Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Question Audio and Home Theater

Anyone really into audio equipment and home theather stuff?

I am looking for new speakers. Going 5 channel and a subwoofer. I want the speakers wall mounted except for the front which may be in front of TV. Not 100% I will mount TV, but will run wire a box for the center channel on the wall either way.

The speakers I am looking at are: Gallo Acoustics A'Diva Ti. What other small size speakers should I consider? The room is about 15 x 15.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Audio and Home Theater

While there may be a few audiophiles here, the place to look for a truly mind opening, well thought out, and fairly succinct answer would be, http://www.avsforum.com/
They are to AV what we are to cigars.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Resipsa

I agree with Pete as to AVS, but the downside of that site is it can get VERY technical, it's very heavy on the "science"'part at times. Lots of
Professional sound engineers, and it can seem a
Little overwhelming even for lay people with a lot
Of knowledge

Moses, if you're going wall hanging Magnepan makes a dynamite set of planar speakers specifically for that use, great bang for the buck as well n

What sub are you thinking about?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

HT is my addiction. I also agree with others on AVS forum. However, they can be intimidating or downright mean when folks do not use the search function. You should join up just to poke around.

I suppose since you are looking at Anthony Gallo, you want a very small form factor solution? Are you dead set on that? Look at Mirage Nano-Sat speakers also.

Last edited by hammondc; 11-06-2010 at 07:48 AM.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I find klipsch speakers to be the best bang for the buck. Getting ready to go pick up another pair of fronts that are narrow enough to fit in my enclosure for a recessed wall system. They are less than 7" across and part of their reference series. I'll post some pics when I get the project done.

AVS mentioned above is great for product reviews as well.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Right now I have a Def. Tech BP8 with 15" Def Tech Sub. Most likely will give that setup to my parents. I would use what ever sub comes with the next speaker set.

I am not crazy on it has to sound one way or another. I like a lot of clean mid-range in general.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I think we're outfitted with a polk audio setup 5.1. My brothers an audiophile and if they get his approval....they must be insane. I've only heard them a few times before as I watch everything on my computer, but they'll shake a few houses.....maybe more. I'd go ahead and check out Polk Audio.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Ive got an older set of Mirage and have been happy with them, cust. ser has been good too...blew a front ch. speaker a couple years ago , called them up and had a new one by the end of the week.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I've been really happy with the bic/Acoustech performance for the money.

But yeah, before I buy anything I search for it on the AVS forums, and have for the last nine years or so.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I got Martin Logans for fronts and center with Paradigm rears. Both make a fantastic speakers and are very happy with them!

Both make wall mounted speakers too.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I absolutely do not want floor speakers or speakers on stands. Floor space is too much of a premium in my living room. The Def Tech's sound fine, but do not suit my needs now.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road

If you are semi-competent at woodworking and following instructions, you may want to consider some DIY speakers. There are multiple sites dedicated to such pursuits. My info is about 13 years out of date, but back in 1997 when I got the HT / Audio bug, I wound up building my own from parts purchased on the 'net. I built five monitor types and two 12 inch subs. Bottom line was when all done I had spent about $1500-$1700 total, and when a friend of mine (who's a professional sound engineer) demoed the system, he was extremely impressed and I was told that had I purchased such speakers over the counter, I would easily have spent 15K or better.

Just my 2 cents worth and a little different slant on things. HTH.
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Resurrecting an old thread... Projectors plus cigar smoke - bad idea? If I have an exhaust fan, do I need to worry about ruining the projector? How much will smoke in the light either mess up the image or be distracting?
Trying to decide between a projector with retractable screen (somewhat easy to hide when not in use) and a 70" tv with potentially more work required to hide it.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Should be no problem. I think if you had a LOT of smoke it could block/washout the image.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Julian, think about it this way...
Glass windows at a cigar lounge or if you smoke in your car, how much residue (tar, et. al.) do you have to clean off the inside of the windows? How much gets deposited varies, but they do get gunked up eventually. Same thing can happen to the projector lens and even the front of the image display chip(s)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Can of compressed air once a week to blow out the dust bunnies...then pull the lens once every six months for a proper cleaning.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I would advise against it...Projectors can be PITA when it comes to environmental factors (I have repaired and serviced enough of them). Depending on the screen size you are looking for and quality, I would strongly recommend looking at a Large format TV. This time of year is one of the hardest times of the year to find certain sets but you will get the best pricing as the manufactures discontinue the existing lines.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
mmblz

Partagas

Getting a Klipsch RF-82 ii HT system. Normally this would include a Klipsch SW-115 sub.
Trying to decide between SW-115, dual SW-110's for the same price, or pay a bit more and get something SVS - possibly a PC12-Plus...

This will be set up in a big room, about 20x50.

Any thoughts? I've googled ad-infinitum, and don't want to actually post on avsforum
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #19
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Go as big as you can on the sub. Whats the budget? SVS, HSU are fantastic. There are also the boutique brands out there that give everything a run.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
mmblz

Partagas

ordered a pb-12plus