would you all recommend I let my cigars sit prior to smoking them. I noticed that with a batch of MOWs, I smoked one the same day they arrived and it was very, very bitter. Smoked one from the same batch just two days ago (one month later) and it reminded me why I like them in the first place. Thanks for any input...D
Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #1628
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1n8r View Post
Greetings all...

A couple of questions; how does the size/shape make a difference for the same cigar, same tobacco and wrapper right? Also, being in Afghanistan, I'm ordering all of my cigars on-line. How long would you all recommend I let my cigars sit prior to smoking them. I noticed that with a batch of MOWs, I smoked one the same day they arrived and it was very, very bitter. Smoked one from the same batch just two days ago (one month later) and it reminded me why I like them in the first place. Thanks for any input...D

All of the tobaccos blended in a certain cigar should be the same across all size/shapes, but what changes is the percentage that each of the three major types represent in a cigar (wrapper, binder and filler). The smaller and skinnier a cigar becomes the more the wrapper and binder may effect the flavor of the cigar. Size/shape also affect the amount of smoke production and draw characteristics which can alter temperature the tobacco may be burned at depending on your smoking style. You will find that, here at CA, a large percentage of us prefer smaller skinner cigars and will have outright disdain for things that are say 6x60. It is all personal preference at the end of the day. If you like a particular cigar try its other sizes, you may end up with a size you like more.

As for shipping and letting rest, that is dependent on the individual supplier and shipping times and conditions. Cigars can be good, bad or in between when smoked right off the truck. A couple days is not enough time though for a cigar to completely acclimate to your humidor. The process for a cigar to change its rH completely is months if not longer. In your particular case I would say that the wrapper dried out a bit and a little time in the humidor provided enough rH to remove the bitterness from a dry wrapper leaf. OR you just had a shitty cigar right off the truck. Not every cigar is going to be perfect or the same as the last. They are a hand made product from a natural leaf.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #1629
RatherUneek
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RatherUneek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
All of the tobaccos blended in a certain cigar should be the same across all size/shapes, but what changes is the percentage that each of the three major types represent in a cigar (wrapper, binder and filler). The smaller and skinnier a cigar becomes the more the wrapper and binder may effect the flavor of the cigar.
Thank you for posting. I have always kinda figured about the amount of smoke production but never thought about a lancero having much more wrapper and binder involved in each "puff". Makes perfect sense, thanks again!
RatherUneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #1630
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
All of the tobaccos blended in a certain cigar should be the same across all size/shapes, but what changes is the percentage that each of the three major types represent in a cigar (wrapper, binder and filler).
Additionally, within the filler, itself, the proportion of ligero, seco and volado leaves will change, which will also have a big impact on flavor.

In the other dimension (length), a longer cigar will develop (ie. have potential to change) more as it is smoked, with a larger volume of smoke, oil and residue being drawn through it over time.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #1631
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I have not noticed a corellation between length and complexity. In fact some of the most complex cigars I have smoked have been coronas or smaller.
Posted via Mobile Device
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #1632
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quick question here. For small cigars I have started using my corn holder nub tool to punch a few holes in the cap rather than cutting the cap off. I have been very happy with the smokes that I have tried this with. I am wondering if there are any issues with this method and if anyone else has tried similar and what the results were.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #1633
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Additionally, within the filler, itself, the proportion of ligero, seco and volado leaves will change, which will also have a big impact on flavor.

In the other dimension (length), a longer cigar will develop (ie. have potential to change) more as it is smoked, with a larger volume of smoke, oil and residue being drawn through it over time.
I was just about to ask this, if smoking a 5 x 50 was any different than a 6 x 50 other than the length of the smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I have not noticed a corellation between length and complexity. In fact some of the most complex cigars I have smoked have been coronas or smaller.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think he's saying that longer cigars are more complex. Period. But that a longer cigar has more time, and therefore more potential to change, not that it necessarily will.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #1634
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
Quick question here. For small cigars I have started using my corn holder nub tool to punch a few holes in the cap rather than cutting the cap off. I have been very happy with the smokes that I have tried this with. I am wondering if there are any issues with this method and if anyone else has tried similar and what the results were.
I like the use of the scientific term "corn holder nub tool". But I'm not a pro, if I had to say, I'd tell you, if it works for you, go for it. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I feel like you may encounter problems with a tight a draw, try massaging it out to loosen it up, if that doesn't work you may have to cut it. But if it's working and you enjoy it, don't stop.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #1635
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Bob, I'm not referring to complexity, per se, but to dynamic. Perhaps you are, too? In my experience, a shorter cigar is less apt to change radically over the course of the smoke, but this does not mean that a shorter cigar cannot be dynamic. YMMV, I guess.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #1636
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Pretty mcuh what flounder said.

People cut there cap all sorts of ways (clip, hole punch, v cut, bite etc, I have used utility knife blades in a pinch too) if it works for you and you get enjoyment out of the time you are smoking your cigar then it's works.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #1637
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
The only issues you may experience that I can think of is an occasional tight draw and the worst thing that happens to me with some smaller smokes if not cut enough is a tar issue. I hate when tar builds up on the head of the cigar, I hate it soo much I don't even use a punch anymore. I cut everything now. It doesn't happen often but 1 out of 20 is to much IMO.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #1638
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
The only issues you may experience that I can think of is an occasional tight draw and the worst thing that happens to me with some smaller smokes if not cut enough is a tar issue. I hate when tar builds up on the head of the cigar, I hate it soo much I don't even use a punch anymore. I cut everything now. It doesn't happen often but 1 out of 20 is to much IMO.
What kind of tar issue? I punched for a while, and just recently went back to cutting, but as far as I am aware, I have never had any sort of tar issue? Please explain.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #1639
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Some cigars, often labeled as "strong" produce more tar. Tar is a black viscous fluid that can form on the end of the cigar as you smoke it. It tastes bad. You need to recut your cigar to get rid of it -- and it may come back again.

Tar can often appear to build up more when using a punch because the area you draw through is smaller. For me this is one of the biggest advantages of a cutter over a punch.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #1640
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Some cigars, often labeled as "strong" produce more tar. Tar is a black viscous fluid that can form on the end of the cigar as you smoke it. It tastes bad. You need to recut your cigar to get rid of it -- and it may come back again.

Tar can often appear to build up more when using a punch because the area you draw through is smaller. For me this is one of the biggest advantages of a cutter over a punch.
Thanks. I know what tar is obviously. But have never experienced this issue, granted I don't smoke real strong cigars.