Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuban tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
I would like to see a blend that combined the rich mouthfeel and taste of Nicaraguan tobacco with the wider aromatic horizons of Cuban leaf, say a Nic Corojo wrapper, Cuban Binder and filler with a bit of Nic Ligero in the filler for some kick. Now that would be a hell of a cigar.
Just the nic wrapper with no ligero would be incredible, I bet. I'd think the ligero would overpower the other filler. It'd sure be awesome to try it, regardless!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Just the nic wrapper with no ligero would be incredible, I bet. I'd think the ligero would overpower the other filler. It'd sure be awesome to try it, regardless!!!
Hell Scott, just soak and peel the wrapper off a DPG blue and put it on a Siglo VI and you've made that cigar yourself
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
True but you don't have to buy in Canada.
You do unless you want to risk VERY expensive tariffs/duties/fines being applied by the friendly customs agent to your shipment of chocolate from Switzerland. Especially considering the Swiss have recently changed their shipping guidelines the odds of packages making it through customs and into Canada unaffected are less and less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
If you're paying $18 for a CAO Brazilia in Canada, it would be more appropriate to simply state that cigars are expensive there, CC or NC. I've spent less than that on a fiver of Brazilia before SCHIP was passed.
Welcome to taxation This is also the reason why no one in Canada thought that SCHIP was a particularly big deal. Even with the increase in taxation resulting from that bill, the taxes applied to tobacco in the US are still just a very small fraction of what we're dinged with up here.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 03-09-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: combined posts
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Iirc, pre-embargo cc's were nearly all, if not all, made with Connecticut , wrappers.

I've never heard that. I did, however, read a claim once (but only once) that most if not all pre-embargo wrappers were sun-grown instead of shade-grown.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I have been told by several folks that the Cubans are now importing tobacco because they simply don't have enough for all the cigars they produce. Not sure if this is true, but it kinda makes sense. Then again, could just be sour grapes from folks who can't get Cuban cigars.........
Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #26
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I have been told by several folks that the Cubans are now importing tobacco because they simply don't have enough for all the cigars they produce. Not sure if this is true, but it kinda makes sense. Then again, could just be sour grapes from folks who can't get Cuban cigars.........
I seriously doubt that.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

One of the owners of a shop I frequent in Germany has mentioned that they fear that when the US embargo is finally lifted, Europe will no longer be be able to obtain CCs because they will all go to the states.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
That rumor has been floating around for many, many years. It might have some truth to it, or it might not have any. What it is though is often repeated, but there has never been any credible documentation to back it up. I think Rolando Reyes even once claimed in CA that he was selling tobacco to Cuba. Now isn't that just convenient, a non-Cuban cigar manufacturer making a statement subtly degrading Cuban cigars in a periodical that is widely circulated in the country that is the primary source of sales for his cigars, and Cuban cigars are one of his competitors.

It's a good rumor for the NC producers to have out there, but anyone can claim anything, regardless of a lack of proof. It's very unlikely that Cubatabaco is going to file a lawsuit for libel in the US.

Last edited by T.G; 03-09-2010 at 01:35 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #29
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbikes View Post
In speaking with several industry insiders, the Cuban blenders are all ready experimenting with "imported" tobaccos. I did not believe it when I heard this the first time, but having it confirmed by people that "used to be" key people in the Cuban cigar industry, I now believe it. So don't be suprised when you see Cuban cigars that are not puros.
Garry
Quote:
This goofy rumor's been happening for years now. There's no way in Hell Cuba would pay precious money or trade other valuable resources for tobacco they consider inferior. And besides that, there's no evidence whatsoever of tobacco shipments of any kind going into Cuba. And lastly, this rumor always seems to be spread by "people in the industry" who have a vested interest in misleading you and improving the image of their product and detracting from the image of their world competitor, and who aren't necessarily trustworthy just because they "would know" if it was happening. I don't trust anyone who is or is trying to sell me something.

Cuba has enough tobacco for the cigars they produce; this is because their production is limited by the tobacco. They only produce cigars if they can make them. They are preparing for a possible "sudden demand increase" (ahem) by testing and approving new fields for planting, so they do still have a good bit of potential for growth in production. At least that's my interpretation of the information.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
And lastly, this rumor always seems to be spread by "people in the industry" who have a vested interest in misleading you and improving the image of their product and detracting from the image of their world competitor, and who aren't necessarily trustworthy just because they "would know" if it was happening. I don't trust anyone who is or is trying to sell me something.
I love hearing this from major companies Reps. That and that if you buy Cuban cigars, at least half the box will be plugged. I just smile and nod my head.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #31
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Iif you buy Cuban cigars, at least half the box will be plugged. I just smile and nod my head.
Man that pisses me off.
Must be only me that it happens to.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I heard that everything that fails drawtest doesn't go back to be reworked, it really goes into a special storage area just waiting for your order to come in.

I'd start airboarding the fish if I were you, they must be in cahoots with the manufacturer and vendors.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #33
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Man that pisses me off.
Must be only me that it happens to.
Yeah, I always request that I not get the boxes marked "For Carlos in S. Florida".
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #34
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yeah, I always request that I not get the boxes marked "For Carlos in S. Florida".
LMAO!

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #35
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Quote:
I bet every Carlos in S. Florida has cigars with draw problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
One of the owners of a shop I frequent in Germany has mentioned that they fear that when the US embargo is finally lifted, Europe will no longer be be able to obtain CCs because they will all go to the states.

The embargo is not going anywhere.

But if it ever does get lifted, have fun looking for legit cigars, or cigars that are made well for that matter
Old 03-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #37
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
That rumor has been floating around for many, many years. It might have some truth to it, or it might not have any. What it is though is often repeated, but there has never been any credible documentation to back it up. I think Rolando Reyes even once claimed in CA that he was selling tobacco to Cuba. Now isn't that just convenient, a non-Cuban cigar manufacturer making a statement subtly degrading Cuban cigars in a periodical that is widely circulated in the country that is the primary source of sales for his cigars, and Cuban cigars are one of his competitors.

It's a good rumor for the NC producers to have out there, but anyone can claim anything, regardless of a lack of proof. It's very unlikely that Cubatabaco is going to file a lawsuit for libel in the US.
That is why I take this with a large grain of salt! The other oft-repeated statement I hear is that the Cuban fields have been worked to death, and the quality is now poor. Dunno, but the ones I have had sure do taste good! and they weren't all vintage, either.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #38
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
The embargo is not going anywhere.

But if it ever does get lifted, have fun looking for legit cigars, or cigars that are made well for that matter
I agree. Add taxes on top of that and the em-bar-geaux going away would be a terrible thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Honestly I don't want to see the embargo end from a cigar buying point of view. They're a lot cheaper than domestics. Now for the Cuban people, yes I would.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #40
Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Thats not actually a very true statement.
When I saw that statment I was thinking he clearly hadn't been to Mr Rudo or Mr Chens domicile.