Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Junior

Default I need a Asylum Doc about Diabetes

I have a couple of questions, and tell me my Doctor could be wrong. I went in with a sinus infection today, and he came up with it and a possibility of Diabetes.

Off of the symtoms which have been going on for the last couple of months(frequent trips to the bathroom, constantly thirsty, and being tired frequently). He tested me for Diabetes. Should I be that worried about this or could it all be nothing?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need a Asylum Doc about Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I have a couple of questions, and tell me my Doctor could be wrong. I went in with a sinus infection today, and he came up with it and a possibility of Diabetes.

Off of the symtoms which have been going on for the last couple of months(frequent trips to the bathroom, constantly thirsty, and being tired frequently). He tested me for Diabetes. Should I be that worried about this or could it all be nothing?
Not a doc, but an EMT. Those are the some of the symptoms though. There is a test (I forget what it's called) maybe a glucose tolereance test. If that is what you had it will prolly give you a better idea. Hope that helps, a doctor could def be more in detail with it though.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Yeah, it's really beyond us to say- you'll have to wait for the results from your doc. I am diabetic and never had those symptoms- altho they are common ones. Good luck, but if you are so diagnosed it's certainly not the end of the world!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

If he tested your blood sugar he should have been able to give you some instant results/information. Did he say what type of Diabetes? Type I or Type II. Type II is also called "adult-onset" diabetes and usually shows up later in life or if you are obese.

I have it but mine was brought on partially because I was in an auto accident 12 years ago that messed up my back and I couldn't exercise at the same level as I had done most of my life. For example, I can't play racquet ball anymore. By the time I had back surgery my blood sugar was in the 190 - 200 range and the other things they test you for were higher than they were supposed to be. The good news is that I control mine with a couple of small pills twice a day and watching the amount of carbs I consume.

While it means I can't drink as much as I used to (I traded quantity for quality), it doesn't affect my cigar smoking.

As for sinus problems being related to diabetes, that's a new one to me. I'll ask my doctor when I go in for a routine check-up in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Junior

I was just there for the sinus, and told him about the other.

He did some blood test and urine test, but won't hear until tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
hoax

My Dad had those exact symptoms when he was diagnosed with diabetes.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

My Daughter is type 1 ...those are the symptoms ....
The tests should be for blood glucose and Keytones in the urine...
But results for those are available instantly ....
Old 03-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I've had type 1 Diabetes for about 8-9 years.

I don't want to frighten you, but I'll give you an idea of what it was like for me when I was diagnosed.

I weighed ~145 - 150 lbs at that age in highschool.

At the time of diagnosis I weighed 110lbs. (I had lost over 30 lbs of body fat) I was constantly thirsty. I drank over a couple gallons of water a day. Every time I ate, I'd get stomach cramps. This would especially be the case with breads and pastas. I'd wake up during the night no less than 3 to 4 times. I felt weak, constantly tired, and constantly irritable.

By the time I gave in and admitted there was something wrong and my parents took me to the doctor's office, I had collapsed from exhaustion after having only walked 15 feet with my book bag on the way to the bus.

That took ~ 3 months from the time they thought I 'got it' to the time I was diagnosed.

Granted this is type 1. Type 2 is a much slower developing problem.

If any of the conditions I listed above have increased in the past few months, sadly there's a good chance it's Diabetes. Only peace I can offer you is the fact that you're not alone and funding for Diabetes research is comparable to Cancer and Aids.

Best of luck. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

A quick way to figure out if you have diabetes or not... is by testing for ketoacidosis, or rather ketones in your urine.

Ketones are a biproduct of when your cells utilize fat energy instead of glucose in your bloodstream. They can't use the glucose due to insulin acting like a bridge from your bloodstream to your cells. Without the bridge, they can't pass. Your body turns to fat tissue and burns it. This creates acids as a biproduct, which are expelled through urine. Your body reacts to this by increasing urine output to dillute the acids and expel them. A biproduct of that is increased drinking. (ie. Water)

You can test for ketones in your urine using ketostrips which can be purchased at a local pharmacy for a few dollars. Piss on the strip and compare the color of it to the chart. If you have ketones (A large amount I mean).. there's a good chance it's Diabetes.

Last edited by JE3146; 03-05-2009 at 06:11 PM.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Cyanide

Hey Junior....I can't address this thread completely at this second. Suffice it to say that ya, what you are describing is pretty consistent with diabetes. Now, diabetes is a pretty wide spectrum of condtions (there is probably a dozen or more identified subtypes). But, I will see if I can answer some of your concerns in the next little while. But, I can't promise anything. If you have specific questions certianly PM me and I will do my best to answer those first.

Keep positive. There is alot that can be done to absolutely minimize the consequences as long as you are super motivated (always remember your health should be a part-time job, and thus should warrant the same effort as one would put into a part time job....I hope that is at least a smidgeon of inspiration).

Cheers

Cy
Old 03-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Junior

Thanks everyone. I still have my fingers crossed, and waiting on the call tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Cigary

Hopefully you will have a test they ran,,,A1C which checks for a 2-3 month period of time as to what your sugar levels have been. I have Diabetes and have dealt with it for about 10 years. Educate yourself with someone who is a Certified Diabetes Educator and not just a nutritionist or dietician. The more you know the better you will deal with this if you are indeed diagnosed with diabetes.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

My Husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. His syptoms were very thirsty and going to the bathroom a lot. I am still new to this, is there anything I can do to help with his journey?
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #13
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I have been diabetic for over 10 years, and only the past year or so have I had good control over my blood glucose. I guess my advice to you would be make sure your husband gets the education that is available on Diabetes. The clinic I use in the Twin Cities area was fantastic. Teaching without preaching. I tried everything as far as meds, but nothing seemed to work. My nurse talked to me about insulin, and we decided to try that. My problem was forgetfulness. I would be at lunch, and remember that my insulin was back at my office. We decided that an insulin pump would be a good tool for me, and it has. It's something that I have on me all the time. It reminds me when to check my blood, and I know if I eat something I should probably dose for it. My last 3 A1c tests have been normal.
I am not saying that you need to go research pumps, but saying that your husband will need to find a dr or nurse educator that he feels comfortable working with. While there is no cure, yet, there are numerous ways to control your diabetes. Don't get frustrated if something doesn't work.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.