Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #2321
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

Geoff, you usually have a pretty objective perspective....I cannot believe you are defending Burrows.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #2322
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Geoff, you usually have a pretty objective perspective....I cannot believe you are defending Burrows.
. I disagree.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #2323
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
. I disagree.
Anyone who disagrees with you isn't "objective", Mike!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #2324
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I know right. Thats what Im saying. And its Mr. Claven to you.

I was going to post a link to the Austin Powers movie where Springer bites Dr. EVIL, but the bite is at the end.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #2325
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

You guys neglected the some very important info from that HNIC clip....

The Queen will not be returning to Winnipeg.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #2326
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I think we can all agree.
God save the Queen!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #2327
ahc4353

Well, I hate to agree with Cherry and Mike on anything but on this one I have to.

Biting, kicking, hair pulling and slew footing are in the top five of chicken chit move you can make.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #2328
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Ryan Whitney of Edmonton was on talk radio yesterday,and came out and said to expect things like that,said that's how Vancouver rolls,plus he said 90 percent of the players in the league can't stand the Canucks
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #2329
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
That is a matter of perception and quite frankly it's something that is coloured by personal opinions. The Canuck haters are always going to see that as intentional, and that's fine... but it doesn't really make it any closer to being reality.
Really?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #2330
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
LEAGUE SAYS BURROWS WILL NOT BE SUSPENDED FOR BITING INCIDENT

Vancouver Canucks forward Alex Burrows will not be suspended for the alleged biting incident that took place between him and Boston's Patrice Bergeron during Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday.

NHL senior vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy announced the decision in a statement on Thursday.

"After reviewing the incident, including speaking with the on-ice officials, I can find no conclusive evidence that Alex Burrows intentionally bit the finger of Patrice Bergeron."

The incident occurred during a scrum at the end of the first period. While a linesman was trying to break up some pushing and shoving, Bergeron's hand ended up near Burrows' face and the Canucks' forward appeared to bite down on a finger of Bergeron's glove.

Bergeron said that his finger was cut after the incident.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367657

Moral of the story? If you don't want your fingers bitten don't force them into other peoples mouths

Now, please resume your regularly scheduled anti-Canucks comments
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #2331
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I didnt think it was human possibly for a person to wedge their head that far up their. You sir have proved me wrong.

The moral of the story is Burrows is a hair pulling finger biting little bit˘h.

Boston fans your looking screwed so just get ready.

Ooooh Al you know this thread would be much less interesting without me stirring the pot for fun.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 06-02-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #2332
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Moral of the story? If you don't want your fingers bitten don't force them into other peoples mouths

My 6 month old grand daughter puts her fingers into my mouth all the time. Guess it's tiime to teach her this lesson. Sorry Olivia...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #2333
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I think we can all agree.
God save the Queen!
Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Ryan Whitney of Edmonton was on talk radio yesterday,and came out and said to expect things like that,said that's how Vancouver rolls,plus he said 90 percent of the players in the league can't stand the Canucks
I bet it's 96.6% (29 0f 30).

Quote:

Forced them? Canuck, please!

Just because the NHL (apparently Murphy, not Shanahan) dropped the ball doesn't mean Burrows isn't an incredible *****.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #2334
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Like I said, if this was an intentional or blatant bite then I'd be all over issuing fines and suspensions to Burrows. There is no real proof other than Bergeron's word that Burrows bit him, all the video reply shows is Bergeron shoving his finger in Burrows mouth and Burrows turning his head away. That is why the league isn't pursuing it... there's nothing to pursue.

The hair pulling in the Chicago series a couple years back was a bit˘h move, no question. This? Come on. Tell you what, unless it's to induce vomiting to clear poison, any man that tries to shove his fingers into another man's mouth shouldn't expect to get them back at all

Quote:
Just because the NHL (apparently Murphy, not Shanahan) dropped the ball doesn't mean Burrows isn't an incredible *****.
2 words: Marc Savard.

Actually the best/funniest quote I've heard all day on this biting non-issue is from a former NFL linebacker (forget his name off the top of my head):

""the space outside of my helmet is all his, the space inside my helmet is all mine"

Quote:
Boston fans your looking screwed so just get ready.
This you're right about. From the horses mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxu2-Ts4AWM (possibly NSFW due to language)
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #2335
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Like I said, if this was an intentional or blatant bite then I'd be all over issuing fines and suspensions to Burrows. There is no real proof other than Bergeron's word that Burrows bit him, all the video reply shows is Bergeron shoving his finger in Burrows mouth and Burrows turning his head away. That is why the league isn't pursuing it... there's nothing to pursue.

The hair pulling in the Chicago series a couple years back was a bit˘h move, no question. This? Come on. Tell you what, unless it's to induce vomiting to clear poison, any man that tries to shove his fingers into another man's mouth shouldn't expect to get them back at all

2 words: Marc Savard.

Actually the best/funniest quote I've heard all day on this biting non-issue is from a former NFL linebacker (forget his name off the top of my head):

""the space outside of my helmet is all his, the space inside my helmet is all mine"

This you're right about. From the horses mouth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxu2-Ts4AWM (possibly NSFW due to language)
I see him chomp down, Geoff. Apparently we see different things, and I guess there is no point in debating it.

No defense of Marc Savard's bite will come from my lips, I think it is a b*tch move from any player. Even my all-time favorite D-man, Dave Manson, had a biting incident with Scott Stevens, and there is no defending it.

I believe the quote actually came from HOF running back Jim Brown.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #2336
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Mike's (Ahbroody's) favorite Red Wing's color commentator is getting some major kudos; will be inducted into the Hockey Hall Of Fame...

Red Wings TV analyst Mickey Redmond will receive Foster Hewitt Award

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....mickey_re.html

Quote:
DETROIT -- When Mickey Redmond’s promising playing career was cut short because of back problems, it opened the door to a long and rewarding stint in the broadcast booth.

Redmond, the color analyst for the Detroit Red Wings, has been entertaining and enlightening hockey fans for more than three decades with his enthusiastic style and colorful phrases, termed "Mickeyisms."

On Thursday, the Hockey Hall of Fame announced that Redmond will receive the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for outstanding contributions as a hockey broadcaster.

Redmond will receive the award at a luncheon on Nov. 14 as part of this year’s Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in Toronto.

"I’m almost overwhelmed," Redmond said. "My phone’s been ringing off the hook. The more people talk about it, you get an understanding of what it means."

Redmond, 63, started his broadcasting career in 1979 with the Red Wings. After a five-year stint on Hockey Night in Canada, he returned to Detroit in 1986. Since 1997, he has worked with play-by-play man Ken Daniels on Fox Sports Detroit. He also has worked national telecasts for Fox Sports, ABC, ESPN and USA Network.

Redmond said it means a lot to him to be recognized for giving back to the sport. His late parents, Eddie and May, were heavily involved in the game. Eddie Redmond played semipro hockey with Jean Beliveau and the Quebec Aces. Mickey’s brother, Dick, was a defenseman who spent 13 seasons in the NHL, primarily with Chicago and Boston.

"The Redmond family are hockey lifers," Redmond said. "For the Redmond family to be able to contribute back to hockey is special to me."

Redmond played on two Stanley Cup-winning teams with the Montreal Canadiens (1968 and ’69) before being traded to Detroit, where his career blossomed. He was the first player in franchise history to score 50 goals, netting 51 in 1972-73 and 52 the following season.

Recurring back pain forced him to retire prematurely at age 29 in 1976.

In 1979, he started working Red Wings games for ON-TV, a subscription service that was a precursor to cable television.

"In a strange way (the injury) opened the door for this to take place," Redmond said. "They said, ‘Here’s a microphone, go do what you do.’ It went from there. It’s been an amazing 32 years."

Growing up in Peterborough, Ontario, he watched the Toronto Maple Leafs and Canadiens on CBC, listening to legendary voices Foster Hewitt and Danny Gallivan. He eventually worked with broadcasting giants such as Gallivan, Dick Irvin and Bob Cole.

Redmond credits his father for helping him develop a sharp analytical eye for the game.

"Dad’s advice was "don’t let (a bad or uneventful) game drag you down, look harder to find its greatness,’ " Redmond said. "I tried to carry that advice with me. I’m very blessed to do what I do."

Health issues forced Redmond to reduce his travel schedule several years ago. He still works 75 percent of the games and has no plans to retire anytime soon.

"After 44 years in the game, this is as good as it gets for me," Redmond said. "As long as I’m having fun, I’ll do it as long as I can."

The Foster Hewitt Memorial Award is named in honor of the late "Voice of Hockey" in Canada. It was first presented in 1984 by the NHL Broadcasters’ Association in recognition of members of the radio and television industry who have made outstanding contributions to their profession and to hockey.
Congrats Mickey!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #2337
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Ughhhhh I cant take homers. I am sure if you are a Wings fan hes great. I just hear the Redwings $hit cotton candy and piss sunshine when ever he speaks. I know there is hockey knowledge in there I just cant get passed the love fest.

Congrats on him.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #2338
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I like Mickey.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #2339
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Ughhhhh I cant take homers. I am sure if you are a Wings fan hes great. I just hear the Redwings $hit cotton candy and piss sunshine when ever he speaks. I know there is hockey knowledge in there I just cant get passed the love fest.

Congrats on him.

Honestly, I know plenty of Leafs fans who like him, despite the rivalry. Plus I know at least one Hawks fan (see above) who likes him. Obviously Mickey pulls for the Wings, but he doesn't sugar-coat it when they are getting outplayed, outworked, etc. He also gives credit where credit is due, even if it is to the opposing team. He does get critical of the refs, but for both sides. He likes it when the refs let 'em play. He's a big fan of self-policing amongst the players. So muchs so that I've heard him on countless occasions say the way to prevent high-stick injuries is not better helmets and visors, but the opposite; take the helmets and visors away. I see the logic, but I'm not sure if it would fly in today's NHL. But I digress....
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #2340
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Like I said I am sure hes great maybe my judgement is clouded. I dont know though as I am not a fan of Jack Edwards either. Dude gets so excited sometimes especially during fights it sounds like hes going to have a pleasurable release on the air. I remember I think its the lightnings broadcaster not Espo. Someone did a feed of his goal calls and it was LULs. Voice cracking squealing epic.

Good on him though, just used to a different style.
Closed Thread