Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #701
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I emailed famous to ask.

".......I ordered a five pack and five singles. The fiver had a dated slip of paper attached to its bag and each of the singles had one glued to its wrapper or tube or in the baggie with it......Are these the dates when the cigars arrived at Famous and entered your humidors?...."

and they got back to me this morning.

"Hi Tim,
First of all, thank you for joining our Famous Smoke Shop family.
And yes, you are correct. We date all product when it is received into the warehouse......."

This is a great idea IMO. If other vendors don't do it they should.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #702
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

I received a package last night from famous and purposely looked for this as well. All of the sticks I got from them had it on there.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #703
mukky
NOOB

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road

ok, so I have read the disputes about whether or not to leave the cello on, and I am still kind of confused. My confusion lies in whether or not to leave cello on a box purchase as opposed to singles. If you buy a box, do you leave the cello on each cigar or remove them? It would seem to me, that with the box and cello protecting the cigars, there is very little airflow or room for humidity to get to the cigars. Seems that it would take much longer for the intended humidity to be achieved? So what do you guys do when you buy a box? I'm sure I am going to get different responses, so if you could tell me your reasoning, hopefully I can make a decision on what to do based on that. Hope this makes sense, and sorry for the long post?
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #704
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukky View Post
ok, so I have read the disputes about whether or not to leave the cello on, and I am still kind of confused. My confusion lies in whether or not to leave cello on a box purchase as opposed to singles. If you buy a box, do you leave the cello on each cigar or remove them? It would seem to me, that with the box and cello protecting the cigars, there is very little airflow or room for humidity to get to the cigars. Seems that it would take much longer for the intended humidity to be achieved? So what do you guys do when you buy a box? I'm sure I am going to get different responses, so if you could tell me your reasoning, hopefully I can make a decision on what to do based on that. Hope this makes sense, and sorry for the long post?
I can sum up the answers you're going to get because that was a question I had to begin with and read ALL OVER about it... "Its just your preference"
Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #705
waffle

So I have a humidor thats been seasoning for 3 days and its been at a constant 74% for 2 days... does that mean its seasoned and ready to be used?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #706
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukky View Post
Leave it on, take it off... just a preference. Cigars are tough, a lot tougher than we give credit for. I leave my on, because... I am just too lazy to take all the cello off one by one AND it does not make a difference imo.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #707
mukky
NOOB

Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
I can sum up the answers you're going to get because that was a question I had to begin with and read ALL OVER about it... "Its just your preference"
lol. If I could sum up everything, and I mean everything, there is to cigar smoking in one sentence, it would be..."Its your preference"
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #708
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Leave it on, take it off... just a preference. Cigars are tough, a lot tougher than we give credit for. I leave my on, because... I am just too lazy to take all the cello off one by one AND it does not make a difference imo.
Speaking of tough.. you get my NST package
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #709
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
So I have a humidor thats been seasoning for 3 days and its been at a constant 74% for 2 days... does that mean its seasoned and ready to be used?
Yes. It's a little high though....I'd take the water out, let the humidity drop to 65%, fill with cigars and beads, and shut the lid. Then you're all set
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #710
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
Yes. It's a little high though....I'd take the water out, let the humidity drop to 65%, fill with cigars and beads, and shut the lid. Then you're all set
I would put the cigars in right away as they will absorb some of the excess humidity. If you wait until it drops to 65% then when you put the cigars in, it will likely drop well below 60%.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #711
mahtofire

Not really a noob questions but I've been away from the forums and the industry for a couple years now....what have I missed that I need to try?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #712
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire View Post
Not really a noob questions but I've been away from the forums and the industry for a couple years now....what have I missed that I need to try?
That all depends on what you like and who you ask. The best advice I can give you is to read the threads here on the forum - Reviews, Cigar Discussion, etc. The answers you get from your post will be quite varied.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #713
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:

Everything...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #714
mahtofire

I want the answers to be varied. I just wanted to know what the newer good quality cigars that came out over the last couple years may be.

Don't worry, I like trying cigars different cigars...........
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #715
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I want the answers to be varied. I just wanted to know what the newer good quality cigars that came out over the last couple years may be.

Don't worry, I like trying cigars different cigars...........
You could get 100's of different answers to this. Just read around some of the reviews and threads about different cigar makers and make your own determinations.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #716
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
You could get 100's of different answers to this. Just read around some of the reviews and threads about different cigar makers and make your own determinations.
I would agree. Different strokes for different strokes. I have tried some that got rave reviews and didnt like and vise versa. Wish I could be of more help!!
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #717
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I would put the cigars in right away as they will absorb some of the excess humidity. If you wait until it drops to 65% then when you put the cigars in, it will likely drop well below 60%.
Took your advice, they are now happily living in the new humi I may be investing in a couple of icepacks due to our A/C going out and my humis getting up in heat... other question, currently, I have a dual temp wine fridge that we're not using the bottom half of, could I just stick my humis in that or is that bad for the humis?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #718
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Took your advice, they are now happily living in the new humi I may be investing in a couple of icepacks due to our A/C going out and my humis getting up in heat... other question, currently, I have a dual temp wine fridge that we're not using the bottom half of, could I just stick my humis in that or is that bad for the humis?
Won't hurt the humidor unless it gets condensate raining down on it.

Long term storage in a compressor cooled unit might be detrimental to the cigars due to the way the compressor based units dehydrate the air, but with the cigars inside a sealed humidor placed in a compressor cooled unit, this effect will be minimized.

How long is your AC going to be out for? A week? Less? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #719
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
How long is your AC going to be out for? A week? Less? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Not sure, we're having a hard time getting anyone to come out and ACTUALLY figure out what's wrong with our system.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #720
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

That's rough man... good luck with getting it fixed!

You're sticks should survive... not sure how much you could really do except keep them out of any sunny areas and potentially put them in a basement if you have one....

Quote:
Not sure, we're having a hard time getting anyone to come out and ACTUALLY figure out what's wrong with our system.
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote