Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #501
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Almost there...

Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #502
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Picked last night...

Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #503
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Steve. Those are some good looking plants. Is that a better bush? Couldn't really zoom in enough to tell. If you don't mind me asking where are you located? I may know the guy you bought the plants from.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #504
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Yes, it is a better bush. I'm in Florida. And by the way, thos two 'maters tasted awesome!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #505
AUguy
The end is always near

Bolivar

I have a buddy who works out of our Lake City farm in Florida. Not sure what areas he delivers to though. I grew a better bush a few years ago and was really surprised at how many tomatoes it produced. It is not a great seller in most areas but I think that is mostly due to the name.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #506
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Last night Holly made homemade pizza using basil, tomatoes and oregano from our garden and sausage from a little piggie that wasn't fast enough. Man, beats the heck outta store bought stuff!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #507
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Steve, do you grow those marigolds/mums as pest control?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #508
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUguy View Post

A side note. If anyone recognizes the company these are grown for please don't post the name. They don't really like when employees post stuff on the internet.
Sources close to the investigation asked not to be named as they were not allowed to talk to the media.
LEAKER
Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #509
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
Trading: (1)
baust55 is on a distinguished road

I love to garden ..............

AUSTIN
baust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #510
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Steve, do you grow those marigolds/mums as pest control?
Yes...that is the theory
Old 06-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #511
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I guess I should've done a better job marking my plants. I have one bed with a collard green and cauliflower. I continue to look for growth of the cauliflower head, but haven't seen one yet. So right now, I can't tell which is which.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #512
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes...that is the theory
And its a solid theory based on all I know about pest control, which these days is quite a lot.
Except for the "drive me into the arms of another" theory. Interested to see which theory wins out.
If nothing else, you will have some pretty flowers which you'll be able to see through the leaves of
your vegetable plants. I am going with a little of both. Can't wait to see how this works out. If the
mums get REALLY WILD, you should prune them, boil some tea with the leaves and flowers and then
spray that on the veggies. I KNOW that should work.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #513
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I have noticed that a few of the leaves, mainly on the pepper plants of all things, have been munched on and we lost one tomato early on to a worm but we separated it quickly from the others. Other than that I haven't seen a lot of pests so I'm going to go with "they're working".

Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #514
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I had some caterpillars on my celery plants. Quick snip with the scissors took care of that. Next day, gone.

Growing a new type of corn this year. Never seen multiple stalks from the same plant before. Hopefully they all produce.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #515
AUguy
The end is always near

Bolivar

Hope everyone's garden is doing well with all of the rain we've had in many parts of the country. My season is winding down so I will get to plant my garden in a few weeks when I get home.

In the meantime, here is a little plant **** for you basil lovers out there.

Speaking of basil. Be on the lookout for downy mildew. Word is that it is making its way around the northeast.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #516
AUguy
The end is always near

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I had some caterpillars on my celery plants. Quick snip with the scissors took care of that. Next day, gone.

Growing a new type of corn this year. Never seen multiple stalks from the same plant before. Hopefully they all produce.
Whats the name of the corn you're growing? I would love to see some pics of the multiple stalks if you don't mind.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #517
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Whats the name of the corn you're growing? I would love to see some pics of the multiple stalks if you don't mind.
It's Golden Bantam Sweet. If you look at the pic, you can see the main center stalk, then the smaller stalks coming off the sides at an angle. Some of the side stalks are rather large.

I've only grown corn once before and don't remember it doing that before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #518
AUguy
The end is always near

Bolivar

I've never seen that either. I assume from the name that it is a yellow corn. Let me know how it taste when it's ready.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #519
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I've never seen that either. I assume from the name that it is a yellow corn. Let me know how it taste when it's ready.
Will do. The largest plants are nearing 3' tall. I'm guessing august I should see something.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #520
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Multiple stalks on corn is common, I see them a lot. Leave them on, they make the plant stronger.