Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #41
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do you buy your smokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Where is this WTS/WTB section? Am I missing something or do I just not have the clearance yet?
Have you checked the clearance Clarence? Doors will open up.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #42
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where is this WTS/WTB section? Am I missing something or do I just not have the clearance yet?
You should have clearance soon, I'd think. Just keep doin what you're doin.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #43
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Scott, just making sure I wasn't overlooking something.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks Scott, just making sure I wasn't overlooking something.
^^ me too
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #45
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Patience, Brothers!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Patience, Brothers!
I am in no hurry at all, I know it will come when the time is right.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #47
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I am in no hurry at all, I know it will come when the time is right.
Ditto
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Right now, I buy singles at the local liquor store, or when I get to a good B&M, singles there.

Going to try samplers when I get a chance.

My wife allows me about $20 a week for incidentals at work. I am setting some of that aside as cigar money. If we have enough in the account after bills are paid, I can "play" a little.

Once my CCs are paid down, I'll have a little more wiggle room. I have to be careful, especially with the Bass Pro Shops openng up in October. I won't go crazy (yet).
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #49
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

I like to buy singles to try out new cigars, then the ones I like, I will buy a box.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #50
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

So far I have only bought samplers... Still trying to find that 'special' one.. But, oh well.. I have tried plenty of good ones in the process.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #51
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

Although I would like to preview the cigar in which I'm interested by buying a 5-er from my B&M, both to support him and to get an idea of what the cigar is like, doing so means I drop ~1/3 of the value of a box in that purchase, and I don't have the money to do that and buy a box. This is a wonderful B&M with an outstanding humidor, but you have to gently twist the owner's arm to get a discount on a 5 cigar purchase; he normally charges you 5 Xs the singles price, and I dislike the arm twisting.

Also, as I don't have the money to pay his prices on a box, about 40% higher than the cost from the lowest price e-tailer, I've never bought a box from him and doubt that I ever will, although I've tried. For instance I got a box of the Don Carlos Presidente for $208.00; when I ran that number past him I was told that getting the box through him for that price was dreaming.

Also, about 50% of the time, a 5-er is an inadequate preview; in these cases I need to smoke 10-15 cigars to judge a cigar.

Instead what I do read 3 pages of Google output of reviews of the cigar, get a consensus of how the cigar performs, and make my decision. Only unusually do I get cigars that I don't like.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #52
Hippiebrian

I usually buy big samplers on line. I get singles at the local b&m, usually when I go in I smoke one in the lounge and take two home. I have been out of the cigar world for about 20 yearss, as the divorce didn't leave me enough money to smoke what I enjoy. Now that I can afford it (again), I've found the brands have all changed, as has my palete. I will start buying bundles or boxes soon, as I have found pretty much what I'd like to smoke on a regular basis at a decent price, but will continue buying samples, singles and fivers because I love the variety!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #53
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I buy boxes if I know I like the cigar. Otherwise fivers and sometimes singles

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

I love to go to a B&M shop and drool at the selection. I love that smell of opening the humidor door and the rush of scents that come out as I step in! Mmmm...I love it.

Sorry, I zoned out for a minute. Seriously though, I love to try cigars from my B&M store and if I like it, I'll consider a box. I also like samplers to try new things since I'm definitely a noob. I've only bought a couple of boxes in my life, but I'm sure that will change as I get into this addiction!
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #55
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Nothing but boxes and fivers for me. Mostly boxes. And my basement is getting crowded with all the empty ones.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
timatraw
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cohiba
timatraw is on a distinguished road

I guess "clearance" is determined by number of posts.
I buy by the box.
timatraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #57
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I am in a couple of monthly box splits. Other than that I pretty much only buy boxes. Once in a blue moon I buy a sampler or a fiver from a WTS thread.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #58
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti View Post
Also, about 50% of the time, a 5-er is an inadequate preview; in these cases I need to smoke 10-15 cigars to judge a cigar.
Really???
Here's how I do it...
Smoke cigar. It's either good enough for a box purchase, or not. In very remote instances I'll smoke two before making a box purchase decision. In 100% of those situations, I don't buy a box.
But really, 10 or 15 cigars to make up your mind? I think you're jerking our collective chain, or you've not been made aware that there's hundreds, if not thousands of other cigars to move on to. If a cigar doesn't make you shine the first time, don't doddle, brother. There's likely 14 gems you're missing while you're guessing if you like that first cigar.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #59
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm with Scott, I smoke one cigar. If I like it I buy a box, if I don't I move on to others.

Sometimes another one will randomly come my way via trade or a friend wants me to give it a second shot and if it's good it was meant to be and I'll get a box. If not it further reinforces the fact that the cigar is not for me.

Other than that there is maybe 2-3 peoples opinions I trust (based solely on flavor profile) and a maybe 1-2 reviewers I trust.

I refuse to buy 10-15 cigars to make up my mind on a box. That's about half a box right there. May as well have bought it and probably got a good enough deal that it would be 25% more to get a full box instead of half.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #60
Moose6026
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Moose6026 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
fixed it for you brother.

As to the original post. I try to buy boxes (cheaper then singles). I will also do the 5er if its a good deal, then do 4 of them.

Thanks for lookin out for a brother Larry.