Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Pretty happy ...

So after watching the videos of loading a bowl I went with the "shakes hands with a child, a woman, a man" method then pushed down a bit with my thumb and rotated the bowl, don't know if that really helped but I did it anyway.

I loaded up with some Squadron Leader (thanks again Steve!), set my flame and did the false burn, let it go out, tamped a bit and then lit it. The bowl stayed lit this time, I tamped down a bit every few puffs. At first I was afraid I was tamping down too firmly but it seemed to be working. Pipe stayed lit until I set it down for a few minutes, not sure if it should have stayed lit or not but it didn't.

I know it's a long process to get it down, I think I could have actually put more tobacco in and the other thing is learning when something is smoking hot, I'm paranoid over smoking it too hot, cupping the cob bowl in my hand while smoking I could def feel the warmth but it wasn't actually "hot", I think I need to find someone local smoking a pipe and feel their bowl

Thanks to every one for all the help and tips so far
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pretty happy ...

There seem to be more advice and rules for pipes than for marriage! Some like the tradition and 'dance' of doing this and that just so. Not so long ago you were expected to have a smoking jacket also! (My dad had one)

My only input would be to do as you want and enjoy. Pack like an English gentleman or just stuff some in and set it on fire. The whole idea is not the process but to enjoy your smoke!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Enjoy the journey Adam

I have never wanted to smoke a pipe but if I did it would be a Devil Anse Hatfield style, I really dig the look of this style.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  25.0 KB
Old 12-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Take 'backy - insert - light - enjoy.

You'll figure it out......
Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Wait, slow down you're going to fast and I'm a slow reader!
Old 12-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Sounds like you did well with your first bowl. I recently started myself, (October) and it takes some time to get right. Every different pipe/tobacco combination seems to require minor tweaks to the whole packing/lighting/tamping exercise, but its worth it when your blowing out large clouds of delicious smoke.

Enjoy the journey!!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Wait, slow down you're going to fast and I'm a slow reader!
What Neil said....

Pack it to the top... Light it... and Enjoy
Old 12-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
AdamJoshua

I have discovered I'm terrible at judging what's left in the bowl, I always think it's almost gone when it really isn't, I suppose stop thinking about it and smoke it down to ash would be the answer that that.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

I find that the bottom sometimes is wet. It doesnt burn very well and keeps going out. I end up tossing that bottom percentage of baccy because of that. You could use a lesser baccy as the bottom and load your yummy stuff after that. With a good blend that is just what I do. But dont worry about that small level of unsmoked wet stuff. its part of the deal.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I've always had this issue. Im a noob, but I always think I'm done and then I knock it out of the pipe and there's still a good pinch left.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

I read some great advice, your tobacco should always be dryer than you think. I have been letting certain tobaccos air dry a bit before smoking and what a difference, that and gentle tamping occasionally, just those two things and bowls stay lit much easier, much more smoke and almost no gurgle anymore.

I brought a corn cob to work with some Bulls Eye, which is a generic version of the De Luxe Navy, instead of going out and lighting up a Monte 4 or 5, smoking a bit, purging and clipping, now I can just pack up a bowl and puff away to my heart's content, stash the pipe in my favorite tree and head back in, this is working out very well and I think my cigar collection is going to thank me, I know my wallet is.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Quote:
I read some great advice, your tobacco should always be dryer than you think. I have been letting certain tobaccos air dry a bit before smoking and what a difference, that and gentle tamping occasionally, just those two things and bowls stay lit much easier, much more smoke and almost no gurgle anymore.

I brought a corn cob to work with some Bulls Eye, which is a generic version of the De Luxe Navy, instead of going out and lighting up a Monte 4 or 5, smoking a bit, purging and clipping, now I can just pack up a bowl and puff away to my heart's content, stash the pipe in my favorite tree and head back in, this is working out very well and I think my cigar collection is going to thank me, I know my wallet is.
Wait. You stash a pipe in a tree?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
AdamJoshua

It's in our smoking area, think small enchanted forest, you know for elves and other cookie makers. Yup there's a nice little notch up in the branches, fits in just right. It's safe, it's protected from the weather and I'm sure there are other things I can point out that I can't think of, oh it's a corncob I paid like 4 bucks for.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You should screw a pipe stand to the tree so your coworkers can stash their pipes, too.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
AdamJoshua

That would just attract those little Keebler bastards and no they don't bring cookies.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #16
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know it's a long process to get it down, I think I could have actually put more tobacco in and the other thing is learning when something is smoking hot, I'm paranoid over smoking it too hot, cupping the cob bowl in my hand while smoking I could def feel the warmth but it wasn't actually "hot", I think I need to find someone local smoking a pipe and feel their bowl
Having just started out myself (only 3 bowls lit until now) I have exactly the same struggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog View Post
...Not so long ago you were expected to have a smoking jacket also...
Wait, smoking jackets aren't required anymore?
Then why in the world am I putting it on before I light up a smoke (either cigar or pipe)
Old 12-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #17
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Having just started out myself (only 3 bowls lit until now) I have exactly the same struggles
After reading through the treads I have started letting the tabac dry out a bit on a paper towel before loading and lighting up, it's really the difference maker. Tobacco should always be dryer than you think <- Wise words, wise words indeed.