Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #1241
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
so i've recently seen on the backs of my boveda packs that they should be replaced every 2-3 months, but since they're rechargable and could be run ragged for a longer time this surprised me! is this just a suggestion saying that you should replace them IF you dont recharge them, or no matter? thanks!!

~Mr. Sparkboss.
They want you to buy more, naturally. But if they are still working....................

The same is said on water pillows. They say they can be used (recharged) 2-3 times then you need another one. I have used the same ones for years. As long as they don't completely dry out, they keep on truckin.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 05-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #1242
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I personally keep my Boveda packs about 4-6 weeks. After that they start to get hard, IMO a good time to replace them. They are relatively cheap too.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #1243
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Used To Replace Them Every 3 Months, Now I Just Recharge Them In A Sealed Tupperware With A Sponge Soaked In Distilled H20 Laying Close To But Not Touching The Packs. Works Great!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #1244
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
so i've recently seen on the backs of my boveda packs that they should be replaced every 2-3 months, but since they're rechargable and could be run ragged for a longer time this surprised me! is this just a suggestion saying that you should replace them IF you dont recharge them, or no matter? thanks!!

~Mr. Sparkboss.
Just marketing, if you never threw the product out, they'd only be able to sell it to you once.

I've been recharging the same 4 packs for about 5-6 years now...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #1245
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I personally keep my Boveda packs about 4-6 weeks. After that they start to get hard, IMO a good time to replace them. They are relatively cheap too.
You can recharge your Boveda packs Bill. It takes time, but it is not difficult. If you recharge rather than replace you have more money for cigars

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #1246
thenewguy

has anyone had problems with humi-crystals putting out too much humidity? i bought some for my humidor over here in afghanistan, but im having a lot of trouble with it getting too humid. it is only a 30-50 cigar humi, however i was under the impression that the jar would only emit a certain amount of humidity, regardless of the size of my humi. any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #1247
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You can recharge your Boveda packs Bill. It takes time, but it is not difficult. If you recharge rather than replace you have more money for cigars
What I forgot to mention is....I never spend money on the packs. I use them from vendors that ship humidified. Recycling at it's finest.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #1248
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
has anyone had problems with humi-crystals putting out too much humidity? i bought some for my humidor over here in afghanistan, but im having a lot of trouble with it getting too humid. it is only a 30-50 cigar humi, however i was under the impression that the jar would only emit a certain amount of humidity, regardless of the size of my humi. any suggestions?
How high is "too high"? Do you have mold forming on your cigars or are they smoking badly? Most crystals should emit humidity to about 70%. It may be that the seal is bad on your humidor which might cause the crystals to emit too much rh. Try opening the top a few inches and then dropping lid. If it bang shut you have a leak, it should kind of "whoosh" closed. You can use an empty ammo can or tupperware for temporary storage until you can reseal your humidor.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #1249
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Have you calibrated your hygrometer? It might be off.

I am not that familiar with the crystals, do you have to add water to them? With the beads, you can add too much water. If they are saturated there is nothing left to suck up the extra moisture - not sure if the crystals work the same way.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #1250
thenewguy

i just ordered a new hygrometer, it was doing some funny stuff. and these crystals came "pre-mixed". but my sticks are hard to keep lit, and have that sour taste when they are too damp. im moving them into my buddies humi until i get this figured out.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #1251
thenewguy

one other quick question... a buddy of mine just got a few makers mark cigars.. and a few others that were sealed in tubes. someone was telling me that they did not need to be in a humidor. is this true?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #1252
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
one other quick question... a buddy of mine just got a few makers mark cigars.. and a few others that were sealed in tubes. someone was telling me that they did not need to be in a humidor. is this true?
From everything that I've read and learned in here, you should still put them in a humidor. The tubes are good short tern storage, but they are not "weather" proof. So if you were thinking about smoking it very soon, I would think that it would be fine, more than a week + i'd throw it in the humidor.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #1253
JennaReanne

hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the cigar scene, have tried a few and seem to like the real mild flavored ones. My current favorites are Cao Bella's Caramel flavored. Any suggestions for me to try?

Also, I know not to inhale, but my throat hurts alot when I smoke. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?!?

Thanks! <3

-Jenna
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #1254
Whiskeytown

Is it just me or are the Perdomo Lot 23 Maduros a very light maduro wrapper? They seem only a slight shade darker compared to the natural wrapper.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #1255
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeytown View Post
Is it just me or are the Perdomo Lot 23 Maduros a very light maduro wrapper? They seem only a slight shade darker compared to the natural wrapper.
Some mfg. die the wrappers so they get that dark black color,some will stain your fingers and lips.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #1256
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
Some mfg. die the wrappers so they get that dark black color,some will stain your fingers and lips.
+1 did RP do this with the edge?

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #1257
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaReanne View Post
hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the cigar scene, have tried a few and seem to like the real mild flavored ones. My current favorites are Cao Bella's Caramel flavored. Any suggestions for me to try?

Also, I know not to inhale, but my throat hurts alot when I smoke. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?!?

Thanks! <3

-Jenna
My experience with flavored and infused cigars is limited so all I can recommend is the JAVA by Drew Estates and maybe the Tabak Especial Negras, also by Drew Estates. The Tabak is a fuller bodied cigar though.

To get more suggestions for flavored cigars, you're probably going to need greater exposure for your question than this thread will get. Your best bet is to search reviews or general cigar discussion for terms like "flavored cigars", "ACIDs", "infused" etc. Or post a new thread with your question in general cigar discussion.

As for the throat, you're probably not doing anything wrong, if you are a new smoker, it takes a little while for your body to get used to the smoke.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #1258
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeytown View Post
Maduro, as the term is applied in the cigar description, means a more heavily fermented wrapper and not a specific shade. Some leaves/crops/batches will be darker, some will be lighter.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #1259
Tyler

How long should I let my new cigars rest before I can smoke them? I received two boxes in the mail today. I live in Texas so when I opened the UPS box I found the cigar boxes were very warm. They have been sitting in the coolidor for about 4 hours now.

To the question above: Some maduro wrappers, typically in cheaper maduro cigars, are dyed or altered to appear darker than they actually are, like Mike said. In my personal opinion the Lot 23 Maduros are naturally maduro and they do not try to dye them to make them appear darker. Just my two cents though.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #1260
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
How long should I let my new cigars rest before I can smoke them? I received two boxes in the mail today. I live in Texas so when I opened the UPS box I found the cigar boxes were very warm. They have been sitting in the coolidor for about 4 hours now.

To the question above: Some maduro wrappers, typically in cheaper maduro cigars, are dyed or altered to appear darker than they actually are, like Mike said. In my personal opinion the Lot 23 Maduros are naturally maduro and they do not try to dye them to make them appear darker. Just my two cents though.
My Preference Is To Rest Them In My Cooler Or Humidor At Least 1 Month, But I'm OCD!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote