Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #161
LordOfWu

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

The object lesson of the night last night...don't give your back to a BJJ black belt...it doesn't end well for you!

I've never seen that many submissions on one card, and the Hazlett sub...OMG, that was sick!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #162
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

4 bet parlay won $430 last night, damn I'm good.

This ended up to be a great card. Can't wait for the Dec. card.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #163
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Pretty good fights.

Umm, what was with the Quarry Maia after fight kiss. Either they are dating or that was very strange.

Hazelett & Florian looked good in their fights. Just don't like Gonzaga, he got fed a can now he wants to look for a title. I say let Couture school him again.

Quote:
IMO Lesnar caught Courure with an illegal blow,
Not an illegal hit at all.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #164
Ron1YY

I wouldn't say it was an illegal hit because I really didn't see it that way from the angles I saw.

I will say that Randy got caught. I didn't think Brock dominated Randy up to the point that he caught him.

Like I said, I'd love to see a rematch. Randy was doing great and I have that "what if" in the back of my mind like I did and the end of the Serra vs. GSP fight
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #165
kayaker

I know it wasn't really an illegal strike, but I'm caught up on wishful thinking.

I don't think he really deserved a title shot yet, I guess if he didn't deserve it he shouldn't have won. It will be interesting to see how he makes out against the winner of Mir vs Nog.

There were lots of great fights last night and we got to see them all.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #166
Comicbookfreak
Tattooed 4 Life

Location: Goverment Facility Solving The Riddles of Time Travel
HdM
Comicbookfreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
I wouldn't say it was an illegal hit because I really didn't see it that way from the angles I saw.

I will say that Randy got caught. I didn't think Brock dominated Randy up to the point that he caught him.

Like I said, I'd love to see a rematch. Randy was doing great and I have that "what if" in the back of my mind like I did and the end of the Serra vs. GSP fight
I agree the shot wasn't illegal.

I disagree that Randy wasn't getting dominated. All Randy could do with Brock was be on his back for most of the first round after getting taken down by Brock. And Randy was an alternate for the Olympics in Greco Roman Wrestling, which shows Brock ability to take down Olympic caliber wrestlers and put them on their back. Other than that all Randy did to Brock was try to hold him against the fence.

I like Randy and think he is a class act. But maybe now people will start to realize just because Brock chose to make a **** load of money in Pro Wrestling in no way mean he isn't a legitimate fighter. Mir better hope he doesn't beat Nog and have to have a rematch against Brock cause I don't see Brock leaving his leg out their for him next time like he did in their first fight, which was only because the ref stood them up after claiming Brock hit Mir in the back of the head when it was Mir who turned his head as the punch was being throw. Up til the point the ref interfered Mir was get his ass handed to him by Brock and was second from the fight being stopped.. Brock trains like an animal and I just don't see Brock getting caught in another leg sub by Mir. Mir also tried to get arm subs on Brock and Brock was just too powerful for Mir to land them. Now Nog / Lesnar would be interesting if Nog doesn't get caught with one of those size 4X canned hams of a hands Brock has and Nog has been proven he can be knocked down. Not sure he could take Brock power either. Looking forward to wither one of these guys fighting Brock.

As far as people saying Brock isn't legit and doesn't deserve a title shot, do you think so now? Bottom line is Brock puts asses in the seats and makes PPV buyrates soar. And in the grand scheme of things this is a business and in business money is the bottom line like it or not.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #167
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookfreak View Post
I disagree that Randy wasn't getting dominated. All Randy could do with Brock was be on his back for most of the first round after getting taken down by Brock. And Randy was an alternate for the Olympics in Greco Roman Wrestling, which shows Brock ability to take down Olympic caliber wrestlers and put them on their back. Other than that all Randy did to Brock was try to hold him against the fence.
I thought Randy was doing well, and surprised Brock w/ a couple of shots (including one that cut him). Until he was rocked, Randy was avoiding taking damage on the ground and was able to get back up. Brock played the punchers chance and got a big hit in, it was legit and punishing. Randy had taken another big hit on his feet, if anything I think Randy was going w/ a pretty solid game plan to keep Brock tied up in the fence and avoid damage on the ground, a game plan you have to know either Nog or Mir will see.

Quote:
As far as people saying Brock isn't legit and doesn't deserve a title shot, do you think so now? Bottom line is Brock puts asses in the seats and makes PPV buyrates soar. And in the grand scheme of things this is a business and in business money is the bottom line like it or not.
I didn't get the feeling that anyone thought Brock wasn't legit, but this isn't just business, it's a sport, and I think it wasn't right to give Brock a title shot for two reasons: a) Noguira holds the interim belt, so consolidating the belt should have been the first priority and b) when your pro record is 2-1, you should have to earn your shot at the title, not get it strictly because you bring in viewers. I don't think there would be any fewer viewers for a card w/ Randy and Nog, or a card with Brock and someone like Cheick Kongo. I don't doubt that he is now the heavyweight champ, but I think it's proof that this is still such a young sport when you get your shot w/ only 3 fights under your belt.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #168
Ron1YY

Quote:
I agree the shot wasn't illegal.

I like Randy and think he is a class act. But maybe now people will start to realize just because Brock chose to make a **** load of money in Pro Wrestling in no way mean he isn't a legitimate fighter. Mir better hope he doesn't beat Nog and have to have a rematch against Brock cause I don't see Brock leaving his leg out their for him next time like he did in their first fight, which was only because the ref stood them up after claiming Brock hit Mir in the back of the head when it was Mir who turned his head as the punch was being throw. Up til the point the ref interfered Mir was get his ass handed to him by Brock and was second from the fight being stopped.. Brock trains like an animal and I just don't see Brock getting caught in another leg sub by Mir. Mir also tried to get arm subs on Brock and Brock was just too powerful for Mir to land them. Now Nog / Lesnar would be interesting if Nog doesn't get caught with one of those size 4X canned hams of a hands Brock has and Nog has been proven he can be knocked down. Not sure he could take Brock power either. Looking forward to wither one of these guys fighting Brock.

I guess we just see it differently. Comparing it to his other fights, it didn't look like he was as agressive as he was with Heath. Kind of surprised me at that. I really thought Brock would come out of the gate like he did against Mir and Herring.

Randy putting people on the fence wears them down and also frustrates the fighters. From what I was hearing, That and stick and move was his plan. It seemed to be working for him until he got nailed. And when you get hit with Bricks the size of Brocks hands, There really isn't much you can do except drop.

As far as legitimate, Brock is an NCAA Champion and a World Class athlete. Any and all athletes that change sports have a learning curve and Brock looks like he is a fast learner. Deserving a Title Shot, Why not!!. Look at the history of some great champions. Randy won his first title (Ironically) in his 4th fight!!!!!

The thing that gets me with this fight, is that it has the same feel as the GSP fight as with other fights where, that one shot that turns the fight.......
Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #169
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Guys, I think we are going to be seeing some exciting fights in the HW's that haven't been there for a long time. Brock, Mir, Nog, Randy and others coming up like Velasquez, Kongo, and Dos Santos.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #170
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Guys, I think we are going to be seeing some exciting fights in the HW's that haven't been there for a long time. Brock, Mir, Nog, Randy and others coming up like Velasquez, Kongo, and Dos Santos.
I agree. I'd also like to see Arvloski make a come back.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #171
kayaker

Report: Anderson Silva could headline UFC 95, against Chuck Liddell
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 17, 2008 at 10:07 am ET
When the UFC returns to London, England, for a show at The 02, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (23-4 MMA, 8-0 UFC) could headline the event -- possibly in a non-title fight at 205 pounds against Chuck Liddell (21-6 MMA, 16-5 UFC).

The Sun, a reputable newspaper from the U.K., reported the possibility of the UFC 95 main event overnight.

However, neither fighter has been officially booked for the Feb. 21 event, and the Silva-Liddell fight is only being discussed a possibility.

"SunSport understands middleweight champion Anderson Silva, 33, has been asked to appear on the card, with a potential bout with light heavyweight star Chuck Liddell already being mooted," the report stated.

If it does pan out, the fight is certain to raise some eyebrows.

While Silva, who's made easy work of the UFC's 185-pound division since his arrival in 2006, has been granted permission to fight in the 205-pound division once before, his fight with James Irvin was largely considered pointless. However, with UFC Fight Night 15 being a late-booked event and in desperate need of a main event to counter Affliction Entertainment's debut event on July 19, the circumstances warranted even a non-ideal booking.

The UFC 95 fight, meanwhile, could be -- and perhaps should be -- criticized on two fronts. Not only would the light-heavyweight fight put the UFC's middleweight title picture on hold again (Silva made just two title defenses in 2008), he'd also be competing against a fighter -- though surely a future UFC hall-of-famer -- who's lost three of his past four fights and whose stock has never been lower. In fact, the 38-year-old Liddell hasn't scored a knockout victory in nearly two years.

Liddell is still a draw, and the fight could be marketed. However, a loss for "The Iceman" could be a disaster and force him into retirement. Worse yet, a loss for Silva would greatly impact his standing as the world's top pound-for-pound fighter and would likely derail any future plans for the 33-year-old Brazilian to fight outside the 185-pound division.

Silva is currently riding a nine-fight win streak, which includes eight consecutive victories in the UFC. None of his UFC fights has gone to a decision, including his most recent title defense. Last month at UFC 90, he defeated Patrick Cote via third-round TKO due to a knee injury suffered by the Canadian fighter.

For the latest on UFC 95, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

So if this happens, and Silva beats Liddel. Do you think he should get a title shot at LHW?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #172
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I agree. I'd also like to see Arvloski make a come back.
He is sceduled to be Fedor's next victim at Affliction's Day of Reckoning on New Years day.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #173
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
He is sceduled to be Fedor's next victim at Affliction's Day of Reckoning on New Years day.

Yep and this is going to be Fedor's biggest test that he's had in some time. Arlovski has been fighting like the AA of old, when we dominated people in the UFC.

As far as Anderson vs. Chuck, my buddy and I called this months ago, just didn't know when it would happen. Dana is all about putting together super fights for big numbers. That mixed with no one in the MW division can hold a candle to Silva, he needs the competition. Dana is giving Chuck one last main event hoo-ra and payday, then Chuck is likely going fight maybe a few more times and be done. He'll be 40 at the time he fights Silva. Just like many have said, Chuck isn't the same Chuck as he used to be.

As far as Anderson going for the title, we'll have to see. Silva has said over and over that he is retiring after this contract. If he sticks to that, I don't think Dana will let him go for the 205 title. That mixed with that there are SO MANY deserving people at 205 that need a title shot.

Here are the 205 top 10 Rankings:

#1 Light Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Forrest Griffin
2. Quinton Jackson
3. Lyoto Machida
4. Rashad Evans
5. Chuck Liddell
6. Wanderlei Silva
7. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
8. Keith Jardine
9. Rich Franklin
10. Thiago Silva

Rashad already has the next title fight. If Wandy beats Rampage, he will have the following title shot. I think we'll see Franklin and Machida rematch.

Like I said, 205 is just too stacked for Anderson to get a title shot. He will fight Chuck at 205 for big PPV numbers, that's about it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #174
kayaker

Check this out:

UFC drops Jon Fitch, other American Kickboxing Academy fighters
by Kevin Iole on Nov 20, 2008 at 2:30 am ET
A bitterly angry Dana White said Wednesday the Ultimate Fighting Championship has cut highly regarded welterweight contender Jon Fitch and is not going to do business with any fighters who are part of the American Kickboxing Academy team in San Jose, Calif.

The outspoken UFC president said shortly after landing in Hawaii on Wednesday that he no longer wants to work with AKA fighters or those represented by DeWayne Zinkin and Bob Cook.

White said he excepted AKA welterweight Mike Swick from that group because he said Swick called him and told him he wants to fight for the UFC. But Fitch and heavyweight Christian Wellisch were cut on Wednesday, and heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez and welterweight Josh Koscheck could be next.

"We're looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I'm just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it's not even funny," White said from Honolulu, where he flew Wednesday from Toronto to hold a news conference to announce the B.J. Penn-Georges St. Pierre fight for UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

"Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them."

Fitch said Wednesday the dispute was over his reluctance to sign a lifetime contract to allow his name and likeness to be used in a video game the UFC is planning with THQ. He said the dispute has nothing to do with money and that he never caused a problem during his time in the UFC.

He said he simply didn't understand the need to sign a lifetime contract, particularly since it would not pay his family in the event of his death.

"Working for free and selling our rights away for lifetime, that's a little different," said Fitch, who said he hasn't spoken with White but plans to call him. "We tried to negotiate five- or 10-year deals with them, but it wasn't good enough. It was all or nothing. He wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."

White said the AKA fighters "aren't partners with us" and said they don't understand what the UFC is trying to do for the sport. White said the UFC's current success was because of long hours he and partner Lorenzo Fertitta have put in trying to build the company and the sport of mixed martial arts.

White complained that he has to make frequent sacrifices in his personal life and is away from his family for long stretches because of his commitment to growing the UFC. He said the AKA fighters don't understand the things UFC management is trying to do and said they'll learn how tough things are in the poor economy.

"There are a lot of guys who help us and work with us and are great partners with us, and they're the ones we're going to remember and take care of," White said. "Do these guys understand what is going on in this world? I'll tell you, this economy is [expletive] up. It's totally [expletive] up. It's bad, real, real bad. The [television] networks are in trouble and don't have money. The sponsors are in trouble, and they have no money. If they don't have money, they go out of business.

"It's a whole other world out there, believe me, and let these guys go out there and see what they find."

White said he took great care of Fitch and said with bonuses and purse, Fitch made $169,000 for his welterweight title fight loss to St. Pierre at UFC 87 in Minneapolis in August. Fitch (17-3 with 1 no-contest) did not dispute that salary figure. He said the UFC "has taken care of me and you've never heard me complain about money. This is a respect thing."

Fitch said he thought there should room to negotiate on these contracts but said the UFC would not budge.

He said he understood it was highly unlikely that another company would want to put him in a video game but said it was only reasonable that he not tie his rights up for life.

White said he flew to San Jose in the summer to talk with the AKA fighters, but Fitch said the discussion was about a merchandising agreement.

"He wanted us to sign that merchandising agreement, and it was not a very good agreement," Fitch said. "There was not really a reason for us to sign it. The first thing they brought to us was for us to sign all of our rights away for everything forever. It was for very small compensation, and there was no compensation for family members if we were to die.

"We could die and they could make memorial figurines and stuff and make thousands, millions of dollars, and our families wouldn't see a penny of it. The way they bring the contracts and stuff to us, I don't know, it's just not how business is done."

Zinkin also represents UFC light heavyweight Chuck Liddell, though Liddell does not fight for AKA. White said he has been "beefing with Zinkin for years" and said he had to call Liddell, one of his closest friends, and tell him to get Zinkin to back off.

According to White, Liddell said Zinkin represented him on sponsorships and he would negotiate his own deals with the UFC.

Fitch said he has been a loyal UFC employee and said, "I'd only like a little bit of respect for the blood I shed for this company."

White said he has sacrificed more than anyone to build the UFC into the powerhouse it has become and that he's tired of athletes who don't want to "get with the program."

Velasquez, one of the sport's rising stars, clearly is on the outs with White. White said Zinkin wanted standard language that is part of every UFC fighter's contract removed from Velasquez's deal.

"Can you believe that?" White said. "Chuck Liddell has that language in his contract. Randy Couture has it. Anderson Silva has it. And Cain [expletive] Velasquez, with two [expletive] fights, wants us to change it for him? That's [expletive] nuts. He can get the [expletive] out.

"I'm not a douche bag and I do a lot for these guys, a lot more than any of you will ever know. We're in a horrible time in the economy now, and every guy with two nickels to rub together is making a run at us. We've worked too hard, given too much, to let certain guys come in and [expletive] with that."

Fitch said he's not trying to mess with anything and that he simply wants to fight. He said he always has been respectful in all his dealings with the UFC and said he can't understand the position he finds himself in without ever having spoken to White.

He plans to call White to discuss the situation but wasn't sure what move to make.

"I'm more than willing to work with them, but I don't see why we have to give up our whole lives for this," Fitch said. "Why not a time limit? If we did a 10-year deal with them, is that that unreasonable? I don't understand how this happened, honestly. It's tough."
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #175
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
UFC drops Jon Fitch, other American Kickboxing Academy fighters
Seems to me it's a piss poor decision from White. Talk about an egotistical boss strong arming his employees. "Sell your soul to the company or else."

I wouldn't doubt at all that if you don't bleed during the fight that they withdraw a pint in the locker room his consumption.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #176
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

That news is no longer true. Yesterday Fitch went above Dana White and spoke with Lorenzo directly and got things worked out. Fitch is back in the UFC and will still be fighting Aki Gono as scheduled.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #177
Tombstone

What about Brock vs Kimbo. I know that this would not be much of a technical fight but it would be good to see these two go at it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #178
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
That news is no longer true. Yesterday Fitch went above Dana White and spoke with Lorenzo directly and got things worked out. Fitch is back in the UFC and will still be fighting Aki Gono as scheduled.
Do you think they will ever get rid of Dana? I know he does a great deal for the UFC, but sometimes he seems to be a bit of a loose canon.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #179
kayaker

Here's the word. Looks like Jon changed his mind after talking to L. Fertitta.

Report: Jon Fitch will sign videogame agreement, returns to UFC
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:38 pm ET
Just 24 hours after Jon Fitch was kicked out of the UFC and scratched from a scheduled UFC 94 bout with Akihiro Gono, the top welterweight contender is now back with the organization, according to MMARated.com.

Saying he no longer wanted to work with the American Kickboxing Academy or the fighter's management team at Zinkin Entertainment, UFC President Dana White said he dismissed Fitch, who initially refused to sign a deal that would give the UFC the exclusive right to use his likeness in an upcoming videogame.

Fitch today agreed to sign the deal after speaking with UFC Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta, according to the report.

The fighter, who said he was disappointed by White's strong-arm tactics in trying to get him to sign the agreement, is now again scheduled to fight Gono at the Jan. 31 event in Las Vegas.

Fitch initially told Yahoo! Sports he simply didn't understand the need to sign over his rights with a lifetime contract, particularly since it would not pay his family in the event of his death, and that White balked at his management team's willingness to compromise with a five- or 10-year deal.

"It was all or nothing," Fitch said. "[White] wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."

In addition to Fitch, White on Wednesday also said he dropped Christian Wellisch from the organization and that fellow UFC fighters Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez were also in jeopardy of being cut from the UFC. There's no word if those fighters now plan to sign the agreement, as well.

The videogame in question, "UFC 2009 Undisputed," which is set for a mid-2009 release, is being produced by THQ.

Fitch (17-3 MMA, 8-1 UFC), who is currently ranked a world top-five welterweight, most recently fought in August and dropped a unanimous decision to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. It was his first loss in nearly six years and snapped his record eight-fight win streak in the UFC.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #180
LordOfWu

Dana needs to deal with business like a grown up, some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. I don't know why these guys keep taking this stuff to the press...I would expect the crap coming from Dana to come from an athlete, if you look at other major sports the 'organization' in general doesn't come out and attack players like this. I know Dana has done a lot for the UFC, but he has to stop taking this stuff personally, it makes him look retarded.