Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Exclamation A Christmas humidity question...

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!!

Instead of writing out a huge back story and what not, I'll spare all of you and just ask...

If my coolidors are in a room with *signifigantly* lower RH, would running a basic run of the mill room humidifier in the room before/during the opening of the coolidors allow me the ability to leave them open/work with moving around and organizing cigar boxes without having to worry about cigars cracking and significant dropping of internal Coolidor RH?

And if so, would it be recommended to use distilled water in the humidifier? (That assumption is based upon the fact that distilled is recommended for all humidification devices.) Or would regular tap water suffice? Or, is this an absurd question & should I fashion myself a dunce cap and sit in the corner of the lower RH room?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you are able to provide!!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: A Christmas humidity question...

Hi Michael and Merry Xmas!

Do you have a cooler with a good seal? That would probably be ideal for this. I have a marine one that is also well insulated. I just put in a wide-mouth cup with distilled into the cooler when holding cigars in there. If going to long term, add beads. This is how I do my 300 and 500 count desktops as well.

If you are just moving boxes around for a half hour or so, I wouldn't worry. If you plan to go longer than that, then I would by some large (2 gallon or larger) zip lock bags for holding them while they are out, provided you do not have a cooler handy.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I think you’re worrying about short term changes more than it’s worth. Those cigars travelled in a cargo ship on the ocean to get here and didn’t crack.

Tap water has different amounts of minerals and sediment in it in different locations. So, it may leave a residue on the heating element or on room surfaces ( for humidifiers that don’t use heat ). Or not. Try it and if it causes a problem for you, switch to distilled.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I agree with Mr. Mark, I'll do a big reorganization once every few months and pull everything out of a large cabinet for over an hour. Cigars are resilient, that won't hurt them in any short period of time. Good advice from him also if you need a long term solution.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Yeah I'm using Coleman xtreme 6/ 120 quart coolers and they seem to hold the RH pretty steady!
I like the idea of maybe keeping them in a humidified bag temporarily...but yeah I'm going to be trying to separate cigars boxes by location so I might need them to be outside of coolers for a bit...but hopefully I can get the organizing done fast!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I agree with Tom agreeing with Mark.

Cigars are very resilient, sitting outside the cooler shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

Merry Christmas!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Hi Michael and Merry Xmas!

Do you have a cooler with a good seal? That would probably be ideal for this. I have a marine one that is also well insulated. I just put in a wide-mouth cup with distilled into the cooler when holding cigars in there. If going to long term, add beads. This is how I do my 300 and 500 count desktops as well.

If you are just moving boxes around for a half hour or so, I wouldn't worry. If you plan to go longer than that, then I would by some large (2 gallon or larger) zip lock bags for holding them while they are out, provided you do not have a cooler handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I think you’re worrying about short term changes more than it’s worth. Those cigars travelled in a cargo ship on the ocean to get here and didn’t crack.

Tap water has different amounts of minerals and sediment in it in different locations. So, it may leave a residue on the heating element or on room surfaces ( for humidifiers that don’t use heat ). Or not. Try it and if it causes a problem for you, switch to distilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I agree with Mr. Mark, I'll do a big reorganization once every few months and pull everything out of a large cabinet for over an hour. Cigars are resilient, that won't hurt them in any short period of time. Good advice from him also if you need a long term solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I agree with Tom agreeing with Mark.

Cigars are very resilient, sitting outside the cooler shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

Merry Christmas!
This