Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Where's the world going to?

The last decade or so, I've seen a lot of shootings like the one in Columbine on the news, not just in the USA but also in Germany and Finland. Due to our restrictive gun laws I never thought anything like that would happen here in The Netherlands, but I was wrong.

yesterday a 24yo gunfreak killed 6 people in a mall, shot 16 others before he committed suicide. Why? I mean, if you want to commit suicide, do it, but why kills, injure and traumatize a lot of innocent people on the way?

CNN reports:

Quote:
Dutch officials say a gunman opened fire at a mall on Saturday, killing seven people and wounding 16 others before shooting himself in the head, a journalist with CNN affiliate SBS reported, citing police and other officials.

Bas Eenhoorn, mayor of Alphen aan den Rijn, told reporters that the 24-year-old suspected shooter -- identified only as Tristan V -- fired an automatic rifle and killed himself before police arrived on the scene.

The suspect, whose full name is being withheld until a formal investigation is concluded, is a Dutch national who was living with his father, police told SBS. Computer equipment and other materials were confiscated from the father's apartment after the shooting.

A farewell note was found at the suspect's mother's home. Police told SBS that the suspect claimed in the note that he had placed explosives in several commercial areas in Alphen.

The areas were evacuated as police conducted a search. As of 11 p.m., no explosives were found.

Three of the wounded mall victims are in critical condition, officials said Saturday night. The motive of the shooting was not known and no indication was given in the note.

Eenhoorn plans to hold meetings Sunday with some of the victims, SBS reported.
more from the BBC

I happen to know that mall, been there a couple of times for work. It's only a small mall, especially compared to malls in the USA and Asia, with not a lot of exits. People must have felt trapped, I can only imagine their fear.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where's the world going to?

Ferdi, I preach this everywhere i go brother: gun laws won't do what they are intended to do. Think about this, if I plan on killing someone, do you think the fact that guns are illegal is going to keep me from using a gun? Murder is illegal, what's a gun charge on top of that? Sorry I'll get off the soapbox.

That is tragic and I pray for all of those involved. I hate when **** like that happens. I'm surrounded by it daily because of where I work, but I do love my job.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

People like this give gunowners a bad name. It's a shame.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
People like this give gunowners a bad name. It's a shame.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Terrible to see this
Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
People like this give people a bad name. It's a shame.
Fixed that for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Ferdi, I preach this everywhere i go brother: gun laws won't do what they are intended to do. Think about this, if I plan on killing someone, do you think the fact that guns are illegal is going to keep me from using a gun? Murder is illegal, what's a gun charge on top of that? Sorry I'll get off the soapbox...
+1 Preach on brother
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, 20 years ago, this stuff was seldom seen (or seldom published). A generation later, it's all the rage.
I think you have your hardcore nutcases, guys who are completely disconnected and just do it to stop the voices in their head, that kind of thing. I can get that, I think anyone can on some level. Life can drive people nuts, to a point of rage where they'll shred the post office or workplace, that sort of thing.
Then there's the middle easters, they should be in their own category. I don't get that, I never will. It's 3,000 years of lunacy that I'll never wrap my head around.
But now there's this new emo-punker, my mommy didn't love me enough, my feelings are hurt, look at me, everyone owes me something generation. I get it. It comes out of screwing kids up from the way they're raised, because of parental guilt. Parents can't be there, so they give the kids everything their hearts desire and just set them loose on the world. Why some kids respond positively and some go completely off the deep end, I don't know.
Balance and love aren't gonna be there in the household for every kid, and it never was. Problem is, now they can't get it at school, the church isn't an option, and no one is there to step up and step in.
I hate to imagine it's something we'll just have to get used to, but I believe it'll have to get a lot worse before it ever gets better. It's truly sad.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this in todays morning paper. It's is very sad the extremes these "attention mongers" go to.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

guns laws or any law are only followed by civilized people. criminals dont care about laws and wont follow them.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I'm always saddened to hear about massacres like this. However, guns are an important tool for securing freedom.

Quote:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
Thomas Jefferson quoted and included this passage in his "Legal Commonplace Book." The original quote was from Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments.

People falsely believe that crime doesn't happen in this place or that, maybe because of the cost of living, the tough laws/punishments, etc. Fact is crime happens everywhere, even murder.

In the USA, the Supreme Court ruled on a case (Warren v. District of Columbia) stating that:

Quote:
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen."
Translation: Police have no legal obligation protect individuals, so you better protect yourself.

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/ka...rotection.html
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ferdie, the situation, or the answer to your last question is that if a person kills themself, only a few people remember them.
If they take 10 people with them, people remember the name, the face, the place and the actions. Sad but true.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Ferdie, the situation, or the answer to your last question is that if a person kills themself, only a few people remember them.
If they take 10 people with them, they remember the name, the face and the actions. Sad but true.
that, and if they are miserable they want others to be miserable too
Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
If they take 10 people with them, people remember the name, the face, the place and the actions. Sad but true.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

So Sorry To Hear This, Ferdie.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote