Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #21
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Shuriken Cutter: First Impressions

hows it function on lanceros, pantelas, torpedos, figurados, nubs, etc (alright, you dont have to answer that last one )? just curious, i think i'd give it a try as well, but im hesitant. my boss tried it at ipcpr, said it was kinda awkward but an interesting idea

stearns
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #22
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
hows it function on lanceros, pantelas, torpedos, figurados, nubs, etc (alright, you dont have to answer that last one )? just curious, i think i'd give it a try as well, but im hesitant. my boss tried it at ipcpr, said it was kinda awkward but an interesting idea

stearns
that's a great question. i haven't tried it on a shaped cigar yet but that's the next test. however, i've heard others who've used it on a torpedo say that it works, but again you have to put the cigar further in your mouth when drawing than you might be used to. that person said that with a torpedo they're not sure they're comfortable with it. i'll let you know as soon as i try it.

yeah, it is kinda awkward at first, as some new things are. i actually found a Xikar XI1 to be a little awkward the first time i used one. i'd say give it a shot if you get them at your shop (you said your boss was at ipcpr, i assumed that meant you worked at a B&M). i used it tonight for the 2nd time and i'm liking it even more now, but maybe that's just me.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio View Post
that's a great question. i haven't tried it on a shaped cigar yet but that's the next test. however, i've heard others who've used it on a torpedo say that it works, but again you have to put the cigar further in your mouth when drawing than you might be used to. that person said that with a torpedo they're not sure they're comfortable with it. i'll let you know as soon as i try it.

yeah, it is kinda awkward at first, as some new things are. i actually found a Xikar XI1 to be a little awkward the first time i used one. i'd say give it a shot if you get them at your shop (you said your boss was at ipcpr, i assumed that meant you worked at a B&M). i used it tonight for the 2nd time and i'm liking it even more now, but maybe that's just me.
indeed i do, however i doubt i'll see this coming through the door any time soon. ah well, im sure someone will bring one to a herf or something.

stearns
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #24
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review. I had written this cutter off as a gimic, but after reading your review I have realised it may be some thing I might try sometime. I wouldn't purchase one without trying it first so maybe I'll run into somebody with one at a herf or something. I am planning on getting a Palio next. I am also turned off by the shape and size of the cutter in the OP. It seems too cumbersome to carry in your pocket.

Are you excited to see me or is that a Shuriken cutter in your pocket?!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
vinnydisilvio

LOL shane...i'm sure if i met you i would be excited...and claim it was just a Shuriken.

you're right, i think the shape and size will put some people off. i'm used to carrying a lot in my pockets though, so i guess that's prepared me for this.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I am always excited to see shane
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
Fuzzy
True Derelict

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Fuzzy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review! I have the freebie from CI, looks identical to yours except mine is called a Fidello.

It appears to have the same six blades, too.

I have used it on a couple or three dozen cigars. Here is what I learned so far.

For big ring cigars say 55+, I push the cigar in to it stops.

For small ring cigars, I check the cap or make a guess and push the cigar but try to stop before it bottoms out. This kind of alleviates the need to put so much of the cigar in your mouth. This swag method also works on shaped cigars. After all, the reason to cut a cigar is to be able to draw it. Not much of a cut is needed to get through the cap.

This trying to guess how much to press the cigar into the cutter causes a learning curve that only takes a few tries to get a cut you like/want. All cutter types take a bit to learn except for (maybe) the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut, which I don't own, yet.

As for the claims on the description, advertisement writing is a skill to get you to spend your money.

Except for the size, I like mine and use it on every cigar smoked when I'm home. The "capsule" is to much for me to carry in my pocket.

I keep a punch on my key chain and a Palio in my Jeep. Even have a V-cut that some times resides in my travel-dor.

No so sure I would have bought one at 20 bucks, but now I am happy with it.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
vinnydisilvio

thanks for posting, bruce. i'll definitely keep your advice in mind when it comes to cutting different sizes/shapes of cigars.

yeah, i heard about the fidello after i heard about the shuriken but apparently they both started advertising a month or 2 before ipcpr. i don't know what's up with that, maybe someone forgot to patent their design.

but my question for you is: now that you've been using it for quite some time, would you say that a $20 price would have been worth it had you been convinced to buy it?

from my own point of view, there are a lot of cigar cutters out there that are more than $20 but the companies that make some of them also offer lifetime warranties...i'm thinking $20 is the right price for this. maybe it could have been priced at $15 but it seems like $20 isn't too much considering how much it can be used.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Guess these are not doing well. They are on C-monster mashup for 12.98
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Guess these are not doing well. They are on C-monster mashup for 12.98
Thanks for posting this! I just ordered one. $13? I'll wager for $13!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Lonely Raven

Where are you guys finding this for $13?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

shows up on cigarmonster.com every couple days. check between 11am and pm eastern time during the mashup
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #33
Lonely Raven

Thanks for that. I hadn't found that page yet.